I dont know anything about DACs

ElmaestroNegro

Hey guys

I decided on buying the A2+b's as they seem to play fine and also dont take up much space (i have a really small desk). As i finally came out the speaker jungle, i realised that i could improve audio quality marignally by adding a sound card/DAC/AMP/whatever.

You might have noticed that i dont know anything about how to run these optimally. I read that the 24-bit DAC from Audioengine (http://www.amazon.co.uk/D1-Premium-24-Bit-DAC-Black/dp/B006IPH5H2/ref=pd_sim_23_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1F55R3VA2VC9FWQF7GW0) is a great improvement, though i'd prefer not spending that much on a dac. what would be a similarly great a solution that isnt as pricey? i feel im paying alot for the brand. i primarily listen to music, yet i game and watch movies at times too.

The A2+ speakers come with DACS built into them... read the box next time.

Pretty sure it's either the D1 or D3 that they've built in.

Use the USB connection on your speakers to use the built-in DAC, instead of a jack/RCA cable from your onboard.

The A2+ speakers come with DACS built into them... read the box next time.

Pretty sure it's either the D1 or D3 that they've built in.

Use the USB connection on your speakers to use the built-in DAC, instead of a jack/RCA cable from your onboard.

I'm pretty sure they come with built in amps not dac

System Specs~~~~~

Case-Corsair Air 540                                   CPU-i7 4770k                           Ram-Corsair Vengeance 16 Gbs    PSU-Corsair RM1000

Motherboard-Asus Maximus VI Formula    Graphics-Asus Gtx 780 Ti x2     CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i               SSDs-Corsair Force GS 128/360 Gb       

Hey guys

I decided on buying the A2+b's as they seem to play fine and also dont take up much space (i have a really small desk). As i finally came out the speaker jungle, i realised that i could improve audio quality marignally by adding a sound card/DAC/AMP/whatever.

You might have noticed that i dont know anything about how to run these optimally. I read that the 24-bit DAC from Audioengine (http://www.amazon.co.uk/D1-Premium-24-Bit-DAC-Black/dp/B006IPH5H2/ref=pd_sim_23_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1F55R3VA2VC9FWQF7GW0) is a great improvement, though i'd prefer not spending that much on a dac. what would be a similarly great a solution that isnt as pricey? i feel im paying alot for the brand. i primarily listen to music, yet i game and watch movies at times too.

I recommend the d1 dac I use it it's small but the sound is very balanced if u don't believe me go over to head fi and read reviews

System Specs~~~~~

Case-Corsair Air 540                                   CPU-i7 4770k                           Ram-Corsair Vengeance 16 Gbs    PSU-Corsair RM1000

Motherboard-Asus Maximus VI Formula    Graphics-Asus Gtx 780 Ti x2     CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i               SSDs-Corsair Force GS 128/360 Gb       

They have a USB input. That means they have a dac built in. Don't worry about buying one, it would be redundant.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

1. much like building PCs, audio is about eliminating bottlenecks. and I'm not entirely sure that the A2+ warrants a $150 dac, I think something around $50-$100 would be more appropriate.

2. for cheap and cheerful dacs Fiio would be my go-to brand. the Fiio e10k goes for $60 on british amazon and I'm willing to bet you wont be able to tell the difference between that and the D1. 

3. get the speakers and listen to them first. buy a dac only if you feel that the sound is missing something. 

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

The built in dac is Burr-Brown

DAC

TI/Burr Brown PCM2704C

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/A2-plus-B-Powered-Desktop-Speakers=> tech specs tab