Home Server Help (I'm a noob lol)

Decon
Go to solution Solved by Ralms,

Because the home network is in another another room on another floor and the house isn't wired for ethernet and probably won't ever be.

1. I have nothing ATM for all intents and purposes

2. IDK ~5 max?  Maximum of two servers and 4 users but probably only one server

2. None need to be connected to the internet while using the server.  For all intents and purposes assuming I have no internet and never intend on getting any or connecting any of the computers to the internet.

Just get a 8 port switch and connect them all. 

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG108E-8-Port-Gigabit-Switch/dp/B00K4DS5KU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432845185&sr=8-1&keywords=tp-link+TL-SG108E

Its cheap and does the work. 

You might need to either setup a DHCP server on the server or assign all the IPs to the machines manually. 

If multiple people are gonna access the server at the same time and you need more speed than 100MB/s (gigabit connection), you can get a dual nic and team them so you have 2Gbits of connection. I know that they switch supports Link Aggregation, I just dont know if it works 100% to double the bandwidth. I havent got to Link Aggregation stuff on my house yet :D

Hope it helps.

2. This network will only be in my computer room; don't really need to worry about security

If you dont want to worry about security, why not have it connected to the normal network than, even if it has internet? 

It seems a simple solution. 

3. What hardware do I need?  I will be connecting everything over ethernet to the network/server; forget the part about wifi

The hardware you need depends on what your setup is atm, you havent gave many details about it so far.

What network you have at this moment?

How many PCs will be connected to the server?

How are those PCs connected to the internet atm?

If you dont want to worry about security, why not have it connected to the normal network than, even if it has internet? 

It seems a simple solution. 

The hardware you need depends on what your setup is atm, you havent gave many details about it so far.

What network you have at this moment?

How many PCs will be connected to the server?

How are those PCs connected to the internet atm?

Because the home network is in another another room on another floor and the house isn't wired for ethernet and probably won't ever be.

2. None need to be connected to the internet while using the server.  For all intents and purposes assuming I have no internet and never intend on getting any or connecting any of the computers to the internet.

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG108E-8-Port-Gigabit-Switch/dp/B00K4DS5KU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432845185&sr=8-1&keywords=tp-link+TL-SG108E

You might need to either setup a DHCP server on the server or assign all the IPs to the machines manually. 

If multiple people are gonna access the server at the same time and you need more speed than 100MB/s (gigabit connection), you can get a dual nic and team them so you have 2Gbits of connection. I know that they switch supports Link Aggregation, I just dont know if it works 100% to double the bandwidth. I havent got to Link Aggregation stuff on my house yet :D

Hope it helps.

Something like this:

Hope it helps.

just curious, what's the major difference between a router and a switch?

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

just curious, what's the major difference between a router and a switch?

If what you are calling a router is this: http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC87U/(I assume) the diference is that a normal "router" is a device with multiple capabilities being that: router(connect the local network with internet), Access point(wifi), switch(local network "bridge" kinda deal) and some software features such as DHCP server, Firewall, etc.

A switch is just a device that connects PCs or other devices connected by cable with each other and that is it. It can have some other advanced network functionality but most switches we use domestically, its connect and forget.

God how simple can I make it...  I've run servers before, but on already configured network infrastructures... What's the least amount of networking hardware I need to connect a my server(s) to computers over ethernet?

I already answered that question. You need your NAS, switch, and Ethernet cables. You chose to go off on a tangent about game servers that really wasn't relevant.

You never asked how to configure the network. Configuring the network settings on the hardware is highly dependent on what the games require.

I already answered that question. You need your NAS, switch, and Ethernet cables. You chose to go off on a tangent about game servers that really wasn't relevant.

You never asked how to configure the network. Configuring the network settings on the hardware is highly dependent on what the games require.

Games? its just a file server. But yeah he was over complicating it a fair bit.