"Clean Build" by Viepert

Viepert

Can't wait to see the end, probably won't even look like you connected the pieces 

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Ok, this is weird. I've tried the htpc ram in my gamerig.... works fine.

Then i tried the gamerig ram in the htpc motherboard..... works fine

All dimm slots works fine when i'm using the gamerig ram but with the other ram.....

Difference is one is 8Gb ddr3-1600 and the other is 4Gb ddr3-1333.

Why would it not accept 1333 ram on those slots?

Looks like i have to get some new ram.

Ps bios update did nothing, still doesnt work.

Small update...

Almost finised with the mesh panel. Still have to take the burrs of and jigsaw it to size.
But one question, with all the drilling and centre punshing it worped a bit.
How do i straiten it out again? Put it between to pieces of wood and clamp it for a couple of days.
Or put some mild heat to it?
Anybody any ideas?

26_zps0fd45e45.jpg

Update....

well, after about a hour i got back to the tech guy's. And they tried what they could. But it still wasnt straight enough.
Sow, i decided that it was ok to spend a little bit more on this case.
Got myself a sheet of perforrated alu. Only had to make it fit inside the case and i was done in about 1 hour  :clap:
I also orderd some Kingston ram that i can pickup tommorow. Then we will see if that will work with the motherboard.

Just a couple of pics, how the mesh turned out.
Still thinking about if i should drill out the squares. But i'm worried i'll bend it to much again.
Have to wait and see.

27_zps420feb0b.jpg

28_zpsf009edc8.jpg

29_zpscd653b69.jpg

30_zps7e8d46db.jpg

Still thinking about if i should drill out the squares. But i'm worried i'll bend it to much again.

I think it looks pretty good as is, and as you say, it might bend again. But I'm all for

risky experiments, so don't let me deter you. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I think it looks pretty good as is, and as you say, it might bend again. But I'm all for

risky experiments, so don't let me deter you. :D

The piece i bought was 1000x500, so i can make another one if need be.

Try that tommorow then ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Next Update....

made the perforated piece again, just now i made i a bit longer and bended it to the front.

Seems to be nicer with the sidepanel on.

31_zps6d1c1e91.jpg

32_zpsb89caad1.jpg

Also made a start on the motherboard. Finished the soldering for the 24pin and 8pin EPS. Now only the on/off and reset remain.

The holes that go in the motherboard arn't cut yet. First gonna try the motherboard. IF it still works, the holes are next on the list.

33_zpse89f3737.jpg

34_zps44634ce7.jpg

35_zpse8d684d0.jpg

36_zps095d566f.jpg

YES i know, the glue looks bad. But with my soldering skills it's neccessary to have some extra insurance ;)

Next up...

making the holes for the motherboard tray and doing some small stuff before i can sandblast it.

CU next time

my god that 24+4 pin idea is AWSOME 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

I guess that's one way to have good cable management :lol: I'm surprised I haven't seen this before.

I saw it once before in a build a few years back. It is a rather neat idea IMO. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I saw it once before in a build a few years back. It is a rather neat idea IMO. :D

it's so cool. makes me wonder about possible improvements to current design of mobo

| Fractal Define Mini | Z77M-D3H | i5 3570k @ 4.3 ghz | EVGA GTX 780 SC w/ ACX | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB |
| Asus Xonar DGX | Seasonic G-650W Gold | 256GB SS 840 Pro | 500GB WD Black | 1TB Barracuda |

it's so cool. makes me wonder about possible improvements to current design of mobo

Makes me think how much cleaner all builds would be if all connectors are located on the back of the mobo and cases had cable management holes right behind them. Impossible, I know, but still interesting.

First time i see sth like this !

It's a great idea !

“Strength does not come from winning. your struggles develop your strengths. 

When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength” 

Case: Corsair Obsidian 400R , CPU : Intel Core i7-3770K , Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance , Cpu Cooler : CoolerMaster Seidon 120M , RAM : Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB , Hard Drive : Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB , Monitor : Dell UltraSharp U2312HM , GPU : ASUS GTX 670 DIRECT CU II

It worked before on a different motherboard, but the case i worked with then was crap.

Sow I tried it again with this case and because i had a 1155 socket lying around i got the parts to go with it, cpu/ram etc.

The holes are being cut as we speak but i also orderd 120feet of paracord for my main gamerig.

Sow i'll have to devide my time between this mod and sleeving my psu.

Never seen that done before!

Looking forwards to seeing the updates!

Steady hand needed to do that soldering, it'll look like its not plugged in which will look trick!

Hopefully the RAM issue gets sorted in a way so that you don't have to re solder everything

Soldering the connectors was an awesome idea! The build is looking fantastic, can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve :-D

CPU: i5 4670K, Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB, GPU: Asus 280X, Case: Fractal Design XLR2, SSD: 840 evo 120GB, HDD: 2x 1TB Seagate, PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo

Soldering the connectors was an awesome idea! The build is looking fantastic, can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve :-D

The sleeving is for my main game rig, maybe i'll post pics of that in the main build logs.

The sleeving is for my main game rig, maybe i'll post pics of that in the main build logs.

lol didn't mean it like that, meant it as in the saying . I can se how it would be confusing though  :)

EDIT: better explanation of what I ment

CPU: i5 4670K, Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB, GPU: Asus 280X, Case: Fractal Design XLR2, SSD: 840 evo 120GB, HDD: 2x 1TB Seagate, PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo

lol didn't mean it like that, meant it as in the saying . I can se how it would be confusing though  :)

EDIT: better explanation of what I ment

Ooooooow, i see, had a couple of beers last night sow that escaped me  :D

Sooooow,

it still works. Still have to do the on/off & reset. But just wanted to try it out.

However, now when i see the whole board together i don't like the ram.

It's more purple then blue. Not like the Corsair one's. Sow i think i'll put the ram for sale and when it sells the

Corsair's will go in.

Here's the pics to proof it.

37_zps75f129c7.jpg

38_zps3a566855.jpg

Next few days will be working on the holes in the mobo tray.

And trying to figure out how the Chieftec hdd bays pull apart.

The painting of the case isn't rocket sience but the bays will be painted too and thats a pain in the a*s.

CU next time.

• 1 month later...

Sooow, i'm back from holiday. It was a rainy holiday but i caught some nice fish :)

Before i went on holiday my dremel died. It worked great for 3+ years on multiple casemods.

It did a great job.

In the next couple of days i'm getting the new Dremel to finish up the holes.
In the mean while i'm thinking about the cpu cooling solution i'm gonna do.
In my main rig i have a H100. I really want to put that one in.
Then in the main rig will go a H110.

Now for the H100.
I don't like the big wire hanging of it and the 4pin molex that powers it.
It also has a single lead for monitering the pump speed.
Is there a way to solder a simpel 3pin fanheader on it.
Witch wires should i put where on the 3pin.
3pin fanheaders also use 12V so it should run the pump just fine.

Any ideas??

Now,
for the most part IT'S DONE. Finnally i got the holes done. Although there is still some work too it.
I really thoought i marked the 8pin hole the right way. But sadly it's a bit to big.
Nothing a little metal epoxi won't cure.

Here's the pics

39_zps0751cb90.jpg

42_zps4d88e4ba.jpg

The little bit that was too big :(

41_zps531266f1.jpg

Also made the 240 fan holes in the top. still need to make it pretty tho.

40_zps4ce44bda.jpg

Lastly the pics of the sidepanel on, giving you a idea what the end result will be.

43_zpscdb32461.jpg

44_zpsf1ecaa09.jpg

Now, i do need some info.
My mobo has 8 sata ports but my setup requires 9.
SSD, Bluray and 2 Chieftec hhd bays with 3/4 drives.
I could go for a raid card. But that would mean more holes and more sata wires in the case.
I think i'm just gonna ditch the hdd bays and go for max 6 storage drives.
What do you guy's think.