Possible PSU Failure?

Yiz
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

Okay thanks, and what are the chances of their actually being something wrong with my motherboard instead? I rreeallly don't want to replace my motherboard :P

idk, little but possible

i have seen this issue caused by a bad motherboard in the past so its always a possibility

So, twice now I've been blackscreened, or more so force restarted... So I get the blackscreen, computer lights stay on, and it just restarts. This has happened twice now within the past week, both while playing Elite:Dangerous, the second time I had a Minecraft server open in the background. No BSOD at all. Windows event log shows 0x8000000000000002. The name of it is just Kernal Power. Considering I don't get BSOD and considering that the critical event is labeled as Kernal Power, I can only assume my PSU is going bad. I doubt it's a bug with Elite Dangerous as once again, it's a hard reset. I haven't tested other games I might try Witcher and see what happens. This build isn't even a year old yet... Could it be a bug with the game, or something weird with having the Minecraft server open? Or is it my PSU? Running Windows 8 btw. 

Also the description of what happened in the event log is just "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

RiP

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

So, twice now I've been blackscreened, or more so force restarted... So I get the blackscreen, computer lights stay on, and it just restarts. This has happened twice now within the past week, both while playing Elite:Dangerous, the second time I had a Minecraft server open in the background. No BSOD at all. Windows event log shows 0x8000000000000002. The name of it is just Kernal Power. Considering I don't get BSOD and considering that the critical event is labeled as Kernal Power, I can only assume my PSU is going bad. I doubt it's a bug with Elite Dangerous as once again, it's a hard reset. I haven't tested other games I might try Witcher and see what happens. This build isn't even a year old yet... Could it be a bug with the game, or something weird with having the Minecraft server open? Or is it my PSU? Running Windows 8 btw.

What's your build?

thats not a software issue

it cant be the server or the game

something is wrong with either your PSU or your motherboard power delivery

PSU is the most common issue

try to get your hands on a second one and troubleshoot with that to see if it happens still

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What's your build?

Build is in my signature thingy.

Lol, very reassuring.

Everything fails sooner or later - if it's present in all games I'd assume it's the PSU

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

try to get your hands on a second one and troubleshoot with that to see if it happens still

I might be able to contact Corsair, my PSU has always had the most annoying coilwhine as well since i bought it which is probably unrelated, but I think corsair may be generous enough. If I get one more hard reboot, I'll contact them.

Everything fails sooner or later - if it's present in all games I'd assume it's the PSU

I think I will try some Witcher 3 then.

Actually, I may have had the Minecraft server open the other time my computer hard rebooted, is there anyway it could be an issue with running a game and a server at the same time? I would think though that it should never hard reboot anyway... 

Actually, I may have had the Minecraft server open the other time my computer hard rebooted, is there anyway it could be an issue with running a game and a server at the same time? I would think though that it should never hard reboot anyway... 

no it should never do that

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

no it should never do that

Okay thanks, and what are the chances of their actually being something wrong with my motherboard instead? I rreeallly don't want to replace my motherboard :P

idk, little but possible

i have seen this issue caused by a bad motherboard in the past so its always a possibility

Spoiler

idk, little but possible

Hmmmm Okay, thanks for your help, I will be looking into getting my PSU replaced then. In the meantime, is it safe to run my PC and play some games in since the occurrence seems to be scarce?

Hmmmm Okay, thanks for your help, I will be looking into getting my PSU replaced then. In the meantime, is it safe to run my PC and play some games in since the occurrence seems to be scarce?

yeah it should be alright

Spoiler

Look at his sig..

Build is in my signature thingy.

Wasn't able to see it via mobile

My PC is experiencing almost the same thing. To pinpoint the problem, stress test the CPU and GPU and check for any instability or shutdown when the loads are topping, if it happens its most likely the PSU. If the shutdowns/restarts are random is most likely the MoBo.

Turn your PC on without GPU and only one RAM stick and use for a while and see if it restarts.

Intel i7-4770; ASUS Z97M-PLUS/BR ;Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz; EVGA Geforce 970 SC; Corsair TX550M; Raijintek Aeneas