Unsure about my psu, questions

yoshiii
Go to solution Solved by Speaker1264,

I dont remember smell or pop, I do remember hitting the on button when I put the original psu back in and no spin up of fans or anything.  Just a yellow flashing light on the power button.  Switched the Scythe back in and nothing.

Just want to be careful, I would rather buy a new psu than take a chance if this psu has the potencial of being bad.

With that,  since this psu is about 5 years old, how much longer do you think it will last? When I did the test, the 12v reading for the mb in speed fan read 12v 12.096 for minimal and 12v 12.192 for max.

If the power supply has lasted 5 years then there is most likely no reason to think that it would hurt your hardware.  You are way past the point of a catastrophic failure occurring.  If it dies now it will be because of age, not because of a catastrophic failure.  When a PSU dies from age all that happens is your computer turns off.  There is no chance of it taking out any hardware with it.  Personally I would hold onto it until it does die, since buying a new supply is probably more risky because you don't know what you'll get.  At least you know the one that you have right now works, and who knows it could last another 5 years.

Hello

Before I asked if my almost 5 year old Scythe Kamariki 4 80plus(no medal color rating), 750 watt, 12v rail with 20A x 4(on for rails) was still good to use in my new system.

I installed it into the new system.

I mentioned that by using speed fan and Furmark to stress  the system while checking voltages, the voltage numbers seemed fine in the new system.

But now I am wondering if my psu is good or not.

I took the psu out of a old Dell XPS 420 with a overclocked q6600 cpu.

When I took the psu out of the computer to move to my new build and replaced the original psu that the computer came with(which was still in working order) the old computer wouldnt not start.

It would have  power that was coming from the wall but it was not getting to all of the componets so nothing would come on, fans, etc.

I tried it with the Scythe psu that I had just taken out of the computer.  Nothing.

Did a test with ram, etc. Everything seemed fine except for no complete power to the computer.  So I dont know if it is the motherboard or not.

Now I put the  psu in the new computer build I have with a i7 4790k and everything seems to be working fine.

Could my  Scythe psu have killed the other computer?

Should I go ahead and buy a new psu to be sure?  Or should I use the one I have now until it shows problems?

Did you make sure that everything was plugged in properly on the Dell?

"Rawr XD"

First, you would know the PSU was bad.  If when you turned on the dell and you heard a pop, then yeah that means something shorted.  Or if you hit the button, it turned on, and then later shut off, and did not turn back on after that then yeah it could have been the power supply giving out too much juice, and burned something up, you would most likely smell burning if this happened.  But if you put the power supply in, and nothing at all happened then that has nothing to do with the power supply.  You should have seen something happen when you tried to turn it on.  And if the PSU killed your dell instantly, then most likely it would have done the same to your new computer, so I really doubt there is anything wrong with the power supply.

First, you would know the PSU was bad.  If when you turned on the dell and you heard a pop, then yeah that means something shorted.  Or if you hit the button, it turned on, and then later shut off, and did not turn back on after that then yeah it could have been the power supply giving out too much juice, and burned something up, you would most likely smell burning if this happened.  But if you put the power supply in, and nothing at all happened then that has nothing to do with the power supply.  You should have seen something happen when you tried to turn it on.  And if the PSU killed your dell instantly, then most likely it would have done the same to your new computer, so I really doubt there is anything wrong with the power supply.

I dont remember smell or pop, I do remember hitting the on button when I put the original psu back in and no spin up of fans or anything.  Just a yellow flashing light on the power button.  Switched the Scythe back in and nothing.

Just want to be careful, I would rather buy a new psu than take a chance if this psu has the potencial of being bad.

With that,  since this psu is about 5 years old, how much longer do you think it will last? When I did the test, the 12v reading for the mb in speed fan read 12v 12.096 for minimal and 12v 12.192 for max.

If the power supply has lasted 5 years then there is most likely no reason to think that it would hurt your hardware.  You are way past the point of a catastrophic failure occurring.  If it dies now it will be because of age, not because of a catastrophic failure.  When a PSU dies from age all that happens is your computer turns off.  There is no chance of it taking out any hardware with it.  Personally I would hold onto it until it does die, since buying a new supply is probably more risky because you don't know what you'll get.  At least you know the one that you have right now works, and who knows it could last another 5 years.

One more question,

If I leave my computer on for about 5-10 mins without moving the mouse or anything, it automatically shuts down the fans and puts the computer into sleep mode.

Since this psu was bought way before Haswell came out, it is not Haswell certified, so I am worried about the C6 and C7 sleep states.   

I have not set up any sleep mode for the computer so dont know why its doing this.

I am using Windows 8.   It did not do this on the Dell pc. My Dell would go into sleep mode after about 30 mins to an hour.

One more question,

If I leave my computer on for about 5-10 mins without moving the mouse or anything, it automatically shuts down the fans and puts the computer into sleep mode.

Since this psu was bought way before Haswell came out, it is not Haswell certified, so I am worried about the C6 and C7 sleep states.   

I have not set up any sleep mode for the computer so dont know why its doing this.

I am using Windows 8.   It did not do this on the Dell pc. My Dell would go into sleep mode after about 30 mins to an hour.

You may not have set up sleep mode, but that doesn't mean windows 8 doesn't have it enabled by default.  Right click the windows icon in the taskbar, click power options, click Change plan settings next to the currently enabled plan, and set Turn off the display, and Put the computer to sleep to Never.

• 2 weeks later...