Can I use my desktop PC as a file server while I use it for other stuff?

Jaquavius

Ok, so I got this PC with a 4th gen i5 and 16 Gb Ram with and SSD and several TB drives and Win 8.

I use it for a lot of photoshopping. Sometimes others need to access those photos from other computers on the same network.

Instead of the typical "share" function is there a way that I can allow others to access just my TB drives (on the same network). It would essentially be like a NAS, but I would still use the computer normally and when I want to share something I drag it over into those TB drives and others can grab it from their PCs. But they shouldn't have access to my boot drive.

Would it affect the speed of my PC when others grab these files?

You can use FTP with FileZilla.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Would it affect the speed of my PC when others grab these files?

Yes when they acess the files it use hardisk capacity ( speed ) from the PC

But not more than 40MB/s unless you use a nerdy linus router so if you have a SSD you shouldent notice any issues.

Just download filezilla and set it up

You can use FTP with FileZilla.

Yes when they acess the files it use hardisk capacity ( speed ) from the PC

But not more than 40MB/s unless you use a nerdy linus router so if you have a SSD you shouldent notice any issues.

Alright, but when you use WIndows share feature it is visually at least very easy. The other person opens file explorer, clicks on Bob's PC and takes what they want from their computer. Is there any way to make it that easy, but restrict people from accessing my boot drive?

Thanks for the answers btw :)

With FileZilla, would it be almost that easy? I have never used it. Would I just install the FileZilla server and then have the others install and use the FileZilla client? And in the FIleZilla client, can you view the images in a grid before you download them like you can in file explorer?

Alright, but when you use WIndows share feature it is visually at least very easy. The other person opens file explorer, clicks on Bob's PC and takes what they want from their computer. Is there any way to make it that easy, but restrict people from accessing my boot drive?

You can then try sharing the entire 1TB drive by right clicking on the respective partition, click properties and navigate to the Sharing tab.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

You can then try sharing the entire 1TB drive by right clicking on the respective partition, click properties and navigate to the Sharing tab.

That sounds like a pretty solid plan. And do you know if this sharing will work between Win 7, Win 8, and Win 10? Is there any way to make it work between Windows and OS X? Or would I need a 3rd party software like FileZilla?

That sounds like a pretty solid plan. And do you know if this sharing will work between Win 7, Win 8, and Win 10? Is there any way to make it work between Windows and OS X? Or would I need a 3rd party software like FileZilla?

It should work between W7, W8, and W10. In regards to OS X, it could work through there, but you may need to use FileZilla.

With FileZilla, would it be almost that easy? I have never used it. Would I just install the FileZilla server and then have the others install and use the FileZilla client? And in the FIleZilla client, can you view the images in a grid before you download them like you can in file explorer?

If you need policies like that just use a dedicated server with windows server 2008 r2 but i dont feel like explaining how. If you do that you can also set webserver instead of ftpserver I used it for a couple things including counter strike server where the webserver was the server files to bypass goldsrc transfer limit and users

Were not allowed to acess spesific file extensions.