Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone not opening on Windows 8.1

Go to solution Solved by ColonelPanic,

Sorry for the late reply, ah well, thanks for trying, what Virtual Machine would you recommend?

There's a good tutorial on setting up an XP Virtual Machine here 

https://zeltser.com/windows-xp-mode-for-vmware-virtualization/

I recently acquired Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone game to play for old times' sake. When installing, everything looked fine. Then, when I attempt to boot up the game, in compatibility mode or not (Windows XP), the game refuses to load up. I was wondering if there was a workaround for Windows 8.1 and onwards. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times.

Thanks

Upcoming build: 4790k OC @ 4.6Ghz, Dual MSI 980 Twin Frozr V, 16 GB Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz RAM, 760T Corsair Case w/ Razer Blackwidow Chroma 

What os whas it originally on?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Windows XP I believe

Upcoming build: 4790k OC @ 4.6Ghz, Dual MSI 980 Twin Frozr V, 16 GB Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz RAM, 760T Corsair Case w/ Razer Blackwidow Chroma 

I actually have this game on a CD somewhere... Now all I gotta do is find it.

Eeh, by gum.

ThrustJetViperPowerMustang: FX-6100 @4.4GHz (Stock Cooler) / 4x4GB Hyperam @ 1333MHz / OCZ Octane 250GB SSD / Asus HD6670 2GDDR3 / Asus M5A78LM-USB3

I've found The Chamber of Secrets, from 2002. Not sure if I've got the 4MB of video memory to run it though

Eeh, by gum.

ThrustJetViperPowerMustang: FX-6100 @4.4GHz (Stock Cooler) / 4x4GB Hyperam @ 1333MHz / OCZ Octane 250GB SSD / Asus HD6670 2GDDR3 / Asus M5A78LM-USB3

Nope, not happening with any combination of compatibility settings, sorry OP, can you try running XP or Win98 inside a virtual machine? That might work.

Eeh, by gum.

Sorry for the late reply, ah well, thanks for trying, what Virtual Machine would you recommend?

Eeh, by gum.

Brilliant, thank you very much. Will try it out now.

Worked very well, now able to play. Thank you very much!

Worked very well, now able to play. Thank you very much!

Glad I could help :)

Eeh, by gum.