First PC build

I already have a case(ATX), a DVD drive, and a 550w PSU and have given myself a budget of $600. I'm planning on getting an ASRock 980 mobo, AMD 8320 CPU, HyperX Fury 8GB RAM stick, Sapphire 270X GPU, Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD, and the CM Storm Devastator keyboard and mouse combo.

Is this decent enough to get me started in the gaming community? If you have another build that would fit the budget WITHOUT the case, PSU, and optical drive feel free to comment it.

You can get a lot better with this budget

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill AEGIS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($46.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($262.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $611.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-04 01:30 EDT-0400

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

That build goes over my budget BUT it sounds pretty good and is only $12. Will take into consideration. Thanks

You can get a lot better with this budget

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 

Memory: G.Skill AEGIS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($46.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($262.98 @ Newegg) 

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($27.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $611.79

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-04 01:30 EDT-0400

This is exactly what I was thinking and is a solid plan, just interested what power supply do you have?

Not sure exactly. All I really know about it is that it's 550w and not madular

Modular

Does it have a name or label?

Pascal laptops guide

I don't have it on me at the moment. It is at my place of work. I pulled it off some older pc's. I know It would be better for me to get a new one but I've tested it by booting up the pc and it runs fine

I don't have it on me at the moment. It is at my place of work. I pulled it off some older pc's. I know It would be better for me to get a new one but I've tested it by booting up the pc and it runs fine

There is also a xfx r9 290x for 279.99 in case you are interested.

Pascal laptops guide

Are you buying the OS or do you already have it. You may want to make room for it in your budget.

I already have it

I already have a case(ATX), a DVD drive, and a 550w PSU and have given myself a budget of $600. I'm planning on getting an ASRock 980 mobo, AMD 8320 CPU, HyperX Fury 8GB RAM stick, Sapphire 270X GPU, Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD, and the CM Storm Devastator keyboard and mouse combo.

Is this decent enough to get me started in the gaming community? If you have another build that would fit the budget WITHOUT the case, PSU, and optical drive feel free to comment it.

Hey there,

Your plan seems pretty good. WD Blue is a great drive for such types of builds. 
I'd go for 2x4GB of RAM instead of 1x8GB to make a better use of the dual-channel support of the motherboard (unless you are planning on upgrading to 16GB down the road). :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/