Debating switching fanboyism....

N3rot0xin

My next motherboard will be MSI for sure, even if I have to spend more.

I know this sounds really nitpicky, but why the hell does MSI have to use such a freaking large case badge with their boards? I love the logo on the chipset but the case badge is ridiculous.  :lol:

MSI%20Z97%20G5%20InTheBox.png

That would make my system look like it belongs to a twelve year old. I like the little case badges like Intel puts with their cpus, EVGA with their gpus, and so on.

Though the performance is roughly the same between the 200 series and 300 series, don't be fooled into thinking they're the same card. I have a 290 and 390 and spent a month testing and inspecting, two completely different cards with similar chips. Saying the 2390 is an overclocked 290 would be like saying the 970 is a 390 because the fps performance is similar.

Oh, and my 4690k is a beast. A fucking beast. 4690k for the win

What's the difference? I thought the 390 was basically better binned Hawaii chips and with much better (and more) memory that can run something like 15-20% faster. And sometimes better coolers (e.g., MSI Gaming)

I know this sounds really nitpicky, but why the hell does MSI have to use such a freaking large case badge with their boards? I love the logo on the chipset but the case badge is ridiculous.  :lol:

That would make my system look like it belongs to a twelve year old. I like the little case badges like Intel puts with their cpus, EVGA with their gpus, and so on.

Easy to answer, you never see it. The GPU covers it up. BUT, those shopping for a board see that and go "cooool"

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Though the performance is roughly the same between the 200 series and 300 series, don't be fooled into thinking they're the same card. I have a 290 and 390 and spent a month testing and inspecting, two completely different cards with similar chips. Saying the 2390 is an overclocked 290 would be like saying the 970 is a 390 because the fps performance is similar.

Oh, and my 4690k is a beast. A fucking beast. 4690k for the win

Different graphics cards yes, the GPU is still the same however.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

a GTX 570 performs the same or worse than a 965M lol

580 loses to a 970M

It does beat it in heat output tho. :D

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

What's the difference? I thought the 390 was basically better binned Hawaii chips and with much better (and more) memory that can run something like 15-20% faster. And sometimes better coolers (e.g., MSI Gaming)

I could bore you to death, but the short of it is the 290 uses 30w more power at full load and makes more heat, but does a better job with games (aside from fps, not everything is about fps) and the 390 runs cooler and uses less power while providing a few extra fps in some games.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Assuming I can get everything for around this price, this is the computer i'll be building. That ram really surprised me. I could even opt for a 980TI if tax season is good to me. But that might be over powered for what i need, and this build is pretty comfortable. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qD3bbv

I am whatever I am. 

Assuming I can get everything for around this price, this is the computer i'll be building. That ram really surprised me. I could even opt for a 980TI if tax season is good to me. But that might be over powered for what i need, and this build is pretty comfortable. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qD3bbv

Why a 4790K? Hyper threading doesn't do much for gaming. There is no point having 4 cores 8 threads when majority of games, at most will only use 3 cores 3 threads (i'm simplifying this a lot) . The additional 5 threads will be irrelevant. There are some games that benefit from Hyper threading, but even so, the performance gains are just marginal.

And if you are trying to go as cheap as possible, you don't really need a H60 as a cpu cooler unless you're planning to do some massive overclocks, a simple hyper 212 evo is more than enough to keep your cpu cool at around 4.3Ghz.

Invest the money you save into a better Graphics Card.

Why a 4790K? Hyper threading doesn't do much for gaming. There is no point having 4 cores 8 threads when majority of games, at most will only use 3 cores 3 threads (i'm simplifying this a lot) . The additional 5 threads will be irrelevant. There are some games that benefit from Hyper threading, but even so, the performance gains are just marginal.

And if you are trying to go as cheap as possible, you don't really need a H60 as a cpu cooler unless you're planning to do some massive overclocks, a simple hyper 212 evo is more than enough to keep your cpu cool at around 4.3Ghz.

Invest the money you save into a better Graphics Card.

4790k because: Will last longer before needing upgrade. Because: Star Citizen. 

I can spare a few bucks for the h60, i'm not a huge fan of air-cooler looks. . Unless i can scrape a  few bucks off and get a 980ti , i could keep what i have and get by. 

I am whatever I am. 

4790k because: Will last longer before needing upgrade. Because: Star Citizen. 

I can spare a few bucks for the h60, i'm not a huge fan of air-cooler looks. . Unless i can scrape a  few bucks off and get a 980ti , i could keep what i have and get by. 

Considering the 4690k and 4790k are same gen CPUs, and they have the same amount of cores, which is the more important factor than hyper threading. It wouldn't exactly "last longer". Though the 4790k does have a higher clock/turbo clock speed. But if you plan to overclock, you could hit around the same clock speeds with the 4690k. Again there won't be significant difference in gaming if you try to push cpu clock speeds.

Question you should ask is whether the additional 0.1 - 0.4Ghz you get from the 4790k, which might drive additional 1 - 5 fps is worth the $100. 

You could roughly save about $130, by getting a 4690k and a Hyper 212 evo. About $20 more and you could get a 980Ti. 

A 980Ti could easily push about 7-10 more fps than a 980.

Its just my two cent's worth.

Considering the 4690k and 4790k are same gen CPUs, and they have the same amount of cores, which is the more important factor than hyper threading. It wouldn't exactly "last longer". Though the 4790k does have a higher clock/turbo clock speed. But if you plan to overclock, you could hit around the same clock speeds with the 4690k. Again there won't be significant difference in gaming if you try to push cpu clock speeds.

Question you should ask is whether the additional 0.1 - 0.4Ghz you get from the 4790k, which might drive additional 1 - 5 fps is worth the $100. 

You could roughly save about $130, by getting a 4690k and a Hyper 212 evo. About $20 more and you could get a 980Ti. 

A 980Ti could easily push about 7-10 more fps than a 980.

Its just my two cent's worth.

You've never actually used a CPU with hyperthreading before have you?

PMSL

You've never actually used a CPU with hyperthreading before have you?

Do enlighten me on how it will help.

Do enlighten me on how it will help.

20% performance boost per core. And more and more games and programs are making use of more than 4 threads.

PMSL

20% performance boost per core. And more and more games and programs are making use of more than 4 threads.

I see, but the main question should be whether an i7 with 980/390x is more worth it than an i5 with 980Ti. Albeit the i5 w/ 980Ti would cost slightly more, its about which setup gives better price/performance. 

Just a quick update, I'll be switching to a hyper 212 Evo. I remembered a review I saw a while ago and looked into it more. The h60 actually performs worse then the hyper 212. The next competitor, kuhler h20 performs better then an h60 but is loud and is only 1-2 degrees off the 212. If I put a noctua fan or even an sp120 silent it'll be my best option now. Thanks for throwing that in there.

I am whatever I am.