is it safe to use gptgen with windows 10?

linuxfan66

I want to convert my mbr hdd to gpt to put the uefi of my toshiba p850 in uefi mode rather than csm however to do that i need to convert it to gpt.

Is it safe to use gptgen to convert the type?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

No need, as long as you have CSM disabled and use 8 or higher Windows will automatically format the HDD as GPT during the install process.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

No need, as long as you have CSM disabled and use 8 or higher Windows will automatically format the HDD as GPT during the install process.

You missed the point entirely I have an existing install

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Then no, its possible to convert MBR to GPT without losing data, what you would lose however is your current boot data. MBR & GPT use different methods of booting, MBR store that bootloader in the MBR while GPT creates a 100mb boot partition will all your boot information stored in it. Besides this fact Windows actually requires a different bootloader entirely when booting in UEFI mode so even if you did convert your drive and keep all the boot data correct it still wouldn't work.

To switch from Legacy to UEFI boot mode you will need to do a reinstall of your OS.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Then no, its possible to convert MBR to GPT without losing data, what you would lose however is your current boot data. MBR & GPT use different methods of booting, MBR store that bootloader in the MBR while GPT creates a 100mb boot partition will all your boot information stored in it. Besides this fact Windows actually requires a different bootloader entirely when booting in UEFI mode so even if you did convert your drive and keep all the boot data correct it still wouldn't work.

To switch you will need to do a reinstall of your OS.

I kinda agree with Master Disaster,but actually you don't need to reinstall OS by using a freeware aomei Partition assistant,after installing this software, the Convert mBR/GPT wizard will guide you through the process. it will create a efi boot partition. You just enter bios and change  from Legacy to UEFI boot mode, and then you can boot your computer.