Fiat Issues Software Patch After Hackers Take Over Car

Suika

55dc537a6388de21e0f27cf5b6ba4e95.png

(click for sauce)

After hearing about the Jeep Cherokee, Fiat decided to add more security to their vehicles.

Very recently, many articles sprung up about hackers taking total control of a 2014 Jeep Cherokee, and killing the engine while the driver was still going very fast. A very impressive feat on part of the hackers, but an even greater statement that cars will need serious security improvements if they're to be inter-connected. Fiat plans to do just that.

Fiat Chrysler on Wednesday said it is offering a software patch for some of its internet-connected vehicles after a report showing hackers seizing control of a moving 2014 Jeep Cherokee.

Interesting to see somebody finally step up to the plate with security like that, the Jeep being taken over could be a start, without serious security drivers could be at a very real risk. In a lighter scenario, just imagine hackers completely locking you out of your vehicle unless you pay them for access.

Fiat Chrysler claimed no first-hand knowledge of any of its vehicles being hacked and released a statement saying that software updates are sometimes required "for improved security protection to reduce the potential risk of unauthorized and unlawful access to vehicle systems."  

Fiat Chrysler has updated more vehicles in the past but it's wonderful to see them continuing the trend, constantly improving existing security.

So what do you guys think, is car security a real issue? Will we need anti-virus software for our cars before long?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I hope motor bikes don't become connected...

Imagine....

Skynet.... Terminator...

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Just imagine, you really need to drive somewhere, but when you start, or shall I say boot your machine, it has to install updates 30 minutes long before you can hit the road.

This is why I don't trust things that have the ability to connect wirelessly. They will always have security flaws which will can be exploited by someone. At least with a physical connection the cracker would have to have physical access which would be much more difficult for them to achieve without raising suspicions.

Just imagine, you really need to drive somewhere, but when you start, or shall I say boot your machine, it has to install updates 30 minutes long before you can hit the road.

installing service pack 1/3

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015