Academic necessity for high-bandwidth connection

-ism

You can get gigabit speeds here in Canada. Just it's quite expensive. 96 Canadian dollars for 300/100 from Bell in my area. Gigabit is overpriced as shit though. It's like 150 dollars or something.

I wish I could pay that little

on topic, what do you do academically to need faster?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

so judging from what ive seen- its basically like paying for your own internet- no different than comcast or att- because it isnt provided by your college.attachicon.gifPicture1.jpg

Yeah those options are a little bit different for residents. We don't have those other options - for us it's $140/semester to double our "free" speed of 10 mbps down and up. 

http://i.imgur.com/2qogBv7.png

Wow, just realized it was $240. 

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

Yeah those options are a little bit different for residents. We don't have those other options - for us it's $140/semester to double our "free" speed of 10 mbps down and up. 

http://i.imgur.com/2qogBv7.png

Wow, just realized it was $240. 

yikes!! yeah its definitely unfair though...

I'd just say you need high bandwidth for school projects and your job. 

Also, I have this same problem in my school (except im not in uni...yet), they placed shitty wifi extenders in the worst places...aaannndd installed MORE copper wire in the server room going out to the ISP to 'Improve speeds' even though there was a single fiber line going into the school, at a very high bandwidth, which was slowed by the Fiber to Cat 5 adapter box they were using, which then connected back to a Fiber connector and into the very expensive switch. Completely useless. Fiber to Copper back to fiber. wtf. 

Oh and before they spent TONS of money on the new copper, I was told they were thinking about it, and I put up a fight to show them the fiber optic line and prove it to them that we did in fact have fiber, they simply replied 'No, we are not running a fiber optic connection into the school as fiber is an old protocol and more copper is faster than less fiber.' I shit you not. After they figured out they fucked up (after the install of the extra copper), they didnt even say a thing to me, acknowledging I was correct. UGH!

But anyway, just tell them you need it for work

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help.