POST issues with ASUS Z170-A / i5 6600k / Corsair 16GB LPX

Go to solution Solved by Bindlestiff,

The board was confirmed faulty - new one arriving tomorrow :)

Hi guys,

First time poster here, at an absolute loss as to what my problem could be. Reaching out in the hope that someone has come across a similar situation as mine.

I recently upgraded both my gaming PC and my media PC with the following core components:

Gaming PC

----------------

ASUS Z170-A

i7 6700k

G.Skill Ripjaws Series V 16GB (4x4GB)

Noctua NH-D15

Media PC

-------------

ASUS Z170-A

i5 6600k

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB)

Noctua NH-D15 (Originally Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo)

As you can see, I've tried to keep everything fairly similar.

My gaming rig has gone together without issue and is running fine. However, my media PC refuses to POST with all the RAM in the available slots [A1][A2][b1][b2], and is showing a solid CPU LED. I've tried the following 3 recommended configurations:

1. 1 DIMM in [A2], total 4GB - this fails

2. 1 DIMM each in [A2][b2], total 8GB - this fails

3. 1 DIMM each in [A1][A2][b1][b2], total 16GB - this fails

I have tried every combination of DIMM in [A] slots and slots, and the computer will only POST when sticks are in and not [A]. This is key - every single stick of RAM works in  slots as expected. Neither of the [A] slots, which are the closest to the CPU, work it seems.

To try and make progress with this, and with the CPU LED staying on, I've had the 6600k replaced under warranty. I'm not convinced this is the issue since the replacement CPU behaves exactly the same, and indeed before I sent the 'faulty' i5 back I tested it in the system with RAM just in slots and it was fine. For the sake of sanity I've also tried switching the 6600k and 6700k over, and the gaming PC (now with the i5) refused to POST (same solid CPU LED). Conversely, the i7 quite happily sat in the media PC setup with the full compliment of 16GB RAM and booted normally.

So I guess my questions are these:

1. Has anyone else come across something similar?

2. Is there a known compatibility issue with the i5 6600k / Z170-A and (any brand of) RAM?

3. Is there something I can test / do which might help the diagnosis further?

4. Am I better off just ditching the 6600k and shelling out an extra £50 or so to get an i7 6700?

I can see similar, but not exact, stories reported on some sites so I know it isn't an isolated case - but it sure as hell is a frustrating one. Any help or guidance you guys can provide would be very much appreciated right now.

Thanks.

It may be a bad board. Test the cpu/ram in your gaming system see if the same happens.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Yeah, that is what I thought but as per the original post I've already swapped over CPU / RAM in the various combinations and the i5 exhibits the same behaviour in both boards. I have right now 2 i5 6600ks and 1 i7 6700k, so I'll recheck them all and post back with findings.

Thanks for the reply!

Well, I think it has to be the board. I've taken the media PC apart and put it all back together again. It doesn't POST with any CPU (i5 or i7) when there is RAM of any type in [A1], [A2], or [A1][A2].

RMA time :(

It does sound like a doa board as it will post with ram in B slots. 

before you  try an RMA:

Have you tried the RAM OK switch?

When you put the RAM in that slot can you access BIOS? 

Also have you tried to run a BIOS update from a usb stick? it may be a bios issue?

are there any post error codes that you can share?

I've pressed the RAM OK switch at various stages, all of which immediately reboot the PC and then (looks like) it performs 3 different actions judging by the 3 different speeds of flashing LED.

With RAM in the [A] slots, the PC has power - all fans are up and running, lights are on the motherboard, LEDs on the case, but no video signal is sent and CPU LED remains solid red. I can access the BIOS when RAM is not in the [A] slots, and indeed have updated the BIOS (first to 0901, then 1003 which was pulled, and now 1101) in the hope that it would resolve this problem.

There are unfortunately no POST error codes as there is no onboard display.

ASUS aren't being very helpful, firstly suggesting I change CPU (already did that of course) and now saying there may be some deeper compatibility issues with this particular combination of CPU, board and RAM which they need to investigate further. I can't be the only person in the world with this combination; there were two CPUs, not many motherboards and a limited choice for RAM.

Since the original series of tests I've ordered an i7 6700 (non K) which arrived today, but as that doesn't work either it pretty much confirms that the CPU is not the problem, and we've already ruled out RAM. I've now arranged the RMA for the board as I think at the very least I'd like to start from a clean slate. If there is a specific compatibility issue with my specific combinations then I'll have to see what ASUS suggest.

As an aside, I now have an i5 6600K that is fully working - I'm convinced the other one had no problem either - that I'll need to sell on to part fund the purchase of the 6700. This build has been the most stressful and taken the longest time I've ever been involved in, and is still not complete.

It sound like there is a problem with the RAM slots on the motherboard. If the board is still covered by the warranty, try replacing it with another and see if the problem persists.

Hope this helps.

So swapping in the ram from the media pc works in the gaming rig?

If so the the board is DOA. I am surprised Asus are being difficult about it.

Do yo have a speaker that you can hook up to the board just in case you can get post "beep"  error codes?

So swapping in the ram from the media pc works in the gaming rig?

If so the the board is DOA. I am surprised Asus are being difficult about it.

Do yo have a speaker that you can hook up to the board just in case you can get post "beep"  error codes?

Yep, RAM works no problem in the gaming rig, and conversely  I have the same issues with RAM slots when I switch over my gaming RAM to the media PC.

I can understand with it being a new platform that there will be teething problems, and I'm happy to work with ASUS on that front, but this just sounds to me like a clear case the slots are defective.

I've got a speaker - it has been so long since I've actually used one that I completely forgot it was a viable option. I'll give it a go and post feedback.

It sound like there is a problem with the RAM slots on the motherboard. If the board is still covered by the warranty, try replacing it with another and see if the problem persists.

Yeah that is the avenue I'm trying to go down but not getting there very quickly with ASUS. I'm in contact with the vendor who is being a lot more accommodating - if cautious regarding CPU socket pins - and I hope that will result in me getting the board replaced.

Yep, RAM works no problem in the gaming rig, and conversely  I have the same issues with RAM slots when I switch over my gaming RAM to the media PC.

I can understand with it being a new platform that there will be teething problems, and I'm happy to work with ASUS on that front, but this just sounds to me like a clear case the slots are defective.

I've got a speaker - it has been so long since I've actually used one that I completely forgot it was a viable option. I'll give it a go and post feedback.

To me that is definitely a faulty board/RAM sockets.

Geez Asus, RMA the board and get this sorted. It would seriously help with product development because they can use their tools to analyse the board and solve the problem for other users

Customer satisfaction is better than saving face on a product. How many people will read this and go, hmmm maybe I will go with x because of this issue.

To me that is definitely a faulty board/RAM sockets.

Geez Asus, RMA the board and get this sorted. It would seriously help with product development because they can use their tools to analyse the board and solve the problem for other users

Customer satisfaction is better than saving face on a product. How many people will read this and go, hmmm maybe I will go with x because of this issue.

I'm now being told that it is two possibilities:

• The specific RAM part number, despite being DDR4 and Corsair brand, is not on their QVL, and therefore not supported
  • The RAM could have an compatibility issue with the CPU

This is despite me saying that the G.Skill RAM also doesn't work, and that the RAM works fine in exactly the same model board. So frustrating! 

What about the vendor will they come to the party and swap over the board?

In my opinion there is something wrong with the board as it will not accept any ram and your other set-up runs perfectly with either.

I think this is just a matter of forcing someone's hand to replace the board now. I mean you can try swapping stuff around and the associated nonsense but realistically it wont solve anything. 

Just for s**t's 'n' giggles, there is nothing blocking the RAM sockets like debris inside the rail? 

I'm sorry @Bindlestiff but I think this may be out of the hands of being able to diagnose this further online. Do you have a PC shop nearby that may be able to help further by shoving a couple of QVL listed RAM modules in?

The board has gone back to the vendor to test and if proven to be faulty they'll replace. I am a little bit annoyed at the support from ASUS, but I'm very thankful of the assistance I've had from you guys.

I'll be sure to post with the outcome, so we can close off the conundrum.

Shame Asus, shame. I get the whole QVL thing but really when you can isolate a fault like this and rule out every other component and it's till an issue for the RMA it's not right. 

At least the vendor has come to the party.  Hopefully this gets sorted quickly now.

You are most welcome for the help. 

• 1 month later...

I am having pretty much exactly the same problem now, but with a ROG Maximus VIII Hero board. I was really disappointed as the ASUS customer service after they pretty much told me to go away and talk to the vendor for technical support. just wow

• 5 months later...

shit. Why didn't I find this thread before I bought that MB. I have the same problem. RAM only works in the B slots. Did you get an identically motherboard back?