Noctua vs Corsair Fan Guide

Noctua VS Corsair Fans

A Comparison Between Airflow, Acoustical Noise, and Static Pressure

Prepared by BigDay

Last Edited: July 19, 2015

My Other Guides:

Intel Haswell & Haswell-Refresh CPU Overclocking Guide
NVIDIA & AMD Graphics Card Overclocking Guide

Thank you for taking the time to read this guide. If you've found this guide helpful, please click the "Like This" button at the bottom right-hand side of the post.

This guide contains links to each product. Click HERE to access the spreadsheet data!

I've compiled data on the following Corsair and Noctua fans in order to compare them so that you can make a more informed decision when it comes to performance

Please keep in mind, this is simply a basic comparison between airflow (CFM), acoustical noise (dbA), and static pressure (mm/H20) metrics. There are a multitude of technologies inherit to each fan that may increase performance even though one fan's metrics may be worse than the other. This type of comparison is outside the scope of this guide.

SP140 (High Static Pressure)

Radiator Fan @ 120mm:

SP120 (Performance Edition)

SP120 (Quiet Edition)

Case Ventilation @ 140mm:

AF140 (Quiet Edition)

*Note: Currently, there is no AF140 @140mm that comes in a "Performance Edition"

Case Ventilation @ 120mm:

AF120 (Performance Edition)

AF120 (Quiet Edition)

NF-A14 PWM

NF-A14 PWM (w/ Low Noise Adapter)

Radiator Fan @ 120mm:

NF-F12 PWM

NF-F12 PWM (w/ Low Noise Adapter)

Case Ventilation @ 120mm:

NF-S12A PWM

NF-S12A PWM (w/ Low Noise Adapter)

Which Fan Should I Buy? Conclusions:

[spoiler=Radiator Fan @ 140mm (Noctua or Corsair?):]Winner: Noctua NF-A14 PWM

With the low noise adapter (LNA) off, the Noctua NF-A14 PWM fan is superior to the Corsair SP140 (High Static Pressure) fan in 3 ways:

• 67% more airflow as measured by CFM
  • 16% less noise as measured by dbA
  • 77% more static pressure as measured by mm/H20

With the low noise adapter (LNA) ON, the Noctua NF-A14 PWM fan is STILL superior to the Corsair SP140 (High Static Pressure) fan in 3 ways:

• 37% more airflow as measured by CFM
  • 34% less noise as measured by dbA
  • 29% more static pressure as measured by mm/H20

With the low noise adapter (LNA) off, the Noctua NF-A14 PWM fan is superior to the Corsair AF140 (Quiet Edition) fan in 3 ways:

• 22% more airflow as measured by CFM
  • Only 2.5% louder as measured by dbA
  • 147% more static pressure as measured by mm/H20

With the low noise adapter (LNA) ON, the Noctua NF-A14 PWM fan is STILL superior to the Corsair AF140 (Quiet Edition) fan in 3 ways:

• 0.3% more airflow as measured by CFM
  • 20% less noise as measured by dbA
  • 80% more static pressure as measured by mm/H20

Noctua NF-F12 PWM vs Corsair SP120 (Performance Edition):

Winner: Corsair SP120 (Performance Edition)

*Corsair wins if you're more concerned about performance than noise. If you're more concerned about noise in this category, go with the Noctua as the performance metrics are very close.

The Corsair SP120 (Performance Edition) is superior to the Noctua NF-F12 PWM in terms of performance in 2 ways:

• 14% more airflow as measured by CFM
  • 19% more static pressure as measured by mm/H20

The Corsair SP120 (Performance Edition) is 56% louder than the Noctua NF-F12 PWM

Noctua NF-F12 PWM (w/ Low Noise Adapter) vs Corsair SP120 (Quiet Edition):

Winner: Noctua NF-F12 PWM (w/ Low Noise Adapter)

The Noctua NF-F12 PWM (w/ Low Noise Adapter) is superior to the Corsair SP120 (Quiet Edition) in 3 ways:

• 16% more airflow as measured by CFM
  • 19% less noise as measured by dbA
  • 42% more static pressure as measured by mm/H20

Noctua NF-S12A PWM

Winner: Noctua NF-S12A PWM

The Noctua NF-S12A PWM is superior to the Corsair AF120 (Performance Edition) in 3 ways:

• Only 0.4% less airflow as measured by CFM
  • 41% less noise as measured by dbA
  • 8% more static pressure as measured by mm/H20

Noctua NF-S12A PWM (w/ Low Noise Adapter) vs Corsair AF120 (Quiet Edition):

Winner: Noctua NF-S12A PWM (w/ Low Noise Adapter)

The NF-S12A PWM (w/ Low Noise Adapter) is superior to the Corsair AF120 (Quiet Edition) in 3 ways:

• 22% more airflow as measured by CFM
  • 49% less noise as measured by dbA
  • 46% more static pressure as measured by mm/H20

Noctua: 5

Corsair: 1

keywords: noctua, corsair, sp, 120, 140, af, nf-f12, pwm, nf, f12, nf-p12, nf-s12a, s12a, vs, better, best, performance, cfm, static, pressure, dba, noise, less, more, nf-a14, cpu, cooler, flx, uln, nf-p12 pwm, nf-s12a pwm, nf-f12 pwm, nf-a14 pwm, edition, quiet, case, ventilation, radiator, radiators, cooling, cool, rpm, fast, faster, low, noise, adapter, lna

vs Corsair AF120 (Performance Edition):
Winner: Noctua NF-A14 PWM
Click HERE to access the spreadsheet data!
Radiator Fan @ 140mm + Case Ventilation @ 140mm:
Radiator Fan @ 140mm:
Data was compiled from the official manufacturer's websites @ Noctua.at & Corsair.com. Conversions between m3/h to CFM were completed through "ENDMEMO"

BigDay

Now if only noctua fans weren't so dam ugly...

Redux, or you can be like me and make them work.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I think it's an interesting comparison, altho i don't think it's particularly leveled, since noctua is as high end as it gets while the corsair fans are quiet basic and actually IMO expensive for what they are, there are many fans in the market that can offer similar or maybe better performance than noctua in particular applications, specially if you factor in price, cause, even if it is 5 fans average at 20 bucks (very low estimate) that's a 100 bucks of not very tangible performance.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I think it's an interesting comparison, altho i don't think it's particularly leveled, since noctua is as high end as it gets while the corsair fans are quiet basic and actually IMO expensive for what they are, there are many fans in the market that can offer similar or maybe better performance than noctua in particular applications, specially if you factor in price, cause, even if it is 5 fans average at 20 bucks (very low estimate) that's a 100 bucks of not very tangible performance.

Tell that to my dumb ass who bought 7 of the iPPC fans. :P

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Tell that to my dumb ass who bought 7 of the iPPC fans. :P

All i'm saying is no one HAS to buy Noctua, whatever you buy as long as you are happy with it isn't anyone's elses bussiness, but i feel like anytime someone ask for fan advice, no matter the context, someone hijacks the thread screaming NOCTUA!!! 

For the record, i would love to buy a noctua product just to check out that legendary quality, but i don't think it's healthy for this forum to have a brand so embedded into our heads to the point we are not making sense. You got a custom watercooled PC, noctuas make sense to you, but if i see someone spending less on a PSU for fans, then it's another story. And...it's not like i'm mr price to performance, just...giving more sensible advice according to the context, that's what i think sometimes it's lacking.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

All i'm saying is no one HAS to buy Noctua, whatever you buy as long as you are happy with it isn't anyone's elses bussiness, but i feel like anytime someone ask for fan advice, no matter the context, someone hijacks the thread screaming NOCTUA!!! 

For the record, i would love to buy a noctua product just to check out that legendary quality, but i don't think it's healthy for this forum to have a brand so embedded into our heads to the point we are not making sense. You got a custom watercooled PC, noctuas make sense to you, but if i see someone spending less on a PSU for fans, then it's another story. And...it's not like i'm mr price to performance, just...giving more sensible advice according to the context, that's what i think sometimes it's lacking.

I completely understand. I just somehow managed to spend $210 worth in 7 fans which is quite ridiculous. I agree with you. Keep giving the great advice, I've seen you posting lately and you give some quality advice. Shame not all can follow suit.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I completely understand. I just somehow managed to spend $210 worth in 7 fans which is quite ridiculous. I agree with you. Keep giving the great advice, I've seen you posting lately and you give some quality advice. Shame not all can follow suit.

Thanks man! And that's what i meant, you spent that money knowing what kind of returns you'd be getting, and fuck it, i bet you got an epic rig, but it pisses me off when someone is doing a first build and wants something nice and functional and people start saying brands like they're on autopilot, i remember one guy had a FX 6300 and the answer he got for what cooling to use was 'run over that chip and get a better one'...I know that was a particularly douchy case, but its that general vibe of dismissing people over brands, for me it's funny cause this is my first build and the only reason i got intel was marketing, i had heard much more of intel...lol

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Am I the only one who finds Noctuas to be audible compared to other fans? They don't get terribly loud at 1000 RPM but it can definitely be heard, and can be audible down to 400 RPM, while my Fractal fans are dead silent from 1000RPM and below.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Now if only noctua fans weren't so dam ugly...

If only there were LED Noctua fans.

For the price of 2-3 corsair fans, you can get a single noctua fan.

Corsair fans have a better value for price but terms of ultimate performance? Nope

The point of Corsair's fans is that they are decent quality at an OK price. Noctua's are premium quality and price.

My one criticism of them is that it's there isn't much granularity in their PWM control. You have to use the LNA -- without it I can't get them to spin slower than 600 rpm.

I love my Noctua fans. Coming from case full of Corsair fans, I'm glad I saved my pennies and bought Noctuas. I thought It wouldn't make a big difference but man there is. Plus the Industrial versions I got look fantastic in my 450D.

I love my Noctua fans. Coming from case full of Corsair fans, I'm glad I saved my pennies and bought Noctuas. I thought It wouldn't make a big difference but man there is. Plus the Industrial versions I got look fantastic in my 450D.

i c wut u did thar

Am I the only one who finds Noctuas to be audible compared to other fans? They don't get terribly loud at 1000 RPM but it can definitely be heard, and can be audible down to 400 RPM, while my Fractal fans are dead silent from 1000RPM and below.

Rpm doesn't really provide any useful metric for comparing fans other than potential injuries from being caught in spinning fan blades. 

The benefit of Noctuas is being very quiet while providing decent performance--I prefer them at <400rpm. 

My one criticism of them is that it's there isn't much granularity in their PWM control. You have to use the LNA -- without it I can't get them to spin slower than 600 rpm.

That's what SpeedFan is for. My pwm Noctuas can go as low as 7% (a bit less than 100rpm). 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That's what SpeedFan is for. My pwm Noctuas can go as low as 7% (a bit less than 100rpm). 

I use speedfan. Without a LNA they don't spin at all below 37%. 

I use speedfan. Without a LNA they don't spin at all below 37%. 

Which fans are you using? Are you running them off of the cpu fan header? Other fan headers don't necessarily provide proper pwm control. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Which fans are you using? Are you running them off of the cpu fan header? Other fan headers don't necessarily provide proper pwm control. 

They are all NF-A14 PWM fans. They are plugged into various fan headers -- SpeedFan considers them all "sys". They are all 4-pin headers.

They are all NF-A14 PWM fans. They are plugged into various fan headers -- SpeedFan considers them all "sys". They are all 4-pin headers.

Even if they are 4pin headers, only the cpu fan header is guaranteed by Intel to run pwm properly. 

I run all of my fans off of two 5-way pwm fan splitters off of the cpu header. 

Winner: Corsair SP120 (Performance Edition)

*Corsair wins if you're more concerned about performance than noise. If you're more concerned about noise in this category, go with the Noctua as the performance metrics are very close.

The Corsair SP120 (Performance Edition) is superior to the Noctua NF-F12 PWM in terms of performance in 2 ways:

• 14% more airflow as measured by CFM
  • 19% more static pressure as measured by mm/H20

The Corsair SP120 (Performance Edition) is 56% louder than the Noctua NF-F12 PWM

The SP120 is more than twice as loud according to your data.

the scale is logarithmic!

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Even if they are 4pin headers, only the cpu fan header is guaranteed by Intel to run pwm properly. 

I run all of my fans off of two 5-way pwm fan splitters off of the cpu header. 

Ah from what I've just been reading around my motherboard, it seems you're correct. My motherboard has two headers that are definitely true PWM. The Chassis fans are "fake" PWM -- they are controllable from about 37%-100%. The Opt fans are labelled by Asus as being true PWM as well, but Fan Xpert doesn't even recognise them and SpeedFan can see them (always at full speed) and doesn't seem able to control them at all. The bios can control them, but it is reporting their speed as 800 RPM, which sounds about right from the noise level.

So ok. Scratch my prior complaint. The Noctua fans are fine, it's my motherboard that's the issue.

Did you forget the factor in looks and price?

Looks is a very subjective factor. And for the price you're getting not only a generally high quality product, but what a lot of people seem to forget is, that Noctua gives you a 7 year warrenty on all of their products, which (as far as I know) is class leading. Not to mention that stuff from beQuiet! or Noiseblocker aren't necessarely cheaper.

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Ah from what I've just been reading around my motherboard, it seems you're correct. My motherboard has two headers that are definitely true PWM. The Chassis fans are "fake" PWM -- they are controllable from about 37%-100%. The Opt fans are labelled by Asus as being true PWM as well, but Fan Xpert doesn't even recognise them and SpeedFan can see them (always at full speed) and doesn't seem able to control them at all. The bios can control them, but it is reporting their speed as 800 RPM, which sounds about right from the noise level.

So ok. Scratch my prior complaint. The Noctua fans are fine, it's my motherboard that's the issue.

I have a similar motherboard  to yours, and for example, running 2 identical fans, one from the CPU FAN header, the other from a CHASIS FAN header, the one on the CPU fan header went down all the way to 10%, the other started at 40%, so like Linus put it once, the CPU PWM fan header is the least broken PWM fan implementation on any given mobo, even in high end ROG boards from ASUS. If you want better control just get a splitter for the CPU fan header (up to 5way i believe) and use it to control all your fans. Personally for me, the chasis fan headers are fine since i would run my fans at 40% anyway. Oh and the OPT fans, any of them, including CPU OPT are like plugging them to your PSU, no control whatsoever.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Looks is a very subjective factor. And for the price you're getting not only a generally high quality product, but what a lot of people seem to forget is, that Noctua gives you a 7 year warrenty on all of their products, which (as far as I know) is class leading. Not to mention that stuff from beQuiet! or Noiseblocker aren't necessarely cheaper.

Yeah, i think it's odd comparing this 2 particular lines of fans, i get it in the sense they both make SP and AF optimized versions, but Noctua should be compared to Noiseblockers or gentle typhoons when it comes to where they stand in the market. Extremely high quality quiet fans that perform well, corsair simply doesn't make the cut, the real question is, on a given build with a particular budget, do noctuas make sense? For many cases the answer is a big no, but i think there are fans that are inbetween or even cheaper than corsair's that perform better. I would love to buy a noctua fan just to get that level of quality, but my budget didn't allow it, doesn't mean corsair fans was my only choice tho, i never recomend corsair fans simply because there are better options for the same money or MUCH better options for considerably more money AKA noctua

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10