high temps

Hi,

I have a 4790k + h110i gt and i have big temps, 40 in idle. Case is: fractal design define r5 and the radiator is installed in front.

Can you tell me where i installed wrong ? Thank you,

Hi,

I have a 4790k + h110i gt and i have big temps, 40 in idle. Case is: fractal design define r5 and the radiator is installed in front.

Maybe try putting the rad in the top?

What are your OC specs? Maybe you turned the voltage up to high.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

thats normal...

Favourite Game: 
The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion -[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion]
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is an action role-playing video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks and the Take-Two Interactive subsidiary, 2K Games. It is the fourth installment in The Elder Scrolls action fantasy video game series, following The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and preceding The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Oblivion was first released in March 2006. 

Favourite Music: 
Look at my Mixcloud [https://www.mixcloud.com/Gabelele/]  If you want  

PC specs: 

-Pentium G3258 
-GTX 750ti 
-8gb no name RAM 
-MSI h81m-e34 
-240gb Kingston SSD now SSD 
-1tb Seagate baracuda HDD 
-500watt Aero cool 'X-strike' PSU 
-Bitfenix Neos (Blue Y Black) 

- Modded Microsoft -Intelli mouse [linustechtips.com] (thanks to TheRandomness X/) 
-Logitech K120 keyboard 
-ASUS 21.5" 1080p monitor 

No mates facts: 

Favorite tank: Sturmgeschütz III (I understand the Sturmgeschütz series are not technically tanks but infact SPGs, 'got me') 
Favorite Aircraft: Henschel Hs 129

Roles or characters in games: 
WarThunder = Tank destroyer and sometimes my KV-1B if im bored 
CSGO = Sniper, I seem to be able to AWP 'well' apperently 
RPGs in general = Mage or Tank w/ resoration

I didn't oc because i installed 2 days ago and i didnt had time.

@Gabe normal temps ?

Well I think we need to start off by gathering a bit more information, can post your full build, possibly a picture with the pump and radiator setup inside the case and some temps while performing stress tests(i would recommend using the Intel XTU program). Then we can make more recommendations.

Hi,

Try getting some Arctic silver 5 thermal compound and putting that on there. That's what I did and I have about 10-25 degrees cooler under load and around 5-10 at idle...

CPU: i7-8700K I CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: ROG Strix 1080 Ti MoBo: ROG Strix Z370-E RAM:  G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)   PSU: CORSAIR HXi Series HX1000i Case: Corsair Air 540 Display: 24" 1920X1080p 144Hz ASUS - 27" 2560X1440p 144Hz Dell OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Well I think we need to start off by gathering a bit more information, can post your full build, possibly a picture with the pump and radiator setup inside the case and some temps while performing stress tests(i would recommend using the Intel XTU program). Then we can make more recommendations.

i7 4790k + asus maximus vii hero + h110i + fractal design define r5

and a pic with

https://www.dropbox.com/s/59xi0lqb1dohldx/Photo%2005.07.2015%2C%2014%2039%2058.jpg?dl=0

@Bangflop if the problem is thermal compound, il change, but i dont think this is the problem.

Edit: in 4 minutes i will post intel xtu 5 minutes stress.

and a pic with

Photo%2005.07.2015%2C%2014%2039%2058.jpg

@Bangflop if the problem is thermal compound, il change, but i dont think this is the problem.

photo doesn't seem to be working for me...

i think the best information we can get is from a short stress test, go grab the Intel XTU program, install and run a quick stress test. 40c isnt bad for idle if your case has poor air flow or ambient temperatures are high(btw how warm is it in the room) my 4790k in a room at 72 deg F idles at 32-33c with very good air flow.

thermal compound is always a good starting place(remember pea shaped and about the size of a VRM capacitor(the little silver cans around the cpu socket)), if you're planning/needing to buy some i would recommend the noctua NT-H1 as per the cost and the tomshardware guide huge indepth thermal compound test from a year or two ago.

I am back, the temperature in XTU for 5 minutes are 85-88 degrees.

Check the pic again.

I have some artic 5 and i can apply that.

i see your picture now, do you have the fractal fan installed in the front of the case? if so the 2 corsair fans are installed backwards, they are pushing air out the front of the case, remember the fan has little arrows on the side to show airflow direction and on most fans the fan hub support is the end that the airflow comes out of. i would start by flipping the corsair fans around as a good first step.

Hi,

The air flow to the bottom fan probably isn't the best, but not sure it should be that would make a difference, double fan rad is pretty over kill without any over clocking.  Whats the temp of your room? Also make sure your tubing isn't kinked reducing flow, also make sure your fans are properly orientated.  The stock thermal paste is fine, it won't make that big of a difference, I'm using the stock stuff on my h100i and I idle with temps of about 33 degrees.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

also on an unrelated note, the power supply on the fractal r5 is designed to have the fan facing down towards the floor so it sucks air in from outside the case(it has a filter underneath to filter the air)

The air flow to the bottom fan probably isn't the best, but not sure it should be that would make a difference, double fan rad is pretty over kill without any over clocking.  Whats the temp of your room? Also make sure your tubing isn't kinked reducing flow, also make sure your fans are properly orientated.  The stock thermal paste is fine, it won't make that big of a difference, I'm using the stock stuff on my h100i and I idle with temps of about 33 degrees.

Yeah I'm about in the same boat as you. I have a stock H100i witha i7-4790K and I idle around 30 degrees and the highest I've ever seen it go is 62...

CPU: i7-8700K I CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: ROG Strix 1080 Ti MoBo: ROG Strix Z370-E RAM:  G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)   PSU: CORSAIR HXi Series HX1000i Case: Corsair Air 540 Display: 24" 1920X1080p 144Hz ASUS - 27" 2560X1440p 144Hz Dell OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Yes, the 2 fans are pushing outside the case and i have 1 single rad who push air in case, so is like a push-pull with 3 vents.

I need to change the orientation of the fans ? 

The ambient temp in room is 27.1

@Maaxtraxx what ? to put the psu with face down ? I can do that :)

and a pic with

https://www.dropbox.com/s/59xi0lqb1dohldx/Photo%2005.07.2015%2C%2014%2039%2058.jpg?dl=0

Edit: in 4 minutes i will post intel xtu 5 minutes stress.

It's not that the compound is bad or anything but the aftermarket silver 5 compound is extremely good and even if you just got the cooler and the preaplied paste is fresh and still good, the silver 5 will still give you a noticeable difference in temps.

i just purchased a fractal r5 myself, the case comes with 1 fan preinstalled in the front in the upper position, it is setup preinstalled to push air into the case which means if it is still there it is pushing air against the top corsair fan and 2 fans blowing in the opposite directions at one another will generally mean 0 air flow, that is why i was concerned about the fan orientation. also, the general rule of thumb is to have the front of the case draw air in(it is also designed to filter intake air in the front) and the back of the case push air out to maintain an air flow moving in one direction through the case.

i'm running an overclocked i5 under 55C on stock Noctua paste, premium thermal pastes are for serious overclocking only. Why pay inordinate amounts for premium products when you can have something less expensive that gives a slightly lesser result but still does the job perfectly fine?

A tube of the Silver 5 is only $8 so it's not really a premium and if you want cooler temps even if you ware not OCing, then I would get better paste...

the temperatures you're getting are definitely high, my thoughts are on 2 things:

first: flip the corsair fans around so they are pulling air in from the front of the case, if the 1 preinstalled fractal design fan is still installed then it is already pulling air in from the front.

second: I agree with reapplying the thermal compound and checking the spread and contact you got with the preinstalled compound.

third: I have a h100i GTX that was experiencing the same problem, after trying everything I could... I finally found this problem, I made a rather long post about what I found and what I did to correct it... that is if none of the above fixes your problem. it seems to be a problem specific to some Corsair AIO coolers not having enough mounting pressure(possibly due to these specific pumps having a bad cooler bracket design(behind the mobo) or improper tolerances of some sort.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/383857-temps-w-i7-4790k-and-h100i-gtx/

I own an R5 too, you can't mount a rad in the front without removing those fans really, it just plain won't work without a lot of messing around

OP, put the rad on the top, it'll benefit your cooling plus it means you don't have a HDD bay getting int he way of your airflow.

Good recommendation to put the rad on top. With my R5 putting the radiator in front was really easy, I simply removed the preinstalled fractal fan and attached the radiator behind it and then put both fractal fans that came with the case in the front in a push configuration then installed the corsair fans in a pull configuration.

post-230666-0-39035900-1436047176_thumb.

Noctua NH-T1 is good quality stuff, there's no need for me to go out and buy tubes of thermal paste for one degree of difference. I run at 55C under full load, I don't think I can do much more to that to make a difference

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-performance-benchmark,3616.html

Toms hardware agrees... NT-H1 is one of the best and easiest to apply compounds out there

Thank you guys.

Now i do this surgery.

+ I changed the position of PSU

- il change corsair fan's orientation

- il change the thermal compound

And should i both fractal vents in front of rad ?

Sorry pix, didn't mean to hijack your thread with off topic discussions. i'll repost my pertinent though:

the temperatures you're getting are definitely high, my thoughts are on 2 things:

first: flip the corsair fans around so they are pulling air in from the front of the case, if the 1 preinstalled fractal design fan is still installed then it is already pulling air in from the front.

second: I agree with reapplying the thermal compound and checking the spread and contact you got with the preinstalled compound.

third: I have a h100i GTX that was experiencing the same problem, after trying everything I could... I finally found this problem, I made a rather long post about what I found and what I did to correct it... that is if none of the above fixes your problem. it seems to be a problem specific to some Corsair AIO coolers not having enough mounting pressure(possibly due to these specific pumps having a bad cooler bracket design(behind the mobo) or improper tolerances of some sort.

http://linustechtips...-and-h100i-gtx/

Thank you guys.

Now i do this surgery.

+ I changed the position of PSU

- il change corsair fan's orientation

- il change the thermal compound

And should i both fractal vents in front of rad ?

I personally did install both fractal fans in the front, pushing into the case and then installed a corsair AF-140 in the back of the case blowing out, either way it is most important to have the fans blowing in the proper direction.

Cant wait to hear how it all works when you're done!

thats normal...

stupid comment, normal for such a cooler is mid 20s idle if you dont live in the desert, its either had a bad install or the pumps failing and needs an rma, it also depends on what prime95 you use, 26.6 gives a lot lower temps than 28.6.

my bad you said xtu, thats even worse youre getting temps that high on there, prime95 isnt even that bad.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

Ok i did what you guys said and now i have with 8-10 degrees lower on intel xtu, means 79-83. 

Tomorrow i will buy one more vent to put in the front. Is a good temp now, or i should put the rad on top ? I didnt wanted to remove the top noise canceling, but i will do if this isnt good.

Edit: and 37-38 degrees on quiet mode now.