How to copy DVDs to a file

So, to expand my on-demand movie collection, I would like to rip a bunch of my DVDs to .mp4s. But I don't know how to do this, and I'm about to head to bed. I was hoping you guys could shed some light on free software that will do this with good quality.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I used this for copying simpsons to a laptop for a trip to europe. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

So, to expand my on-demand movie collection, I would like to rip a bunch of my DVDs to .mp4s. But I don't know how to do this, and I'm about to head to bed. I was hoping you guys could shed some light on free software that will do this with good quality.

I use Make MKV to rip them off the disk and then Handbrake to change them to whatever file type I want. 

http://www.makemkv.com/

https://handbrake.fr/

Any tips to make the output look as nice as possible?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Any tips to make the output look as nice as possible?

X264 settings are more of an art form than a science. On the "advanced tab" copy and paste these settings there's a box at the bottom, these are good for standard live action films.

ref=9:mixed-refs=1:b-adapt=2:bframes=6:weightb=1:direct=auto:me=umh:subq=9:analyse=all:8x8dct=1:trellis=2:no-fast-pskip=1:psy-rd=1,0:merange=24:deblock=-2,-2:rc-lookahead=50:aq-strength=1.2:b-pyramid=2

In the Video tab, make sure Video Codec is set to H.264 (x264) and Framerate is Same as source. Then select Constant Quality  - the RF number dictates the bitrate that is thrown at the encode, the smaller the number the larger the bitrate. For standard definition you should use a value between 17.5 and 19.5, usually start in the middle. What I generally do is make a few encodes of a 30 second clip of the movie, and see how much loss there is at certain values, and pick something that is acceptable.

I use Make MKV to rip them off the disk and then Handbrake to change them to whatever file type I want. 

http://www.makemkv.com/

https://handbrake.fr/

+1 this. I did this combo when I ripped several of my DVD shows.

X264 settings are more of an art form than a science. On the "advanced tab" copy and paste these settings there's a box at the bottom, these are good for standard live action films.

In the Video tab, make sure Video Codec is set to H.264 (x264) and Framerate is Same as source. Then select Constant Quality  - the RF number dictates the bitrate that is thrown at the encode, the smaller the number the larger the bitrate. For standard definition you should use a value between 17.5 and 19.5, usually start in the middle. What I generally do is make a few encodes of a 30 second clip of the movie, and see how much loss there is at certain values, and pick something that is acceptable.

I would also add that when converting DVD's in Handbrake, ALWAYS make sure to enable Deinterlacing. Some playback software will auto-deinterlace when you play the video clip, but most won't, so it's best to just hardcode deinterlace - the results will be better anyway.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/DeinterlacingGuide

I specifically recommend using the "Decomb" feature, since it scans every frame for interlacing, and only deinterlaces frames that actually have interlacing - deinterlacing frames that aren't interlaced can have some negative quality side effects. Using Decomb will avoid the negatives.

Also, for a DVD, I'd wager that he could easily go as far as RF 20 and still have almost indistinguishable results. I used RF 20 for my DVD collection and RF 18 for my Blu-Ray collection, and both turned out pretty much identical to the eye to the source.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)