Home Server Help (I'm a noob lol)

Decon
Go to solution Solved by Ralms,

Because the home network is in another another room on another floor and the house isn't wired for ethernet and probably won't ever be.

1. I have nothing ATM for all intents and purposes

2. IDK ~5 max?  Maximum of two servers and 4 users but probably only one server

2. None need to be connected to the internet while using the server.  For all intents and purposes assuming I have no internet and never intend on getting any or connecting any of the computers to the internet.

Just get a 8 port switch and connect them all. 

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG108E-8-Port-Gigabit-Switch/dp/B00K4DS5KU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432845185&sr=8-1&keywords=tp-link+TL-SG108E

Its cheap and does the work. 

You might need to either setup a DHCP server on the server or assign all the IPs to the machines manually. 

If multiple people are gonna access the server at the same time and you need more speed than 100MB/s (gigabit connection), you can get a dual nic and team them so you have 2Gbits of connection. I know that they switch supports Link Aggregation, I just dont know if it works 100% to double the bandwidth. I havent got to Link Aggregation stuff on my house yet :D

Hope it helps.

I want to build an "offline" (not connected to internet) fileserver that I can use to share files over ethernet between my collection of computers (preferably without having to install additional software on client devices).  What do I need?  Also my computers are in a different room than the home wireless AP/outbound networking gear; any chance I can be connected to the home wifi as well as my fileserver?

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

If you need things on the same network, you can very easily make a wireless bridge using two otherwise useless consumer grade routers. You flash a custom firmware on one that lets it connect to a central wireless point and the ethernet ports become common to the central wireless point.

If you need things on the same network, you can very easily make a wireless bridge using two otherwise useless consumer grade routers. You flash a custom firmware on one that lets it connect to a central wireless point and the ethernet ports become common to the central wireless point.

All I need is an independent file server that I can use to grab files from;  don't need anything else.  Essentially I need a thumb drive  that can stay connected to multiple computers at once at facilitate two way file transfers.

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

All I need is an independent file server that I can use to grab files from;  don't need anything else.  Essentially I need a thumb drive  that can stay connected to multiple computers at once at facilitate two way file transfers.

I know our delmangemation server (amalgemation of like every pc vendor's parts) does exactly what you want, but it is connected to the internet. I think it just has its HDD shared to anyone on the network with read/write rights

I know our delmangemation server (amalgemation of like every pc vendor's parts) does exactly what you want, but it is connected to the internet. I think it just has its HDD shared to anyone on the network with read/write rights

so what do I need?  Switch? Router?

if you are using linux clients anything from ftp/samba/nfs will work as file server

if windows, samba & ftp works

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

if you are using linux clients anything from ftp/samba/nfs will work as file server

if windows, samba & ftp works

I'm talking hardware...

so what do I need?  Switch? Router?

I seriously cant figure out how we did it. Its a windows pc on the same network, with its hdd shared to everyyone. I just couldnt figure out how to get my friggin pc to do the same. But when you look under window's network tab on the file explorer, you can see all the other computers on the network. If the computer has a drive shared, you can just put files on it from there. Like I said, I dont know we did it. Google searches just say to use freenas.

I seriously cant figure out how we did it. Its a windows pc on the same network, with its hdd shared to everyyone. I just couldnt figure out how to get my friggin pc to do the same. But when you look under window's network tab on the file explorer, you can see all the other computers on the network. If the computer has a drive shared, you can just put files on it from there. Like I said, I dont know we did it. Google searches just say to use freenas.

I will be using freenas on a dedicated system connected to networking hardware over ethernet.  Any idea what hardware I'll need to link multiple computers to that dedicated file server?

Ethernet switch and appropriate Cat5e or Cat6 cables. All the computers obviously will need Network Cards. 

Instead of building a server, look at NAS options out there -- HDD enclosures you can plug up into a network. Some can even operate over WiFi as well. WD makes a few available -- some with and without drives. And there are others out there. Not worth it building an entire server for this.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

I want to build an "offline" (not connected to internet) fileserver that I can use to share files over ethernet between my collection of computers (preferably without having to install additional software on client devices). What do I need? Also my computers are in a different room than the home wireless AP/outbound networking gear; any chance I can be connected to the home wifi as well as my fileserver?

Why would the file server need to be "offline"? The way I understand it, you would have to have 2 networks then try to bridge them, yet that would just be a complicated mess.

Why would the file server need to be "offline"? The way I understand it, you would have to have 2 networks then try to bridge them, yet that would just be a complicated mess.

No no and no

I have NOTHING right now; I need the hardware to connect all my computers to a file server over ethernet...

What do I need to get a ton of PC's connected to a dedicated file server computer

All you "need" is a NAS, a switch, and ethernet cables.

By NAS you mean the computer I will be using to run the file server?  This network also needs to facilitate host a LAN server on the same computer

No. I mean a NAS. You said you wanted to share files. A NAS device is a very basic computer that stores files that computers attached to the network can access. You don't really even need that. You can just share files directly from your computer if you wanted to. What do you mean by "LAN server"? You do not need a server to have a network of computers.

No. I mean a NAS. You said you wanted to share files. A NAS device is a very basic computer that stores files that computers attached to the network can access. You don't really even need that. You can just share files directly from your computer if you wanted to. What do you mean by "LAN server"? You do not need a server to have a network of computers.

yes I am more than aware of that.  I need a network that I can attach a file server to that I can also use as a LAN game server.  It needs to be multi-purpose; just because I'm running FreeNAS doesn't mean I want to use a pre-built has...

yes I am more than aware of that. I need a network that I can attach a file server to that I can also use as a LAN game server. It needs to be multi-purpose; just because I'm running FreeNAS doesn't mean I want to use a pre-built has...

Perhaps you should be more specific about what you are trying to accomplish.

You are not going to run a game server and a FreeNAS box on the same hardware at the same time. And trying to switch back and forth is not a good idea.

Perhaps you should be more specific about what you are trying to accomplish.

You are not going to run a game server and a FreeNAS box on the same hardware at the same time. And trying to switch back and forth is not a good idea.

not a the same time duh

I'll be running two boot drives; one for the file server with access to my storage drives and the other just to run the sever

A wireless router will do just fine. Just use wires where you can... like on your server. If other machines are too far to get an ethernet cable, use the wifi. 

To block the internet on the file server, there's multiple way to do this. One would be to set a proxy to 127.0.0.1 so it would connect anywhere. Or you could use the router interface to block all wan traffic to that machine... 

You are making a relatively simple thing overly complicated.

Since you failed to mention a game server, I think it would be wise to step back and write down all the games you will be hosting. Research what platform the server software will be. I.E. Linux or windows. Once you've established the server software, your build will start there. Then consider your budget and ask again in a more thorough way.

Since you failed to mention a game server, I think it would be wise to step back and write down all the games you will be hosting. Research what platform the server software will be. I.E. Linux or windows. Once you've established the server software, your build will start there. Then consider your budget and ask again in a more thorough way.

God how simple can I make it...  I've run servers before, but on already configured network infrastructures... What's the least amount of networking hardware I need to connect a my server(s) to computers over ethernet?

I want to build an "offline" (not connected to internet) fileserver that I can use to share files over ethernet between my collection of computers (preferably without having to install additional software on client devices).  What do I need?  Also my computers are in a different room than the home wireless AP/outbound networking gear; any chance I can be connected to the home wifi as well as my fileserver?

Hi there,

I noticed you said you would be using FreeNas. Unless you are using a raid array there i no point on using FreeNas. On top of that FreeNas works best on server hardware with ECC memory due to the way it works. 

In my home Im using a old computer as a server running Windows Server 2012 R2 where I have multiple HDDs and the way I make it available to other PCs is the same way as big companies do it, using smb windows shares and setting the permissions (normal share option in windows). This requires you to assign users to everyone (if you want to define personal folders, etc) or set it to everyone. Than on the PCs I just map network drives with the paths of the shares, enter credentials, put to reconnect on logon and everything works great.

About network that is basic networking, if you want it to be super safe you would do like a seperate Vlan for internal storage or something crazy like that, other than that I would just do a normal Gigabit network and set the server firewall to block everything other than Ethernet shares. I wouldnt recommend using a lot of wifi since it wont be fast, cable is always much faster. 

Hope it helps.

Hi there,

I noticed you said you would be using FreeNas. Unless you are using a raid array there i no point on using FreeNas. On top of that FreeNas works best on server hardware with ECC memory due to the way it works. 

In my home Im using a old computer as a server running Windows Server 2012 R2 where I have multiple HDDs and the way I make it available to other PCs is the same way as big companies do it, using smb windows shares and setting the permissions (normal share option in windows). This requires you to assign users to everyone (if you want to define personal folders, etc) or set it to everyone. Than on the PCs I just map network drives with the paths of the shares, enter credentials, put to reconnect on logon and everything works great.

About network that is basic networking, if you want it to be super safe you would do like a seperate Vlan for internal storage or something crazy like that, other than that I would just do a normal Gigabit network and set the server firewall to block everything other than Ethernet shares. I wouldnt recommend using a lot of wifi since it wont be fast, cable is always much faster. 

Hope it helps.

1. I'll be running raid and maybe be using ECC ram; I am convinced that FreeNAS best suites my needs as well as existing hardware

2. This network will only be in my computer room; don't really need to worry about security

3. What hardware do I need?  I will be connecting everything over ethernet to the network/server; forget the part about wifi