Nvidia Confirms Volta To Succeed Pascal, Launching In 2018 – To Power Supercomputers in 2017

TwistedDictator

Nvidia has confirmed that its “Volta” GPU architecture will be the successor to Pascal and is set for a 2018 introduction in the consumer market. While the first Volta powered supercomputers are expected to be operational by 2017. Volta represents Nvidia’s sixth generation of General Purpose GPU architectures since the introduction of the company’s first unified shader graphics architecture code named Tesla. Which debuted with the company’s highly successful GeForce 8 – 8000 series – back in 2006.

NVIDIA-Pascal-GPU_Roadmap.jpg

In 2017, we will be looking forward to two new supercomputers, the Summit from Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Sierra from Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Now both of these supercomputers have one thing in common, both of them will feature several next generation IBM POWER9 CPUs and also several NVIDIA Volta GPUs.

Summit is rated at a peak performance of 150-300 PFLOPS and this will be delivered through  more than 3400 compute nodes. Each node powered by several next generation IBM POWER9 CPUs and NVIDIA Volta based Tesla accelerators. Each node will deliver around 40 teraflops of compute and is touted as a more performent solution than an entire rack of flagship Haswell based server chips.

There’s one technology that will be pivotal to delivering the promise of Volta GPGPUs in servers and supercomputers, and that’s NVLINK. This technology is aimed at GPU accelerated servers and supercomputers where the inter-chip communication is extremely bandwidth limited and a major system bottleneck. Nvidia states that NV-Link will be up to 5 to 12 times faster than traditional PCIE 3.0 making it a major step forward in platform atomics. Earlier this year Nvidia announced that IBM will be integrating this new interconnect into its upcoming PowerPC server CPUs.

Source

I cant wait for Pascal! Lets not start the hype train yet... Got to wait for some benchies!

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Is that even a reliable source?

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

All we have on pascal is a name and something about hbm2... but we couldn't live without the next name in line I suppose :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

WCCf =! reliable source

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

WCCf =! reliable source

I often see shit only posted on their website and no other sources.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

wccf = click bait bullshit

also. isin't it funny i looks like the powerpoint from nvidia. that just didn't have dates for volta ?
feels like they just slapped it on there...

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

wccf = click bait bullshit

That leads to your profile pic.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I found those same words posted almost a year ago, the making of supercomputers by IBM and Nvidia is not new news, but there are no real specifics of what is in these new supercomputers only wccf know apparently, I doubt the veracity of it like times before.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

That leads to your profile pic.....

its the best profile picture to the type of threads I take a part in :)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Typicall WFFC is never reliable, but news has been announced on NVIDIA news. WFFC was just first to grab it.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

this is so far away that its not even worth mentioning right now....

AMD Rig - (Upgraded): FX 8320 @ 4.8 Ghz, Corsair H100i GTX, ROG Crosshair V Formula, Ghz, 16 GB 1866 Mhz Ram, Msi R9 280x Gaming 3G @ 1150 Mhz, Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, Win 10 Home

(My first Intel + Nvidia experience  - recently bought ) : MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G ( i7 6820HK, 16 GB RAM, 980M SLI, GSync, 1080p , 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD... FeelsGoodMan

This should be common knowledge by now. Their new "architectures" will have a two-year life cycle. Maxwell had 2014 and will go through 2015. 2016 Pascal will launch and will live through 2017. In 2018, Volta will launch, as per usual with their schedule unless something significant happens and they're unable to deliver, which I doubt.

Volta has been confirmed since the beginning of Kepler, not any news here.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I thought those slides come from a Japanese event held earlier this week.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero