Windows 10 and SLI/Crossfire questions

This question is just something out of curiosity, I remember in the months leading up to 10 coming out I heard stories that it was going to vastly improve things such as SLI, such as being able to pool all gpu vram into one (so if you had two 980's it would be 8gb, two 980ti's 12gb, two 970's 7gb). Was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and can vouch for it? Heard some people say that since windows 10 would utilize all gpus in their system as one whole one it would even make SLI setups run in games that don't natively support SLI. I have doubts about that one, but is that also true?

Another interesting thing that was kind of going around a bit is rumors that windows 10 is able to utilize multiple gpus so well that it's possible to have an nvidia and amd card in the same build (I doubt that, but was wondering if that is actually possible)

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

This is a feature of directX 12 and isn't used in any games yet. Expect to wait about 2 years before this becomes normal for games to support and expect to see lots of problems, but if it works correctly that is a feature.

I doubt that amd and nvidia card will ever work together. Windows 10 doesn't pool vram directx 12 does try some games that use directx 12 and u will see. So far i see strange things while using windows 10 like using 6gb of vram while playing lords of the fallen or 4.5gb vram on gta 5 with gtx 970.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4 GHz                                                 Case: Fractal Design Define R5                       SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250gb          Monitor:  Benq GL2760        
   GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (+140 Core|+400 Mem)               Motherboard: Msi Z97-G5                                 HDD: WD blue 1TB                             CPU Cooler:  Hyper 412s
      RAM: 16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz                                PSU: Cooler Master v850                                 Storage: Adata HV610 1TB                  OS: Windows 10           

This is a feature of directX 12 and isn't used in any games yet. Expect to wait about 2 years before this becomes normal for games to support and expect to see lots of problems, but if it works correctly that is a feature.

True, wasn't thinking about that. Although I've seen some people saying Dx12 has made improvements to fps count in non-dx12 games.

I doubt that amd and nvidia card will ever work together. Windows 10 doesn't pool vram directx 12 does try some games that use directx 12 and u will see. So far i see strange things while using windows 10 like using 6gb of vram while playing lords of the fallen or 4.5gb vram on gta 5 with gtx 970.

One reason why i was asking is cause i have an extra graphics card lying around (a 750 ti from my first build which was a budget build) probably a mediocre card in comparison to my 980, but I was kind of curious if it was possible to be able to use it in addition to my 980, if atleast to raise my vram to 6gb

One reason why i was asking is cause i have an extra graphics card lying around (a 750 ti from my first build which was a budget build) probably a mediocre card in comparison to my 980, but I was kind of curious if it was possible to be able to use it in addition to my 980, if atleast to raise my vram to 6gb

I think u could use it as dedicated PhysX card if u dont have anything better to do it and not planing to sell it.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4 GHz                                                 Case: Fractal Design Define R5                       SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250gb          Monitor:  Benq GL2760        
   GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (+140 Core|+400 Mem)               Motherboard: Msi Z97-G5                                 HDD: WD blue 1TB                             CPU Cooler:  Hyper 412s
      RAM: 16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz                                PSU: Cooler Master v850                                 Storage: Adata HV610 1TB                  OS: Windows 10           

I think u could use it as dedicated PhysX card if u dont have anything better to do it and not planing to sell it.

not like i have anything else to do with it. I have it in my old build that i bring over to friends for lan parties, but that only happens like once a month maybe, so was thinking about putting it to better use.

How would i go about dedicating it as a PhysX card?

Go to nvidia control panel and under PhysX settings select card that u want to use as dedicated physx card and put a v on dedicate to physx. Here is a link with images. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/how-to-install-and-configure-a-dedicated-physx-video-card/2/

Having a dedicated PhysX card is pointless these days.

Having a dedicated PhysX card is pointless these days.

If its not too weak u will notice a difference

Go to nvidia control panel and under PhysX settings select card that u want to use as dedicated physx card and put a v on dedicate to physx. Here is a link with images. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/how-to-install-and-configure-a-dedicated-physx-video-card/2/

Just finished putting the 750ti in. One thing i do like about the card is it's really small and low power usage. gonna try it out a bit and see if i notice any difference

Just finished putting the 750ti in. One thing i do like about the card is it's really small and low power usage. gonna try it out a bit and see if i notice any difference

Good luck.

Good luck.

I put it in, but in the nvidia control panel on that same page it doesn't show the 750 ti on the list. is there anything I'd have to change in the bios for the second gpu to show?

I put it in, but in the nvidia control panel on that same page it doesn't show the 750 ti on the list. is there anything I'd have to change in the bios for the second gpu to show?

Hmm.. Havent tried having card for physx only but it should be as simple as connecting it and choosing from drop down box. Mb try reconnecting it?

Hmm.. Havent tried having card for physx only but it should be as simple as connecting it and choosing from drop down box. Mb try reconnecting it?

Got it working. I had three pci-e slots and had to plug it into the bottom.

I was able to set the 750 ti to use for physix. I'll probably wait til tomorrow and try out some demanding games such as gta 5 or something and see if there's a difference