PCI lanes on Asus Rampage V Extreme X99

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREME/

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/surround/system-requirements (Maximum number of displays: 2-5 in Surround + 1 Accessory Display)

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Intel-SSD-750-Series-12TB-PCIe-and-25-SFF-Review-NVMe-Consumer (Intel side dont give much info)

I'm planning on doing a 4 way SLI on a 5+1 surround setup (5x 1440p monitors and 1x 4k monitor), but I would also like to use the Intel 750 2,5" SSD PCIe 3.0.

By my math so is that 16+8+8+8+4 PCI lanes, which leaves me with 4 too little PCI lanes.

Does that mean I have to drop a GPU for me to be able to use the the Intel 750?

Or can I change the something on the motherboard or bios to make it work?

@Oshino Shinobu I know you know about this :D

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Cannot do 4 way sli with nvme. The hyper express module connector is too tall and the gpu will interfere with it. 4 way sli is a total waste, 3 is the max.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

What CPU are you using?

As far as I know, most PCIE based storage solutions will use the Chipset, rather than the CPU's lanes, so it should be fine, provided you can physically fit everything in. 

EDIT: It uses PCIe 3.0 (didn't notice at first), so it can't be done with that drive. 

Cannot do 4 way sli with nvme. The hyper express module connector is too tall and the gpu will interfere with it.

A riser/Extender could solve that. 

A riser/Extender could solve that.

What riser, m.2 riser? Then it must be those floppy ribbon types.

Or them pcie risers?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

What CPU are you using?

As far as I know, most PCIE based storage solutions will use the Chipset, rather than the CPU's lanes, so it should be fine, provided you can physically fit everything in. 

NVMe uses PCIe 3.0 which is only available via the CPU. 

[spoiler=REDWING]  REDWING   | Custom Hard Line Water Cooling Loop   |   Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz   |   Asus Maximus VII Ranger   |   Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2400 2x8GB   |   2 x Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming (SLI)   |   Corsair AX860i   |   Samsung 850 Pro 512GB   |   Corsair Obsidian 750D   |   Corsair K95 RGB & M65 RGB   |   Samsung SyncMaster S27B370

Project Redwing Build Log

[spoiler=ZedNAS] 'ZedNAS' Home NAS Build   |   Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3   |   ASRock Rack E3C224D4I   |   Kingston KVR16E11/8I 2x8GB   |   Corsair HX750   |   6 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM HDD   |   Fractal Design Node 304 mITX Black   |   FreeNAS w/ PleX   |   ZFS Raid-Z2 (16TB Effective)   |

NVMe uses PCIe 3.0 which is only available via the CPU. 

So it does. In this case then, it's not possible. The top slot seems to always run in 16x. If it could run in 8x, it could be done. 

From the Rampage V Extreme Spec page. (see notes at bottom)

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREME/specifications/

2. The PCIE_X8_4 slot shares bandwidth with M.2 x 4. 
40-LANE CPU: The PCIeX8_4 slot can only be used in x4 mode or lower when used simultaneously with the M.2 connector. If x8 mode is used, the two connectors will be mutually exclusive.

The black PCIe slot cannot be used because it runs off the PCH and can only provide PCIe 2.0 bandwidth.

The M.2 slot cannot be used with 4-way SLI config because the bottom x8 PCIe Gen 3 slot shares bandwidth with the M.2 port. When the M.2 port is in use the bottom PCIe x8 slot will only provide x4 speed which is inadequate for 4 way SLI.

i.e. 3 way SLI /w NVMe  OR 4 way SLI without NVMe

[spoiler=REDWING]  REDWING   | Custom Hard Line Water Cooling Loop   |   Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz   |   Asus Maximus VII Ranger   |   Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2400 2x8GB   |   2 x Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming (SLI)   |   Corsair AX860i   |   Samsung 850 Pro 512GB   |   Corsair Obsidian 750D   |   Corsair K95 RGB & M65 RGB   |   Samsung SyncMaster S27B370

[spoiler=ZedNAS] 'ZedNAS' Home NAS Build   |   Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3   |   ASRock Rack E3C224D4I   |   Kingston KVR16E11/8I 2x8GB   |   Corsair HX750   |   6 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM HDD   |   Fractal Design Node 304 mITX Black   |   FreeNAS w/ PleX   |   ZFS Raid-Z2 (16TB Effective)   |

hard to run that much panels ...

why don't u look over asrock extreme 11

CPU : i5 4570 MB : MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate (MS-7850) RAM : Kingston 4x4 1600 GPU : Radeon HD 6670 SSD : samsung 840 PRO PSU : Corsair CX500

hard to run that much panels ...

why don't u look over asrock extreme 11

Its true that Ascrock has some good motherboard, but there dont seem to be many people who have them.

So that makes me question how much support you can get dealing with problems.

Also, there is this: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Extreme11/?cat=Storage

If thats the full list, so is it not worth it, for someone who need storage.

Would it work to use 1 PCI version and 1 M.2 SSD version?

They both uses 4 PCI lanes and the GPUs only uses 32.

It serves no purpose to do that. M.2 ssd's are not much faster than regular ssd's. If you want additional drives, just use normal 2,5 inch ssd's plugged on the sata ports

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

It serves no purpose to do that. M.2 ssd's are not much faster than regular ssd's. If you want additional drives, just use normal 2,5 inch ssd's plugged on the sata ports

The Intel 750 is as fast in M.2 setup as in PCI setup, using an adapter.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Intel-SSD-750-Series-12TB-PCIe-and-25-SFF-Review-NVMe-Consumer

The Intel 750 is as fast in M.2 setup as in PCI setup, using an adapter.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Intel-SSD-750-Series-12TB-PCIe-and-25-SFF-Review-NVMe-Consumer

The article you linked me says nothing about the speed of an m.2 ssd. All it says it that they both work on the pcie x4 slot. This means nothing since the nvme standard was made specifically for ssds and is far faster than the AHCI standard, with which most ssd's are based on was,was made for hard drives

The article you linked me says nothing about the speed of an m.2 ssd. All it says it that they both work on the pcie x4 slot. This means nothing since the nvme standard was made specifically for ssds and is far faster than the AHCI standard, with which most ssd's are based on was,was made for hard drives

They both have the same speed: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/solid-state-drives-750-series.html

1 plugs right into a PCI slot, the other uses an M.2 adapter to access the PCI slots:

150401-230518.jpg

I have been wondering if the 2011v3 cpus were going to be short on pci-e lanes 2(16x) GPU's and 2 NVMe (raid0 of course) and you are all out.

(I know no mother boards have 2 NVMe ports yet but who knows what the future holds)

They both have the same speed: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/solid-state-drives-750-series.html

1 plugs right into a PCI slot, the other uses an M.2 adapter to access the PCI slots:

-snip-

Ohh. You are talking about the two versions of the same ssd. Thats why I was confused. And of course they have the same speed. It is the same ssd simply in different form factor.

If the Hyper Express modual is too tall, so will it colide with the main card, not the last card.

-snip-

Can't remember the position of the connector on the top of my head, but still even if it's the first or last card, the max gpu you can run is 3-way SLI.  It doesn't matter it's the PCIe card or the 2.5" drive.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Can't remember the position of the connector on the top of my head, but still even if it's the first or last card, the max gpu you can run is 3-way SLI. It doesn't matter it's the PCIe card or the 2.5" drive.

Yep the first card if it is longer than 9 inches.

There is a lot of information about ASUS and NVMe on this page including information on this exact issue.

https://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/04/asus-z97-x99-motherboards-intel-750-series-nvme-ssds-all-you-need-to-know/

Yep the first card if it is longer than 9 inches.

There is a lot of information about ASUS and NVMe on this page including information on this exact issue.

https://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/04/asus-z97-x99-motherboards-intel-750-series-nvme-ssds-all-you-need-to-know/

So I guess the only way to make a long GPU and the Hyper Express modual to work, is to find something like this:

15-m.2-bracket-in-board-with-ssd.jpg

• 2 months later...

I talked with Asus tech support about the m.2 issue.  They did not reccomend the work around on the Rampage V Extreme of moving the Gpu down to another slot.  They said the first Gpu must be in number one slot.  I'm installing an NVME PCIe slot card instead of the hyper kit model. According to the user guide to have dual Sli, the first Gpu should be in number one slot and the second Gpu should be in the number four slot, ​both slots being 3.0 x 16 slots.