I have 1300$ cad (1054.97usd) should I buy gaming laptop or cheap laptop + gaming desktop

So my computer just died and right before I was about to build workstation rig for adobe cc and blender. So now I dont know what I should do I have about 130cad (1054.97usd) to spend on a new computer. So now my desicion is now between buying a gaming laptop and buying a super cheap one and building a desktop.

Also I got an offer to buy a familys member's computer that computer's specs are:

i5-3337u @1.8GHz

8gb of ram

no discrete gpu

640 gb hdd

My system intel xeon e3 1231-v3/zotac gtx 97016gb ram/256gb ssd + 2tb hdd + 3tb external hdd/EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze/roswill line m/hyper 212 evo/windows 10

Cheap laptop with gaming desktop unless you travel a fair bit.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The question is in what situation do you need a laptop? If it's just going to be for school or light work, then a cheap laptop and gaming desktop. If it would be convenience to you to have that power everywhere you go (travelling video editor) then get a gaming laptop.

"Rawr XD"

Spend 650 cad on a laptop and 650 cad on a desktop.Really simple mate

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

The question is in what situation do you need a laptop? If it's just going to be for school or light work, then a cheap laptop and gaming desktop. If it would be convenience to you to have that power everywhere you go (travelling video editor) then get a gaming laptop.

Laptop would be for school desktop would be for adobe cc and blender.

My system intel xeon e3 1231-v3/zotac gtx 97016gb ram/256gb ssd + 2tb hdd + 3tb external hdd/EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze/roswill line m/hyper 212 evo/windows 10

Laptop would be for school desktop would be for adobe cc and blender.

In that case just get a cheap laptop (something like an HP Stream 13) and put the rest towards a good desktop.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/HP-Stream-13-c077nr-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.308878300

Should leave you with $1000 which can get you a decent rendering desktop. Or if you can get that other laptop for slightly cheaper then go for it.

"Rawr XD"

Any reason why you'd want a more powerful laptop on the go?

Moved thread to New Builds and Planning.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.