Windows 10 - Dont want to Update? Too damn bad!

Hmm, that is actually a good idea. You should submit it to Windows Feedback if you have the preview installed. Or post it on Microsoft Answers community. That's what Microsoft is looking at.

Microsoft don't give a damn... I've upvoted people reporting the same issues but most people don't understand what is going on (look at this thread) or just don't care.

Even if a lot of people upvoted the issue and it got Microsoft's attention I doubt they would do anything about it. Just look at how half-assed they listened to the feedback regarding transparency. They did like 1/3 of what people asked for and then locked the suggestion and marked it as solved.

So here is the thing I don't get:

-> Everyone updates their Windows to the max regardless (unless specific issues, but those are super rare)

-> On Phones and tablets, all updates are forced into 1 package, and everyone gets it, and wants it, demands it even, and annoyed that they cant' get it at all or on day 1 due to manufactures need to do a special implementation for each of their phones and pass testing, and service providers, blocking them because 'they need to test them, to make sure it doesn't break their network' (apparently that's a daily issue for them)

Now Windows does it, and now it is the end of the world? We don't accept it? Even though, I think anyone here can raise their hand that they at least at one time they have repaired or came in contact with a PC that didn't have its Windows updated, and you updated it and everything is fine.

Phones and desktops/laptops are very, very different. Both on hardware configurations as well as how they are used. I don't think you can compare the two and assume that what's good on one will also be good on the other.

Another thing that makes me really mad over this and not over phone updates is that this is Microsoft taking control we used to have away from us. We never had that level of control on phones to begin with, so I find it easier to accept there. Might sound weird but taking something away from someone is more offensive than not giving something to someone to begin with.

So Microsoft is forcing update to boost the user experience, and to ensure maximum security, making it harder for malware/virus/hackers makers to exploit Windows.

Sorry for the french but how the fuck does anyone even begin to think that this will improve user experience? It fucking doesn't. It only decreases it because it doesn't add any benefits. You could already get automatic updates on Windows if users wanted it, but now Microsoft has decided that "hmm... some users want to disable automatic updates so let's force them to update anyway".

Removing control and options from your customers does not enhance the user experience.

I think this highlights that my concern, and our concern of updates causing problems is a non issue.

People not voting for it != It's not an issue.

It's just that people don't know what's best for them. In this case doing what I suggestion would be the best for the users. Microsoft probably want to do this so that they will be able to patch piracy activation methods, and so they can force users to install things they might not want, but will benefit Microsoft.

Personally I think it's terrible.

It's never a good thing when consumers lose control over their own computers.

Even if you argue that the average Joe don't know what's best for him, there are a lot of other ways of making sure he gets the updates and still let power users have control.

In fact, this new update method might be even more dangerous than the other one because in Windows 7/8 you can just ignore a single update (which might cause issues for you) and still install the other ones. If you get an issue with a single update on Windows 10 then you'll have to not get any of the other updates either.

The thing about the "average Joe" argument is that Windows 7 had this. Windows 7 had the option to blindly install all updates and to prompt a restart whenever it was done. My mum's laptop never went unupdated because we chose the option to install all updates without needing her input.

And it did this without removing the choice from people who did know what they were doing.

Not everything in Windows update is a security update. Not everything is even from Microsoft. Updates I have elected to ignore in the past include Razer Synapse (which is a steaming puddle of wank, btw, and completely unnecessary -- I don't need to cloud sync a keyboard that never leaves my desk) and Bing Desktop Toolbar. Would I be forced to install bloat like this in the future because Windows Update says I have no choice?

you guys are just butthurt.. its just like chrome updating wtihout you knowing it is.

Except that Chrome doesn't have a history of occasionally messing up to the point where a couple hundred thousand PCs go into a boot loop or randomly start bluescreening. 

Windows does have such a history. 

There's an easy solution for the whole Windows 10 Update problem : don't get Windows 10.

Except that Chrome doesn't have a history of occasionally messing up to the point where a couple hundred thousand PCs go into a boot loop or randomly start bluescreening. 

Windows does have such a history. 

There's an easy solution for the whole Windows 10 Update problem : don't get Windows 10.

microsoft will not fuck this one up. win10 isnt an upgrade. its the final product. microsoft realizes the new os releases only hurt the market

Yes, Microsoft said that Edge will get continuous updates. No more waiting for the next version of Windows.

I already knew Home wasn't going to work for me and was planning on getting Pro, but delaying isn't going to cut it, I want complete control like Win7 has. I'm not going to upgrade if it means I'm losing functionality. So that means I'm actually going to need to get Enterprise. Hip hip fracking hooray! Nothing I love more than spending a fortune because I don't want to give Microsoft the unrestricted ability to modify my computer.

It's not that we don't want the updates at all, its that we're not being given a choice. I don't care if an update's intentions are entirely benevolent, my computer is my property and I don't want anything to be changed without asking my permission. 99% of the time I will probably install all of the updates I receive, but there needs to be something that keeps Microsoft's control over your computer in check. Once its just a given that Microsoft can do as they see fit, what's stopping them from uninstalling programs they don't like or deleting files they don't want you to have? My computer is my domain and I don't want an entity that cares for nothing but profits poking their grubby fingers inside my computer whenever they feel like.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Go to GNU/Linux.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I am actually glad they did that,so I can forget about it but I can see problems with people on bandwidth limits though.

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I am actually glad they did that,so I can forget about it but I can see problems with people on bandwidth limits though.

I honestly didnt even think about bandwidth limits, im not sure about other countries, but I know that here in Australia we can get anything from 5GB per month to 2TB per month (Me personally, I have 200GB) and as you said, these forced updates will be a huge problem for say someone who only gets 5GB/month only leaving them with a 'bees dick' worth of data for their own usage.