Anyone got simple explanations for these?

shirokado

Trying to teach my sister java(she's taking it for school or something), but I'm a terrible teacher and get irritated easily if she doesn't understand. So any ELI5 explanations for a string? She's been doing the assignments with the goal to complete it, not understand it, she's learning math.random in class, but doesn't even have a grasp on how string or easyreader(the cancerous way to add inputs) works. She know's how to do it if asked to, but doesn't understand what exactly a string it.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Understanding it more important then being able to repeat a task

Which is exactly my point, but my head works so weirdly and goes all over the place, never been good at explaining concepts. 

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I guess you could start off explaining how objects work in Java, and that a string is an object and go from there?

I would recommend she start from the beginning using a book or tutorial to work at alongside her classes. This will present information to her in a different way so she doesn't have to rely on the class to learn everything. This is helpful if things are poorly explained in class or move at a pace too fast for her. It will also stop you from having to teach her as much.

Then it's up to her to care enough to bother to do the extra work. She might understand the first tutorial/book she tries, or she may have to go through multiple resources before she starts to get it. Everyone learns differently and programming isn't easy to learn for everyone.

If she likes learning from books then "Head First Java" or "Java, A Beginners Guide" might be good for her to try.

If she likes video tutorials then check out Java For Complete Beginners (alternative source). Also Lynda (code wanshow to support Linus), Pluralsight, and Treehouse are other options. They all require monthly subscriptions but have free trials which might be enough to cover the basics.

And if she ever needs additional information then Google is very helpful. It'll direct you to sites like Stack Overflow, the official docs, Tutorials Point, other forums, etc where her question is likely answered (most beginner programming questions have been asked many times).

Getting extra help at school might be another option.

Trying to teach my sister java(she's taking it for school or something), but I'm a terrible teacher and get irritated easily if she doesn't understand. So any ELI5 explanations for a string? She's been doing the assignments with the goal to complete it, not understand it, she's learning math.random in class, but doesn't even have a grasp on how string or easyreader(the cancerous way to add inputs) works. She know's how to do it if asked to, but doesn't understand what exactly a string it.

A String is an Array of characters.