Is AMD slowly dying?

Hello forum, 

with the recent release of the fury X, and it's relatively bad start I started wondering, is AMD slowly dying?

I would start saying that I am a strong believer of AMD products but even fanboys like me have to acknowledge that this company is lagging behind more and more with the passage of time.

In the CPU market there is basically no competition, Intel basically owns all the laptop market ( which is most of the pc market ) and in the desktop side the last competitive product we saw was the 8350 FX dated back to the 2012!  They were doing a very good job on the APU segment but  Intel is allegedly striking back with better integrated graphic in Skylake.

On the GPU side we have the Fury X. Very good looking card with the new HBM Technology and water cooled out of the box. ( For the sake of argument lets make it a positive feature ), the problem is performance. We had very high expectation, or at least i Had, but it didn't beat the 980 ti. For starters we would not have had the 980 ti if the fury X didn't exist. To my mind the 980ti was made by Nvidia only to crush the fury X, and in order to do so they had to give everything they got , the performance of a titan X at 650 usd. This is a huge merit of AMD and this is what you get in a free market when you have competition. Nvidia market share of desktop graphic is 76% ( q4 2014 ) and increasing, to turn the table AMD needed a win but it couldn't make it. 

In conclusion I think amd did a great job as an underdog to push the technology forward , however the shrinking market and the sales do not look so good for this company. What will amd do? Will they make it? Will they sell out? I wanna hear your thoughts.

Sorry for the English, and such and such ....

Sure it is. Don't know at what speed though.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

its a given that AMD has been going down, but this doesnt say anything for the future, and neither does this mean their products are bad in general.

Are you crazy? There are only 2 big companies which make GPU's, AMD and Nvidia, There wont be a monopoly. It is bad for the consumers.
The same on the CPU side, Only AMD and Intel, There wont be a monopoly. It is bad for the consumers.

They could possibly sell out in the future, But the technology wont become lost.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Yep, look at the financial balance sheets of AMD. 

So sad.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Are you crazy? There are only 2 big companies which make GPU's, AMD and Nvidia, There wont be a monopoly. It is bad for the consumers.

The same on the CPU side, Only AMD and Intel, There wont be a monopoly. It is bad for the consumers.

They could possibly sell out in the future, But the technology wont become lost.

Don't be delusional. Just because amd is failing and monopolies are bad does not mean it can't happen. Here in america, there are monopolies EVERYWHERE. The only hope I have if amd falls is that the goverment will step in and split up nvidia and intel. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Maybe i didn't explain myself very well, I do not say AMD products are bad nor I want a monopoly! I just wanted to see what the community's thoughts on amd's future.

Don't be delusional. Just because amd is failing and monopolies are bad does not mean it can't happen. Here in america, there are monopolies EVERYWHERE. The only hope I have if amd falls is that the goverment will step in and split up nvidia and intel. 

It is not a true monopoly if it is regulated.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

According to certain discussions here, no company has stood up to Intel and survived the fight.  Whatever happens to AMD, they put up a decent fight.

All companies are dying out, but that's what drives a business to make better products every year

Yes, they might die out, but the fact is it would take a long time for them to do so since there only two companies in both the GPU and CPU department

Honestly id expect Nvidia & or Intel to bail out AMD if things got bad like MS did with apple when alot of our forum users were still struggling to talk.

http://www.wired.com/2009/08/dayintech_0806/

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

It is not a true monopoly if it is regulated.

Dude, remember they are in america.

All hail the Tufts and Rockerfellers. wink wink

AMD cpu's and videocards are still good for some people, just because they're cheaper/lower-end than nividia & intel.

They're not top of the line, but even on this forum you see people considering and buying AMD everyday. And with that fact in mind, I doubt it's dying. Although they have to stepup their products if they want to keep up.

Hard to say. Financials are not the only thing to look at, this particular market is highly volatile since it requires massive R&D investments i.e. even intel looks quite unhealthy financially speaking from time to time due to the amount they invest back routinely.

Given that, even though it looks like they're on the red they are just a couple of successful products from turning the trend around fairly quickly. It's a risky business so they are always as likely to fail and go under as they are from gaining ground and getting huge numbers.

That being said I think someone like Samsung will eventually step in and buy em

-------

Current Rig

-------

Nvidia focuses only on GPUs so they can devote all resources to developing and producing GPUs and their GPUs are successful. AMD does CPU, APU, GPU, and not much but still Ram. Sadly enough they are developing their APUs...Which if you ask me should happen only after they can somewhat compete with Intel on CPUs, then bring in the APU technology because I don't really even see people who need the APU. Intel has CPUs and some other stuff but from their superior CPUs they have money to just keep adding on and going while AMD kinda seems to be screwing themselves over. Their GPUs are good enough to compete with Nvidia but they are just technology and features away from Nvidia holding them back there. CPUs for the most part are 3-4 years old and can't compete with Intel. The APUs are ahead...for now but like I said I don't see many people utilizing an APU, they need to get priorities straight. Hopefully Zen is able to compete in the i5 or i7 area (not i7 extreme) so they can start pulling more money in AND Intel prices on those parts go down. Also the Fury X wasn't a fail unless numerous people posted false information of how it sold out on the first day. Maybe like a rumor mentioned sometime recently that AMD and ATI will be apparent again with ATI on the GPU and AMD on the CPUs maybe then AMD can begin to compete with Intel.

the Fury X wasn't a fail unless numerous people posted false information of how it sold out on the first day.

They were sold out for lack of availability. ( based on last wan show )

If you don't have them , you can't sell them. 

AMD's next gpu will not be a rebrand of any kind. Oh my gucciness what a funny joke.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.