Will fx 8350 be equal to i5 4690K in gaming(DX12) and multitasking

If you already got the time to make the entire essay, might as well fix the spoiler so that people won't be bored of reading a long wall of text/essay. Just saying

It has to do with the maintenance.  If you look at the structure of it, all of the spoilers are in place, and intact.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

It has to do with the maintenance.  If you look at the structure of it, all of the spoilers are in place, and intact.

Yeah i know. Not entirely sure how long the spoiler thing is going to last anyway.

We have all seen the graphs you have been posted but the difference in most cases is less than 10fps to the 4690k not like life or death here you need to get off your high horse of hate and let people make up their own mind. The question here is about DX12 and besides draw calls we have no idea whats going to happen.

We have all seen the graphs you have been posted but the difference in most cases is less than 10fps to the 4690k not like life or death here you need to get off your high horse of hate and let people make up their own mind. The question here is about DX12 and besides draw calls we have no idea whats going to happen.

Let's see....spend approximately $250 for better performance right now and for years to come (and probably after that as well), or spend $250~ for something which may perform better than 3+ years.....The logical decision seems to be pretty straightforward.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Sorry for the spoilers being broken, but read this:

The truth can be denied, not avoided.

Awesome brother thank you so so much. But give me a day to read this fully tho . thanks again.

Let's see....spend approximately $250 for better performance right now and for years to come (and probably after that as well), or spend $250~ for something which may perform better than 3+ years.....The logical decision seems to be pretty straightforward.

Didn't say it wasn't better and didn't say he should buy the fx just tired of the hate and idk where you getting a 250 for a 8350 but subtract almost 100 dollars from that. They can be had for 165. now do i think a i5 would be better right now for sure. who doesn't but the difference that everyone says is so huge in real world is not nearly as drastic. going br graphs that is and I'm sure the 8350 experience is worse in other ways as well. but heat is not a big deal as i deal with it daily power draw is not that huge and i run mine at 1.36v on the core all of the time and cool it with a h80 with no issues. with mother board it is close to 250 but so will most decent intel cpus as well. do i think most people looking in this price range should go for a 4460 or something close to that yes. But i don't just spew hate when someone thinks differently.

Didn't say it wasn't better and didn't say he should buy the fx just tired of the hate and idk where you getting a 250 for a 8350 but subtract almost 100 dollars from that. They can be had for 165. now do i think a i5 would be better right now for sure. who doesn't but the difference that everyone says is so huge in real world is not nearly as drastic. going br graphs that is and I'm sure the 8350 experience is worse in other ways as well. but heat is not a big deal as i deal with it daily power draw is not that huge and i run mine at 1.36v on the core all of the time and cool it with a h80 with no issues. with mother board it is close to 250 but so will most decent intel cpus as well. do i think most people looking in this price range should go for a 4460 or something close to that yes. But i don't just spew hate when someone thinks differently.

It is.  Its the difference in minimum FPS that is very large.  Not to mention the difference in class of graphics card that can be satisfied.

You cannot compare just the price of the processor.  A proper motherboard + FX8 costs the same as a locked i5 + B85 motherboard.  That is why we say it costs the same, but one performs so much better than the other.

There is no hate being spewed, just facts.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Awesome brother thank you so so much. But give me a day to read this fully tho . thanks again.

No problem man.  I know its a long read, but it covers everything.

I'd say you'd be fine with either but i'd still go for the i5 personally

that being said, i'm sure the fx processors will deliver good performance

recently switched from amd to intel and now all my games run smooth as butter

just get the I5 and you will be happy i went from a 8350 to a I7 4790K and it was the best decision of my life also Dx12 will only work with DX12 games.... there are No Dx12 games  

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

are you saying 8350 is better at stock and what do you mean what difference will i get when i OC both

Theoretically if DX12 allows good distribution of workload across all cores available, 8350 would pull ahead of an i5-4690, both at stock speeds. However at this point nobody exactly knows as we're not DX12 testers, developers, nor time travelers. And of course, this isn't considering the many other ways that Intel is better such as upgradability, lower heat output, lower power consumption, stock cooler not sounding like a vacuum, etc

"Rawr XD"

DX12 isn't out yet so we don't know. Odds are that the performance increase will be beneficial to the i5 as well as the 8350

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

No problem man. I know its a long read, but it covers everything.

Bro went with you ordered 4690k and help is gigabyte z97m d3h mbo okay?

Bro went with you ordered 4690k and help is gigabyte z97m d3h mbo okay?

Yea, excellent CPU choice.

Mobo doesn't make much of a difference on Intel.  Its all about features and aesthetics.  Find a Z97 motherboard with the features and aesthetics that you like and go from there.

Yea, excellent CPU choice.

Mobo doesn't make much of a difference on Intel. Its all about features and aesthetics. Find a Z97 motherboard with the features and aesthetics that you like and go from there.

Cool but just worried about ocing in this board this is the cheap I can find in z97 .I won't be doing sli or cf even using an ssd so.

Cool but just worried about ocing in this board this is the cheap I can find in z97 .I won't be doing sli or cf even using an ssd so.

Overclocking results, unless going for world records will be the same on a "low end" Z97 motherboard as a "high end" Z97 motherboard.  It all comes down to how good of a chip you get.  This is referred to as the silicon lottery. You will need aftermarket cooling in order to overclock.  A Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is an excellent cooler for only $30.  You should also consider buying an SSD, they are amazing.  You only need 120GB($50).

Overclocking results, unless going for world records will be the same on a "low end" Z97 motherboard as a "high end" Z97 motherboard.  It all comes down to how good of a chip you get.  This is referred to as the silicon lottery. You will need aftermarket cooling in order to overclock.  A Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is an excellent cooler for only $30.  You should also consider buying an SSD, they are amazing.  You only need 120GB($50).

bro one last thing since i am playing only at 180p at 60fps should i get 4690K or 4690

Not all games will utilise DirectX 12 right away since it will depend on how early in the game's development it was implemented. And keep in mind in terms of CPU performance the main thing DirectX 12 is doing is making draw calls multi-threaded. This will certainly help the FX CPUs, but these are not the only thing that bog down CPU performance. Many other types of calculations cannot be multi-threaded such as AI or physics. Will depend on the specific engine/game.

All information right now suggests that DirectX 12 will substantially reduce the gap between the FX-8350 and 4690K, but there is no reason to think that it will make the FX-8350 better. Overall potential multi-threaded performance remains very close, and the multi-threaded draw calls will help the 4690K as much as it does the FX-8350.

Basically an application needs to use all eight threads for the FX-8350 to match the i5-4690K. An application using eight threads doesn't suddenly make the FX-8350 demolish an i5. Some extremely well scaling applications will have a slight edge on an FX-8350, though I do not expect gaming to be one of them since many other things will remain bound to a single core/thread.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

We have all seen the graphs you have been posted but the difference in most cases is less than 10fps to the 4690k

Problem is, people look at graphs and see 5-10fps difference and think that's not too bad...

If only EVERYgraph had MIN-FPS values included.... thats the most important factor of the game being smooth and fluid. (What the game drops down to in heavy load)

FX CPU's have HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE MINFPS in so many titles it isn't funny anymore. This is the value people should be looking at.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Possibly, but also at the same time, probably not

Yeah, still waiting....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Problem is, people look at graphs and see 5-10fps difference and think that's not too bad...

If only EVERY SINGLE ONE had MIN-FPS values included.... thats the most important factor of the game being smooth and fluid. (What the game drops down to in heavy load)

FX CPU's have HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE MINFPS in so many titles it isn't funny anymore. This is the value you should be looking at.

Frametime variance would be the most noteworthy. FX CPUs are more likely to produce stutter. Recorded FPS won't change much, but there will be a lot higher >90th percentile frame latencies on the FX CPU.

Average framerates are generally not too bad, and minimum framerates can even still be decent since usually when things do bog down the CPU it doesn't persist the whole second. You can have plenty of frames delayed (high latency) but still have overall an ok number of frames that second.

IMO 90th percentile frame latency is probably the most important figure since it's gonna be the observable stutter and framedrops.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

bro one last thing since i am playing only at 180p at 60fps should i get 4690K or 4690

It honestly depends on your budget. With the 4690k you can just leave it at stock clocks for now and when it starts becoming a bit slow in newer programs you can then start overclocking. The 4690 will do the job but it won't 'last' as long as the 4690K.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Will fx 8350 be equal to i5 4690K in gaming(DX12) and multitasking

No, next!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

No, next!

^He should know, he used to use an AMD FX 8***.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

^He should know, he used to use an AMD FX 8***.

i'll just quote faceman here, he resumed the situation very well in his first post:

-This will only be for games coded for DX12, which we wont see for many years, and it won't fix games that aren't coded for DX12.

-There are many games, and many features/settings in games that are still going to rely on strong single core performance, which DX12 isn't going to fix.

-Not to mention, the price difference of an FX and locked i5 build is non-existent, so you should be going with an i5.

That's all there is to say, it will not magically fix everything, a game is still a game there will always be CPU limitations with a chip that has the single-threaded performance of an 8+ years old CPU.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR