DVI to VGA Adapter Problems

Bonsai99

Bought this DVI adapter from Canada Computers, it was causing the display to show up as a Non Plug and Play monitor in Windows and was not showing the correct resolution options (the adapter seemingly isn't passing off EDID information to the GPU like it should). In addition it was causing the display to flash white bars across the screen during boot.

I did an exchange and still have the exact same problems. There is an option to override EDID settings in Catalyst Control Centre but I haven't had great success with it, when I tried setting it to native res (1600*900) on my brother's display it stretched the picture off screen and left a black bar at the top. Overriding EDID worked fine on my 1920*1080 monitor but still had the white flashes during boot.

37389.jpg

I have another DVI to VGA adapter which is working perfectly fine (Showing monitor name under Windows as well as proper resolution) this is what the DVI pinout looks like in comparison to the adapter from Canada Computers.

fah1W4D.png

Can anyone explain the cause of this? I assume the extra pins are confusing the graphics card/causing a conflict.

connector%20diagram%20for%20dvi%20connec

Only DVI-A and DVI-I are capable of analog signal that is necesary for VGA adapter.

Pins look fine, could there be something wrong with the calbe on your monitor?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Only DVI-A and DVI-I are capable of analog signal that is necesary for VGA adapter.

Pins look fine, could there be something wrong with the calbe on your monitor?

The adapter & my GPU has the necessary pins for analog or else I wouldn't be getting any display at all, cable is fine as well as it works flawlessly with the other adapter.

The adapter & my GPU has the necessary pins for analog or else I wouldn't be getting any display at all, cable is fine as well as it works flawlessly with the other adapter.

I'm out of ideas then... take it back to store, bring your other working adapter with you and tell them to replace with the one that's like the working one...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I'm out of ideas then... take it back to store, bring your other working adapter with you and tell them to replace with the one that's like the working one...

Did that, explained the problem to them and showed them the other adapter that works properly. They just suggested an exchange so I gave them a chance.

I either got another defective adapter or the adapter is defective by design.

Thanks for trying to help though, will have to go back again after I figure out which it is.