1 BSOD per boot (then fine)

vanished

Hi, this is my first post here, and hopefully my last question - I want to get answering things and give back more than I take :)

My problem is very consistent.  The series of events is always exactly as follows:

1. Computer is fully off
  2. Hit power (turns on)
  3. boots windows
  4. BSOD
  5. computer automatically restarts
  6. boots windows normally, everything works perfectly and will continue to do so until the machine is shut off, then the cycle repeats next time.  "Reboot"s do not appear to trigger the issue.

In regards to items 3 and 4, I feel like it is happening exactly between when the loading would end and the "welcome" screen would appear, just based on timing.

This issue started happening exactly after adding some more memory.  I have never had this issue previously, so I highly doubt that it is a coincidence.  I also know however that the memory is good - I have tested it with synthetic tools, and also tried just general use, and I have run long processing jobs (24h+) and used a good 28 GB of it and not had any issues while running whatsoever.  It just hates to boot!

The requested system info:

• I had windows 7 originally, but upgraded and then did a fresh install to solve random minor issues I was having (and they are indeed gone)
  • I installed a retail version on this custom machine (it is not OEM)
  • Age of OS: How old is Windows 10?  About a week younger than that.
  • CPU: i7 4770K (stock speed)
  • Video Card: GTX 660 (eVGA SC, 2 GB)
  • Motherboard: ASUS Z87-Deluxe
  • Power Supply: Fractal Design Integra R2 500 W
  • Desktop (if that wasn't clear)

Wow, they asked nothing about memory... well since I believe that will be highly relevant in this case, here is the info:

• 2x CMV8GX3M1A1600C11 (2x 8GB Corsair ValueSelect 1600 CL11)
  • 2x CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 (2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 CL10)
  • All running at 1600 11-11-11-30

Why are they different?  Well, I grabbed the top pack to start with since it was cheaper than most of the "fancy" RAM at the time and like Linus always says there is little to no performance benefit for most things.  Later when I needed more, I couldn't find the same stuff, and NCIX had a good sale on the vengeance, and it was pretty similar so that's that.

Like I said, all the memory is good as far as I can tell, but by the same token, I do believe this problem to be a direct result of the memory.

BSOD dump files link

I'd rather not post that perfmon report if I can help it since it seems pretty comprehensive and has personal info like IP's, usernames, etc. but I could be persuaded, and don't have an issue posting certain details from it if you think it would be useful.

Thanks a ton in advance to anyone with any ideas!  This was cute at first but it's starting to get really annoying now! >:(

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Different RAM --> Issue.

Look in Event Viewer, see what it says!

Different RAM --> Issue.

Look in Event Viewer, see what it says!

I've looked through and I think the following entry is the most interesting.  Other than that is looks quite clean, and there is nothing in "Hardware Events"

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff801b23588e7, 0xffffd00048f9b128, 0xffffd00048f9a940). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 093015-9812-01.

I'll keep trying to follow this trail but if this is sounding familiar to anyone, I might be able to jump straight to a solution with your insight!

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

OK, so I've got new news.  I thought I would just have one more look in the BIOS and noticed XMP was off, so I turned that on.  The motherboard decided to try running it 10-10-10-27.  I didn't expect this to work but I thought "why not - may as well try" and it did work, and as a happy side effect, this problem seems to have gone away!  Preliminary tests suggest everything is stable and functioning properly, but I'll come back here if it isn't.

Bad news.  So this issue is back (must have just been a fluke that it didn't happen once).  I'm really at a loss for what to do...

• 1 year later...

I know this is the first post I ever made but I feel a need to give this closure in case anyone else is looking for the solution. Turns out the issue was my power supply.  Booting from cold would cause this BSOD, but if I booted into the BIOS and let it sit for a bit, presumably warming it up before continuing on to boot Windows, it worked fine.  Evidently, booting and blue screening and then booting again gave it enough time to warm up and become stable.

What tipped me off was this comment from the off-topic thread.  Turns out that was my problem after all :D 

After buying a new one, this problem no longer exists.  Check the link in my signature and don't cheap out on the component that gives your system power! xD 

Edit: Update, actually, this didn't solve it.  What I describe above as a work around is still true but also still necessary :( 

Edited by Ryan_Vickers