Good purchase?

Go to solution Solved by arronleeds,

Hey everyone!

I'm going to do an upgrade in my system, the plan is to buy an i7-4790k, an msi z97s SLI krait edition mobo and a h100i GTX cooler.

Is this a good purchase or should i get a diffrent cpu or mobo?

Note: I'm not getting the Skylake processors since i would have to get new ram too then and I'm going for a white/black color sceme.

If possible, please use party i can get in belgium... So most likely no Amazon. Please check on this site: http://www.alternate.be it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone!

-Gijs

this is a very nice setup, keep it and dont change anything.

Hey everyone!

I'm going to do an upgrade in my system, the plan is to buy an i7-4790k, an msi z97s SLI krait edition mobo and a h100i GTX cooler.

Note: I'm not getting the Skylake processors since i would have to get new ram too then and I'm going for a white/black color sceme.

If possible, please use party i can get in belgium... So most likely no Amazon. Please check on this site: http://www.alternate.be it would be greatly appreciated.

-Gijs

Current Build: CPU: i7-3770 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 Mobo: P8Z77-V LX2 RAM: 16 Gigs of random DDR3 ram Storage: WD Caviar Black 2TB drive Case: Nexus Prominent 9 Cooler: Stock intel cooler, Stock Case fans PSU: OCZ technologies 750 w PSU Monitor: 2x Philips 243V5 OS: Windows 8.1 Pro Sound: Logitech G430 Keyboard: Logitech K290 Mouse: Logitech G502 Mic: Blue yeti

Hey everyone!

-Gijs

this is a very nice setup, keep it and dont change anything.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

Ok thanks you, i was just not sure about the motherboard ;-) thanks for the quick reply

Current Build: CPU: i7-3770 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 Mobo: P8Z77-V LX2 RAM: 16 Gigs of random DDR3 ram Storage: WD Caviar Black 2TB drive Case: Nexus Prominent 9 Cooler: Stock intel cooler, Stock Case fans PSU: OCZ technologies 750 w PSU Monitor: 2x Philips 243V5 OS: Windows 8.1 Pro Sound: Logitech G430 Keyboard: Logitech K290 Mouse: Logitech G502 Mic: Blue yeti

Yeah, it's really good but do you need an upgrade really?

CPU should still perform good.. only thing you will get out of it is .. a quieter system because the cooler and the ability to OC

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Ok thanks you, i was just not sure about the motherboard ;-) thanks for the quick reply

i like the colour scheme on that motherboard, together with some custom black and white sleeved cables it would be very sexy.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

Looks good, but despite what you said I think It'd be a good idea to go Skylake, it's always better for 'future-proofing' to get the latest chipset. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Looks good, but despite what you said I think It'd be a good idea to go Skylake, it's always better for 'future-proofing' to get the latest chipset. 

its what 5-10% better and costs how much more? i think skylake is pointless.

It's not "pointless."

There's just no need to rush and upgrade right now. Or if you're on a tight budget.

Yeah, it's really good but do you need an upgrade really?

CPU should still perform good.. only thing you will get out of it is .. a quieter system because the cooler and the ability to OC

Well, i do quite a bit of 3D rendering so i need all the performance i can get ;-)

Prices of new harware are insane in belgium, i would pay about 30 percent more on the cpu and motherboard if i were to get Skylake... Not mentioning ddr4 ram

I just think, you're not on that bad of a chipset at the moment, devil's canyon would kind of be pointless, I'd be looking at a bigger jump seeing as skylake is like, not that much more. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I just think, you're not on that bad of a chipset at the moment, devil's canyon would kind of be pointless, I'd be looking at a bigger jump seeing as skylake is like, not that much more.

I forgot to mention that ill be using my current cpu in a build for a friend... Sales him some money and gives me the optioneel for an upgrade ;-) thats the 'zin reason im upgrading

Well, i do quite a bit of 3D rendering so i need all the performance i can get ;-)

Alright, that's what I needed to know. If you were 'just' a gamer, this would have not been worth a whole lot.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/