You can now run x86 Linux apps on all Raspberry Pi models (and others!)

TopWargamer

Source 1: http://linuxgizmos.com/emulator-now-runs-x86-apps-on-all-raspberry-pi-models/

Source 2: https://liliputing.com/2015/05/exagear-desktop-lets-you-run-x86-apps-on-a-raspberry-pi-or-other-arm-based-devices.html

Source 3: http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/05/29/1715234/emulator-now-runs-x86-apps-on-all-raspberry-pi-models

(I realize that this news is a couple days old, but it's gotten no buzz so far, which is extremely unusual.)

Want to run all of those lovely x86 applications on your Raspberry Pi? Well luckily now you can, thanks to Russian company Eltech's updated product - ExaGear. ExaGear has been around since Augist of 2014, but has been recently updated to support ARMv6 and ARMv7. What this means is that the older Raspberry Models (ARMv6) and the newer Raspberry Pi 2 (ARMv7) can now run x86 applications. To make things even better, ExaGear is optimized for the Raspberry Pi 2.

So how does ExaGear work? Well, to put it simply, it's an emulator. When compared to the open source alternative QEMU, ExaGear runs 4.5 times faster, and with the new performance improvements, the software is now 5% - 10% faster, which puts ExaGear a whole 5 times faster than QEMU

Here are some performance tests. These tests were performed on the Odroid-XU (Exynos5 Octo Cortex A15 1.6GHz quad core).

Test performed using SysBench:

sysbench_02.png

Test performed using GeoBenchmark:

geobench_02.png

Test performed using nbench:

nbench_21.png

ExaGear, however, is not limited to just working on all models of the Pi. It's also compatible with the ODROID, CubieBoard, CuBox, Utilite, Jetson TK1, Wandboard, Banana Pi, and others. You can also apparently run ExaGear on an ARM-based Chromebook with Linux.

Hardware requirements

- ARMv6 instruction set with VFP32 for Raspberry Pi 1
- ARMv7 instruction set with VFP32 for other ARM devices
- for x86 applications that use MMX/SSE support of NEON is also required

Software requirements

- Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 14.04, Debian 7, Raspbian
- additionally binfmt_misc kernel module is required

Important note: Eltechs ExaGear Desktop allows you to run user space 32-bit Linux x86 applications. Current version does not support applications that require kernel modules. There is no 3D hardware support for x86 applications.

Eltech's ExaGear can purchased for the prices for $9.95 for the Raspberry Pi, $14.95 for the Raspbeery Pi 2, and $19.95 for ARMv7 deviceshttp://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/exagear-desktop-features-and-prices/

COMIC SANS

Ah, that's badass. Now I know what to do with the Pi.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Ah, that's badass. Now I know what to do with the Pi.

I know right! This just makes me want to buy a Pi even more now. And for only $15 for the Raspberry Pi 2 version of ExaGear, well, I think it's well worth it to get that extra functionality.

COMIC SANS

STEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAMMMM BOX

Maybe not for playing games natively, but for game streaming that could work very well... But then again would the Pi 2 be powerful enough for Steam IHS?

COMIC SANS

I know right! This just makes me want to buy a Pi even more now. And for only $15 for the Raspberry Pi 2 version of ExaGear, well, I think it's well worth it to get that extra functionality.

$15 is a steal to make a Pi more useful for the average person. Now to find a Ubuntu image for it.

I kind of want to get the Suptronics X300 for it. It would fix my issues with it's on-board audio (it's really not that great) and give me a SATA port, WiFi, additional USB ports and some other stuff.

x300_860p2.JPG

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

• 5 months later...

New version of ExaGear Desktop is available.

New features:

• Integration of host ARM and guest x86 systems was enhanced. Now shortcut of installed x86 app is automatically placed on Desktop/Start-Menu and you can run it directly from Desktop/Start-Menu just by clicking on it as the same way as native ARM app.

• New Raspbian released Sep 24 based on Debian 8 "Jessie" is supported.

• Support for Ubuntu 15.04 and Debian 8 was added. Corresponding guest images is also available.

• Performance enhancement. Google Chrome launch was speeded up twice!

Fifteen bucks, awesome I was planning on building a system out of spare parts to learn linux.
This seems much easier lol

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

Doesn't anyone else think that using a paid, closed source product for this defeats the purpose of the raspberry pi in the first place? Besides you can get an x86 platform for under 100$ if that's what you want.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*