Sony a6000 vs Canon EOS T5i

ionbasa

Both come with kit lenses for the same price. I really need a new camera, and the deals at best buy are insane.

Thoughts?

I'm leaning towards the a6000 since its mirrorless, it means I can take it on my hiking, backpacking, and camping trips with relatively more ease than the Canon full DSLR body.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

My friend has a Sony a6000 that I've fiddled with.  It's a nice little camera and takes some crisp shots; however, for my personal use I could not go without a viewfinder.  While testing out his camera I repeatedly put it up to my face and attempted to look through the viewfinder that was not there which was embarrassing.  

I don't like a screen for setting up shots, but if you can deal with it and prefer the size I'd go for the Sony.

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

T5i for viewfinder!

And if youre holding the A6000 for awhile youre hands are gonna start cramping, or at least my did :(

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Canon is good if you want the optical viewfinder, but the Sony is very compact.  I switched to Mirrorless (Panasonic G7) from DSLR (Canon T3i) and so far I've been satisfied.

snip

We can't tell you what you should get.  It all boils down to your preferences and what you want in a camera.  A6000, Canon T5i, to me they're all entry level consumer cameras that perform nearly the same.

Now if you want to compare REAL cameras like the Sony A7r II or A7sII vs a Canon 5Dmk III, 5Ds or Nikon D810, D750... that's an entirely different matter.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Canon is good if you want the optical viewfinder, but the Sony is very compact.  I switched to Mirrorless (Panasonic G7) from DSLR (Canon T3i) and so far I've been satisfied.

I'm fine without an optical viewfinder. 

We can't tell you what you should get.  It all boils down to your preferences and what you want in a camera.  A6000, Canon T5i, to me they're all entry level consumer cameras that perform nearly the same.

True. But they are both on crazy deals at the moment. I;ve always been the type of person that likes to optimize for the best 'bang for the buck'

I ended up buying the a6000 by the way. the compact body means it will be easier for me to take on my trips. It also has an larger sensor, and faster continuous shoot fps. If im not happy, I can always return it and get another camera.

This is the kit I ended up buying: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-alpha-a6000-mirrorless-camera-with-16-50mm-and-55-210mm-lens-kit-black/4322004.p?id=1219752551467&skuId=4322004

• 16-50mm Power Zoom lens
  • 55-210mm Telephoto lens (SEL55210/B)
  • 32Gb SD card
  • Carrying case
Not too shabby if you ask me.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

snip

Both cameras are capable of taking good photos.  You only find differences if you were doing technical measurements which most of the time has no application in real world usage.  Buy excellent quality glass and shoot in RAW if you're worried about these things.

You really shouldn't give too much credence to test scores. Photography and cameras are not something you can quantify into discrete values of measurements. If it could, everyone would be buying the most modern and best quality glass.  Yet there are many photographers who use modern cameras with old vintage lenses that tend not to provide the clean crisp look of a modern lens.  And there are photographers who use old cameras with modern lenses.  Because to create a good photo, less than half the work is ever done by the tool (camera, lens, etc.).  The majority of the creativity, talent lies in the person using the tool.

Look at this lens adapter for Sony cameras, it will obviously add more lens flare to the photo than you might ever want.  Yet there will be people who buy it because it provides the look and feel they want to capture without resorting to post processing.  There are even some photographers who take photos by just holding the lens up to the camera without actually mounting it.  Because they want the light leak effect.  It's called lens whacking.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

rue. But they are both on crazy deals at the moment. I;ve always been the type of person that likes to optimize for the best 'bang for the buck'

I ended up buying the a6000 by the way

The A6000 is a WAY better camera so congrats on the choice :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Obviously have never compared a Canon, Sony or Canon in the real world. Basically you know NOTHING!

I've owned cameras from all three brands and more, I've worked and are working with them and basically all three brands have tools that allow me to do my job.  I don't need to put them under a microscope and check if one brand does a task 10% better than another brand.  Along with additional experience (not just experience with product brands) and knowledge, I've selected which camera from which brand will be suitable for what I need to do.

Nikon DSLRs: primary gear for photography

Canon advanced compacts: primary camera for underwater work

Fuji: camera for casual use

Sony: primary video camera

Hasselblad: main vintage camera

GoPro: sports and action camera

iPhone: quick snapshots

T5i for viewfinder!

And if youre holding the A6000 for awhile youre hands are gonna start cramping, or at least my did :(

I have the same issue when using my Fuji X-E2, hence I avoid using it outside of casual stuff or when I need a discreet camera (i.e. street photography).  And when I need to use long focal length lenses, it just feels out of balance.  Big lens, small camera.

But mirrorless or compact cameras are great for travelers.  Smaller and lighter gear to carry around.