Building a 12 monitor setup

Hello,

So my friend wants me to help him build a 12 monitor set-up for the purpose of doing financial work (stock market). So I was thinking of picking up 3 gigabyte 970 graphic cards and plugging 4 monitors into each of the cards. So here is where my first question comes in, would this actually work? I know each graphic card supports up to 4 displays so I am assuming I could get 3, and plug 4 monitors into each card and they would work with each other. 

Then I was also thinking of ditching the nvidia path as I read some old reviews where the problems might be addressed that nvidia drivers dont work too well with a multi monitor setup, so was thinking of getting two HD 5870 eyefinity 6 graphic cards and connecting 6 displays into each and run the setup this way.

Maybe some of you have personal experience and could help me out by recommending the best setup for no lag input and everything working flawlessly. 

you could get a workstation GPU for him if hes not going to game

i think those are better for multi-monitor setups (not sure tho)

Hello,

So my friend wants me to help him build a 12 monitor set-up for the purpose of doing financial work (stock market). So I was thinking of picking up 3 gigabyte 970 graphic cards and plugging 4 monitors into each of the cards. So here is where my first question comes in, would this actually work? I know each graphic card supports up to 4 displays so I am assuming I could get 3, and plug 4 monitors into each card and they would work with each other. 

Then I was also thinking of ditching the nvidia path as I read some old reviews where the problems might be addressed that nvidia drivers dont work too well with a multi monitor setup, so was thinking of getting two HD 5870 eyefinity 6 graphic cards and connecting 6 displays into each and run the setup this way.

Maybe some of you have personal experience and could help me out by recommending the best setup for no lag input and everything working flawlessly. 

you could get a workstation GPU for him if hes not going to game

i think those are better for multi-monitor setups (not sure tho)

do you mean the amd firepro? These are pretty good for this yeah

System: CPU - I5-6500 Motherboard - Asus B150M-A RAM - Crucial ballistix sport 2x4GB DDR4 @2400MHz GPU - RX 480 PSU - Seasonic S12II 520W Case - Aerocool Aero-800 HDD - Seagate 1TB SSD - PNY CS1311 120GB Monitor - AOC G2260VWQ6

A 6990 could run six monitors off of one card iirc.. Could find a couple of those on ebay maybe?

I second that

EDIT: Or if hes gaming too a 980ti Kingpin can do 6 i think

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

A 6990 could run six monitors off of one card iirc.. Could find a couple of those on ebay maybe?

The card only supports 5 displays so would still need to get 3.

EDIT: I see that it supports 6 with a splitter.

im a nvidia fan personally but amd firepros is just as good as the quadros

but yeah firepro would work well (i think that a single firepro 9100 can drive 6 4k monitors)

The card only supports 5 displays so would still need to get 3

How the hell did AMD connect 5 displays to one card then..?

You could look at some gpus from Matrox, their products are pretty much intended for stuff like your friend wants.

Curing shitposts by shitposts

Dayum firepro are 3K each

You could look at some gpus from Matrox, their products are pretty much intended for stuff like your friend wants.

Thank you will look into them, but from first look those cards dont look so powerful for what they can do.

• 6 months later...

actually you could have bought 3 firepro w4100s

$160 each and support four 4k monitors each