So what is the deal with my CPU core temperatures

binman13

Hey all, so I'm honestly looking for a bit of info on what is going on with my CPU temperatures.

I have a liquid cooling loop which tends to do the job pretty damn well as far as keeping the system actually cool, but whenever I put even a moderate bit of load on my CPU, the core temperatures basically level out at 80 degrees or just under, while the CPU package temperature is sitting happily and constant at 45 degrees (sitting just above my other components as they idle indicating it's around fluid temperature).

is this 30/35-odd degree temperature gap normal for core v package temp? or have I just managed to get a dud internal thermal interface.

3770k clocked at 4.6 Ghz at 1.3 Vcore by the way

Hey all, so I'm honestly looking for a bit of info on what is going on with my CPU temperatures.

I have a liquid cooling loop which tends to do the job pretty damn well as far as keeping the system actually cool, but whenever I put even a moderate bit of load on my CPU, the core temperatures basically level out at 80 degrees or just under, while the CPU package temperature is sitting happily and constant at 45 degrees (sitting just above my other components as they idle indicating it's around fluid temperature).

is this 30/35-odd degree temperature gap normal for core v package temp? or have I just managed to get a dud internal thermal interface.

3770k clocked at 4.6 Ghz at 1.3 Vcore by the way

You may have one of the poorly TIM coated CPUs - intel tried to cut costs on their 3570k and 3770k CPUs and used a cheaper (i.e. crappy) TIM between the processor and the CPU "lid".  There are a ton of videos out there of people "de-lidding" their CPUs and replacing the intel crap-tastic OEM stuff with a decent TIM.  Temp drops are on the order or 20 degrees or so.

What's happening is your cooling loop is cooling of the top of the CPU casing just great, but the CPU top is poorly thermally connected to the actual CPU, so the CPU doesn't cool well.

1st google example link: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2261855

Folding For Linus since July 2015