Edmonton, Alberta to be first Candian Gigabit scociety thanks to $1B Investment

XTankSlayerX

“Our gigabit-enabled network will deliver speeds of 150 megabits per second right to the doors of more than 300,000 homes and businesses as well as medical, educational and community facilities to dramatically improve the way we live, work and socialize in a digital world,” Entwistle said. Telus currently markets Internet download speeds of 15 to 100 megabits per second.

“Our fibre network will future-proof Edmonton’s growing digital demands for decades to come.”

telecommuting capacity and virtual, interactive field trips.

“In the case of the resource sector, we will have the capability to provide remote camps with (Internet Protocol) TV and high-speed Internet. These services will improve the workers’ quality of life and, importantly, help them stay connected with their loved ones.”

Source: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business/billion+fibre+optic+investment+will+make+Edmonton+Canada/11151467/story.html

This is really awesome. It may not be much but making the minimum 150Mbit would still be a big step up from what we have right now.

Looks like I'm going to move to Edmonton...

My fairly small regional area is all getting telus fibre in the coming months, its a heck of an investment for an area were only about 50 000 people live. But the makes is going to 100Mb/s

Its really cool that Telus is not only dumping money into large cities but also smaller communities. 

And then there SHAW:  "Lets just raise our rates some more" 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I never liked telus so nope not going to get this.

Ya, Canadian ISPs are just as bad for fucking over customers as US ISPs. It's probably going to cost $120/month since are plans are all ready over priced.

Ya, Canadian ISPs are just as bad for fucking over customers as US ISPs. It's probably going to cost $120/month since are plans are all ready over priced.

Sometimes I think they're worse.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

we don't have usage caps... Yet

Telus does.

Our plan (55/month 15/1) has a 150GB cap. They just started charging if you go over too. My family is changing ISPs.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Telus does.

Our plan (55/month 15/1) has a 150GB cap. They just started charging if you go over too. My family is changing ISPs.

Ha this is why I hate telus, they play a game of fuck and seek, they fuck you over without you knowing it, and then they wait to see if you can find it, then they repeat.

Ha this is why I hate telus, they play a game of fuck and seek, they fuck you over without you knowing it, and then they wait to see if you can find it, then they repeat.

Which is why my family is switching ISPs. Also because me downloading vidya + all the hd streaming we do kills it. It's the 21st and we're over the cap already.

Yea Shaw has a data cap on its plans is just not enforced at all.

Telus was like that forever, it was great. Looking at switching to a company called TekSavvy. 

https://teksavvy.com/

Yea if Shaw does the same thing my family is screwed considering I use 50 to 100Gb just through my phone on WiFi.

I found TekSavvy on twitter and so far they look like the only viable option for my family. We'd be getting 25/5 unlimited data, if we payed them what we paid telus for 15/1 150gb cap.

I found TekSavvy on twitter and so far they look like the only viable option for my family. We'd be getting 25/5 unlimited data, if we payed them what we paid telus for 15/1 150gb cap.

I get 40/3 from Shaw and hopefully they are smart enough to figure out that adding a data cap is a great way to lose all your customers.

I get 40/3 from Shaw and hopefully they are smart enough to figure out that adding a data cap is a great way to lose all your customers.

Well a lot of consumers don't really know what it means. Some might even think it's needed so "everyone can have third proper speeds" or w/e.

The only people that would really leave are the power users and more technologically advanced users, such as yourself.

It's still way overpriced though, I can get 200mbps up AND down here in Mexico for the equivalent of 80 Canadian and of course no caps of any kind. In fact as soon as I'm out of fucking contract for my phone I'll be getting that

-------

Current Rig

-------

My friend had TekSavvy, the download was good but would cut out 3-4 times a week for about 15-30 mins. Also upload was crap, could not even steam at 480p to twitch.

Damnit. I really wish America would get with the times, I really DO NOT want to have to move to Canada and start buying my milk in bags, just because all the IT jobs have moved there.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Telus does.

I get 2mb down for the same price over fixed wireless. :( and it's often throttled to 80kb/s on peak times, I.e. The entire weekend. :( my parents insist it's fine and a good bargain. There is literally no emoticon for how much I hate it.

- snip-

They all have data caps here and it's not just Telus. As for Teksavvy, I had a friend who used them and he hates it. Random drop in connection and stuff like that.

Teksaavy isn't awesome, they're better though. They're a third party that pays bell/Rogers. Its still interent on Canadas unimpressive infrastructure.

WHAT HOW DO I GET THIS SO TIRED OF SHITTY APARTMENT INTERNET OH GOD 

We have some stupid telus internet/optikTV package that we get for free with our lease.  It has a 2 MB/s cap per client and then the bandwidth goes to shit and there's no way for me to edit QoS.  Not the worst internet I've ever used but it sucks having to limit Steam to 1.5 MB/s or my internet goes to shit when downloading.

Teksaavy isn't awesome, they're better though. They're a third party that pays bell/Rogers. Its still interent on Canadas unimpressive infrastructure.

Yeah, Bell owns pretty much all the infrastructure and they just rent it out to the other companies.  It's ridiculous.

That said, there's a town called Olds that just invested in their own local infrastructure and have some of the best internet on the continent for cheap for all residents.  No reason any other municipality couldn't do it and tell the companies to fuck off.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

It's still way overpriced though, I can get 200mbps up AND down here in Mexico for the equivalent of 80 Canadian and of course no caps of any kind. In fact as soon as I'm out of fucking contract for my phone I'll be getting that

Well it's less overpriced than telus.