Newbie review of Oppo Pm-3

smdMario

Hey guys, so i went on and got me the Oppo-pm3 (Black mopdel). Since i haven´t seen many reviews of them on the interwebs and none in this forum, i wish to share you my personal experience with them after a month of daily use. Be advice that i am a newbie at the audiophile world so i might not use the same terms you are familiar with (i.e. warm rich sound....), and secondly, my english might suck a bit.

I like using the K.I.S.S. teaching method (Keep It Simple and Short) so you don't "tl,dr" me!

Design: elegant, subtle and with brush aluminum on the back of the cans. If you like to draw attention these are not for you. Earcuffs and head band are confortable with some low-tech memory foam but classy looking.

Comfort: you´ll barely feel them, lightweight and the foam is very efficient

Sound Isolation: i used them in my classroom while i was checking homework from 50 teenage girls students talking at each other after a concert of their favorite pop group...i thank the mighty lord for i couldn´t hear anything!

SOund: using a schiiit magni/modi combo i found the following:

PM3 vs HD600: pretty close sounds but PM3 have a tad more bass and very well in control for that matter, Mids sound better with PM3.

PM3 vs HD 8 DJ: not as powerful bass or bright as the DJ 8, if the HD600 and DJ 8 had a baby this woould be their son.

PM3 vs HE 400: soundstage is the only thing lacking from PM3, other than that HE400 have been put to shame.

PM3 vs Bose AE2(my dad´s): the bose was put on the suicide watch, not even close, night and day difference.

So i really recommend you these bad boys if you are looking for a close to neutral sound with a bit more bass, classy elegant design, very comfortable and very easy to drive.

I wish I could try a pair of these, or their higher up models. Nice simple review.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

How are the HE-400 put to shame aside from the versatility? Are sure you just don't prefer smoother sounding headphones?

How are the HE-400 put to shame aside from the versatility? Are sure you just don't prefer smoother sounding headphones?

Probably recessed mids, peaky treble, and high midrange distortion.

The bass is not as punchy, the mids and highs are not crisp, in a word...muffled. Even though open cans let you separate the diferent sounds and help you distinguish all the elements in the song, i was having a hard time to listen mid bass and lower mids in songs.

The HD600 is the other openback i got for comparison, but since the sound stage on the HD600 is not as big as the HE400 i don´t know if that affects the pairing, next week i´ll be compairing HE400 with a Fidelio X2, which is supposedly as good as the hd600 but more "airy" stage. And after it with the PM3.

So far all this weekend the Pm3 has proven to be excellent, specially for listening to music outdoors, they are worth every penny

Have you tried Mr.Speakers Alpha Dogs by any chance?

Not yet unfortunetly,i read on forums that they improved the sound with their angled design, as a matter of fact on december a friend is going over to the US and pick me up a pair. The only thing that concerns me is the removal of the HE400 earpads that are not very sturdy.

You plan to use the He 400 earpads for the alpha dogs?

Sorry i thought you meant trying Alpha dog´s earpads on HE400 not the actual cans hahaha, so the answer is no i haven´t tried those bad boys and since the last pair of cans i´m buying for a while are the fidelio x2 (which were available to me at amazon.mx at a cheaper price than amazonUS), probably won´t for quite a while.

Oh haha alright. I've heard the Audeze vegan pads work great with the HE 400 as well and they would be something to look into. I've been looking for a good closed back headphones in that price range for portable use. The Oppo's are now definitely on my list  :).

Oh haha alright. I've heard the Audeze vegan pads work great with the HE 400 as well and they would be something to look into. I've been looking for a good closed back headphones in that price range for portable use. The Oppo's are now definitely on my list  :).

Hey!, now that´s a good piece of advice, i´ll look up the audeze Earpds thanks!

I feel like doing a review on my Alpha Prime based on the K.I.S.S. method now. Anyways, I liked the review, especially this part:

PM3 vs HD 8 DJ: not as powerful bass or bright as the DJ 8, if the HD600 and DJ 8 had a baby this woould be their son.

I had to stop for a moment as I couldn't contain my laughter. If you have another chance, or even an excuse, to post another review, please do so.

I feel like doing a review on my Alpha Prime based on the K.I.S.S. method now. Anyways, I liked the review, especially this part:

I had to stop for a moment as I couldn't contain my laughter. If you have another chance, or even an excuse, to post another review, please do so.

Hahahaha, THANK YOU! Well there is no way for me to explain the nuts and bolts having Innerfidelity doing that with profesional measurament equipment. Also the objective of any forum is to share the personal experiences that are "free" of influences of companies and thus having an honest opinion.