Raid 10 for Fraps?

Slater

So i've been planning my computer build and i've planned to have a raid 10 array of hard drives to act as a storage array. I'll have a seperate SSD where my OS will be installed and applications. Having said that, my games will be installed on the SSD so i'll be recording to the raid array since recording to the SSD would just kill it. My main concern is whether or not the raid array will be able to keep up with the recording...

I intend to record at 1080p @ 30fps at most. From what i've seen around the web that will mean i'll need around ~180MB/s write speed, though i'm not too sure though. The drives i've initially been planning on using are the WD 3TB red drives. But for fraps i think i'd need the WD Black drives for a better chance of keeping up with recording.

Even so, would having 4x 2TB WD black drives in raid 10 be fast enough for recording with fraps in 1080p at 30fps without any frame drops or general issues?

On an unrelated note, would it be a better idea to get an external capture card like the Live Gamer portable (i don't want to use an internal one) and use that to record gameplay?

Blue Nebula = CPU: Intel i7 4770K @Stock || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 || RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance LP || GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti Superclocked @Stock || Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero || SSD: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro || HDD: 4x2TB WD Black in Raid10 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i || Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced || Keyboard: Corsair K70 (MX Blues) || Mouse: Corsair M95 || Mousepad: Razer Goliathus 2013 Extended Speed || Monitors: Eizo Foris FS2333 + Old Samsung monitor || Headset: Beyerdynamic MMX2 || =>My Youtube Gaming Channel<= || =>My Twitch.tv Channel<=

1 black drive would be fast enought so do whatever you want.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, MSI GTX 560TI Twin Frozr 2, 2x500GB drives, cheapo 500w PSU, cheapo HP Pavilion Elite m9000 case
#KilledMyWife

1 black drive would be fast enought so do whatever you want.

essentially, Black drives are extremely fast and don't lag that bad when you record, but I personally would use Dxtory to make that lag not as bad

Think one drive tends to be enough without causing a slow down in most cases, plenty of people on youtube who produce 1080p content use a single drive, so I imagine your setup would maybe make it smoother probably. To be honest, seagate drives are just as good but don't have the long warranty like blacks, so it's up to you really, do you "need" to run a RAID10? Not necessarily, but, do you "want" a RAID10? :P

Main PC: i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz Corsair H100i V2 | MSI GD65-Z77A | NZXT Tempest 410 Elite | MSI 1080Ti Gaming | Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB @ 1600Mhz | 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Seagate 2TB | Corsair RM650x

So the general consensus i'm getting here is that 1 black drive is enough so a raid 10 array of black drives will also be enough since its also got the speed of raid 0. If that's the case then i'll change my plan for using red drives to black ones. As for whether i'd "need" a raid10...i guess i find the fact that if 1 drive goes down i won't suffer for it appealing. So with recorded content i should still be able to use/rebuild them if i replace the broken drive.

Blue Nebula = CPU: Intel i7 4770K @Stock || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 || RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance LP || GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti Superclocked @Stock || Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero || SSD: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro || HDD: 4x2TB WD Black in Raid10 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i || Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced || Keyboard: Corsair K70 (MX Blues) || Mouse: Corsair M95 || Mousepad: Razer Goliathus 2013 Extended Speed || Monitors: Eizo Foris FS2333 + Old Samsung monitor || Headset: Beyerdynamic MMX2 || =>My Youtube Gaming Channel<= || =>My Twitch.tv Channel<=

Sorry for the double post but seeing as i already have this thread and i don't want to spam the forum with threads i've decided to just use this one for my slightly related question:

What stripe size should i use for my raid 10 array knowing that i'll be recording large files to it, but keeping in mind that it is also going to be used for storage of other files such as documents, pictures, videos, program installers and also video editting? I've read that usually its best to have a bigger stripe size and i think it would help the actual video recording files. But what about the other stuff?