PC Not Booting at room temp, working fine at lower temp

Hi,

I have come across a strange problem that my system doesn't start at room temp. By not start, I mean even the bios also doesn't load up and the system halts and I can see a red light besides my mobo ATX power connector and also the ram lights are lit up and everything else are off including my cpu pump and no display. I live in India and room temp is around 30-35 degree celcius.

However, the system boots normally when I move the system to air conditioner where the temp is around 25 degrees.

My system specs are:

MSI X99A Gaming 7

Intel I7 5820K

32 GB DDR4 Dominator

Cooler Master V1200 Platinum

Asus Strix Gtx 980x2 SLI

Corsair H100i

I am doubting with my mobo is faulty and heat sensors on it are causing the problem.

Please suggest if anyone thinks differently or came across a similar issue.

Or it could be the power outlet

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

I'm on this side of things.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

do you mean to say where I connect the psu power plug?

do you mean to say where I connect the psu power plug?

Yes

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

Could be a dodgy mount on the 5820K

If is it dodgy mount, how does it work notmally in air condition?

Yes

I have tried the same at my friends place as well and at other outlets in my house. They all gave the same result.

Also, as soon as ai started the air condition, the system was not turning on but after 5 mins when it got cool, it started normally.Nothing changed except the room temp.

Also, is there any chance of bad cpu?

Unlikely; you might have some flakey autooverclocking going down or something though or a weaksauce memory controller. But I would go with dodgy mount/dodgy PSU/dodgy supply.

Unlikely; you might have some flakey autooverclocking going down or something though or a weaksauce memory controller. But I would go with dodgy mount/dodgy PSU/dodgy supply.

For the PSU, I have tried with another PSU(Antec 900w) and it gave the same result. Also, I tried reseating the heatsink with same result.

For the PSU, I have tried with another PSU(Antec 900w) and it gave the same result. Also, I tried reseating the heatsink with same result.

You are using thermal paste right?

Also some H100s have mounting issues I am told on certain motherboards (Though I havent personally experienced it - check to see if your paste is making good contant.

You may just have dodgy motherboard.

You are using thermal paste right?

Yes, and when the system is on I get very low temps of 40 degrees in bios and even lower in Windows.

Also, to be noted, the system is halting within a sec so the cpu is not getting time to get hot also.

But strangely, everything is running fine under air conditioner.

Yes, and when the system is on I get very low temps of 40 degrees in bios and even lower in Windows.

Also, to be noted, the system is halting within a sec so the cpu is not getting time to get hot also.

But strangely, everything is running fine under air conditioner.

If you bought it all from the same place RMA it and tell them the problem, let them diagnose it :). What are your ambient temps.

Could also be a faulty sensor somewhere. I would just RMA it and be done with the annoyance.

If you bought it all from the same place RMA it and tell them the problem, let them diagnose it :). What are your ambient temps.

Could also be a faulty sensor somewhere. I would just RMA it and be done with the annoyance.

We dont have good technical support here in India.

When I first faced the issue at my place without air condition, I simply deposited the system from where I purchased. There they were having air conditioner, so the system gave no issue and ran fine and we could not identify that it is because of lower temp. I brought the system back and again it didn't start. Then, took the system to my friend, where it didn't start initially but started later when he turned on the air conditioner( for me I was feeling hot) but we couldnt identify still as the starting of the pc coincided with his changing the surge protector. So, the surge protector got the hype which then didn't work at my place. Suddenly I got yureka and tool my system to air conditioner in my other room and boom it started at once.. In the same room it was not starting when I didn't turn on the air conditioner. Long story, took me a week to identify, no support from the seller.

What do you mean by ambient temp?

I am asking for refund for my msi mobo asthis is the one I got from my previous rm a after which I have been facing this issue. Will buy rampage v extreme.

I just hope that this is not cpu problem.

What do you mean by ambient temp?

I am asking for refund for my msi mobo asthis is the one I got from my previous rm a after which I have been facing this issue. Will buy rampage v extreme.

I just hope that this is not cpu problem.

As much as I love my rampage, it is massively overkill and overpriced for the average user, why you hope it isnt the CPU? (Though I really doubt it is)

As much as I love my rampage, it is massively overkill and overpriced for the average user, why you hope it isnt the CPU? (Though I really doubt it is)

Firstly, the problem started only aftery changing the mobo.

Secondly, I believe the ambient temp sensors are on mobo only because of which the problem is occuring.

Thirdly, I believe I aint the average user. I am an enthusiast and I wish to go into overclocking and pushing my system.

As per my knowledge, if its the cpu the system wont start at all. When I start under air conditioner, all the information under CPU Z are normal and everything is working normal.

Firstly, the problem started only aftery changing the mobo.

Secondly, I believe the ambient temp sensors are on mobo only because of which the problem is occuring.

Thirdly, I believe I aint the average user. I am an enthusiast and I wish to go into overclocking and pushing my system.

As per my knowledge, if its the cpu the system wont start at all. When I start under air conditioner, all the information under CPU Z are normal and everything is working normal.

Aye; but certainly for haswell overclocking performance is not really motherboard dependant. Any Quality Z97/X99 board will OC within a few Mhz (for the "normal" overclocker - I am not talking about playing with insane Vcore, or LN2/DICE/Vapor Phase based OCing).

I would agree with send the board back, I just meant that you wont see any practical difference between a rampage and X99-Deluxe for example (But if you have the money, get the rampage, it has a few things that are just awesome and looks really nice.)

Aye; but certainly for haswell overclocking performance is not really motherboard dependant. Any Quality Z97/X99 board will OC within a few Mhz (for the "normal" overclocker - I am not talking about playing with insane Vcore, or LN2/DICE/Vapor Phase based OCing).

I would agree with send the board back, I just meant that you wont see any practical difference between a rampage and X99-Deluxe for example (But if you have the money, get the rampage, it has a few things that are just awesome and looks really nice.)

I chose rampage v because it is the best and has a lot of features which makes overclocking easy and I believe I can push my system more.

Moreover, one more question... do you feel that my problem could be because of the cpu pins not touching properly?

Can it affect the temperature which is being sensed?

Thanks for responding so much.

I chose rampage v because it is the best and has a lot of features which makes overclocking easy and I believe I can push my system more.

Moreover, one more question... do you feel that my problem could be because of the cpu pins not touching properly?

Can it affect the temperature which is being sensed?

Thanks for responding so much.

"Best" is subjective to an individual persons use case. Its unlikely to be CPU pins though.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Rampage last week finally and whoa it solved all the problems. Indeed it was the mobo issue.

It even solved the original problem I was facing of games getting stuck on first start.

KEEP IT UP ASUS!!! WILL ALWAYS BUY ASUS FROM NOW :D

I got my Rampage last week finally and whoa it solved all the problems. Indeed it was the mobo issue.

It even solved the original problem I was facing of games getting stuck on first start.

KEEP IT UP ASUS!!! WILL ALWAYS BUY ASUS FROM NOW :D

They are awesome boards; but the pricing sucks!