Which of this 4 cards would be the best choice

JoeTheProgrammer

Which of this cards would be the best choice when I want the best performance for the price. Also is AMD mantle still being developed? That would make R9 superior but google said it was merged to something called Vulcan or something like that if I remember correctly.

MSI R9 270 GAMING 2G 167€

MSI GTX 960 2GD5 191€ (the stock cooler one)

MSI R9 280 GAMING 3G 210€

MSI GTX 960 GAMING 2G 216 €

Someone's a fan of MSI  ;) The r9 280 I would say, but that's a personal preference.

If you want my attention, quote my post or I will not see it. I ignore builds that do not use PCPartPicker.

If I have solved/answered your question, please press "mark solved" to make it easier for the rest of the community find the answer

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

The 960 Gaming 2G. Even it's the most expensive, it's the best, the quietest and coolest.

The 280 at 210€ is pointless nowadays.

Build: CPU: Intel i5 4690k OC = 4.4Ghz | GPU: Gigabyte R9 285 OC = 1100/1575MHz | MB: MSI Z97M Gaming | RAM: Corsair 8GB 2133MHz CL9 | Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Silent 14 | CaseCooltek U3 | PSU: Corsair RM550 | MonitorDell UltraSharp 2414h | Keyboard: Steelseries 6gv2 | Mouse: Corsair M95

FireStrike score = 7803. Graphic score = 9363 (record single r9 285).

280 what kind of question is this!

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

@Luke4efc, @Maslofski, @ansauri, @Sam Z Man, @Goodman2265

Thanks for the tips guys. From the other brands of R9 280 I would consider this one Sapphire Radeon R9 280 (it doesn't have that nice cooling - no gaming edition). I would still like to hear more opinions, ideally with short explanation why would you choose that.

@Luke4efc, @Maslofski, @ansauri, @Sam Z Man, @Goodman2265

Thanks for the tips guys. From the other brands of R9 280 I would consider this one Sapphire Radeon R9 280 (it doesn't have that nice cooling - no gaming edition). I would still like to hear more opinions, ideally with short explanation why would you choose that.

Throwing the word gaming on the package doesn't do crap.

Your best bet if you want a good 280 for your money try to find one with a clock speed of over 950mhz.

Here's my copy paste from another thread:

"I had bought only AMD until I got the 960 I'm using right now. The screen quality, anti-aliasing, features, anisotropic filtering (which flat out didn't work on my AMD) and everything else is so much better compared to the AMD cards I had before. I also overclocked it to 1550 really easily and I get incredible performance, I even get higher than most benchmarks show for some reason. I can play sleeping dogs on highest settings with 3K resolution (using DSR) and I get an almost constant 60 fps (50 in busy areas). On top of that it looks so much smoother than it did on my R9, nearly no jaggies while on my R9 the whole game was one big jagged line."

I really just don't recommend going for a 3 year old amd card. Also 3gb doesn't mean anything at all when it comes to midrange cards. If you run anything that uses up 3gb chances are the card is way too weak for it anyway. Other than that there is no reason to go for a 280 especially not when it is more expensive.

@Sam Z Man Yes, it doesn't. But it's not about that sticker/word but about the cooler. I heared that it is very good and quiet. Anyway that Sapphire Radeon R9 280 has frequency of 850 MHz while gaming one has 933. By the way the cheapest of them all (besides r9 270) has 1127Mhz.

@Demiqas Thanks, in my shop the R9 280 is slightly cheaper than GTX 960 right now.

@Sam Z Man Yes, it doesn't. But it's not about that sticker/word but about the cooler. I heared that it is very good and quiet. Anyway that Sapphire Radeon R9 280 has frequency of 850 MHz while gaming one has 933. By the way the cheapest of them all (besides r9 270) has 1127Mhz.

@Demiqas Thanks, in my shop the R9 280 is slightly cheaper than GTX 960 right now.

The 270 if worse than the 280 clock speed only matters if it's the exact same GPU.

I still stand by the 960 being the best choice. 

Here's my copy paste from another thread:

"I had bought only AMD until I got the 960 I'm using right now. The screen quality, anti-aliasing, features, anisotropic filtering (which flat out didn't work on my AMD) and everything else is so much better compared to the AMD cards I had before. I also overclocked it to 1550 really easily and I get incredible performance, I even get higher than most benchmarks show for some reason. I can play sleeping dogs on highest settings with 3K resolution (using DSR) and I get an almost constant 60 fps (50 in busy areas). On top of that it looks so much smoother than it did on my R9, nearly no jaggies while on my R9 the whole game was one big jagged line."

I really just don't recommend going for a 3 year old amd card. Also 3gb doesn't mean anything at all when it comes to midrange cards. If you run anything that uses up 3gb chances are the card is way too weak for it anyway. Other than that there is no reason to go for a 280 especially not when it is more expensive.

How much crack is that person on the 960 is beat by a 280 and a 280X fucks it right in the ass.

They might be right if they used to have a R7 250X.

No shit Sherlock you had a 270X.

What? That was just in response to what he said about the 270. Mate I've got this thing on 1550 mhz (which was really easy to achieve) and I'm getting practically 280x performance and I can prove it too.

Just use this as an example: 

Guy plays on 48 fps max settings yet I got 60 fps on max settings while running a gtx 960 on 3k resolution (according to the people on this website that would've use an infinite amount of more vram than the gtx 960 can take).

What? That was just in response to what he said about the 270. Mate I've got this thing on 1550 mhz (which was really easy to achieve) and I'm getting practically 280x performance and I can prove it too.

Just use this as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=166c-jwjzMA

Guy plays on 48 fps max settings yet I got 60 fps on max settings while running a gtx 960 on 3k resolution (according to the people on this website that would've use an infinite amount of more vram than the gtx 960 can take).

Well if you overclock any thing within a inch of its life it will beat some other card at a stock clock speed that's a no brainer but have fun when it kills itself and you don't have a GPU anymore. Also the 280 is way cheaper than a 960 a 280X witch is proceed similarly is much better.

This benchmarks says that GTX 960 is slightly faster than R9 270. http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu

34% better is now just slightly  :blink:  :blink:

Build: CPU: Intel i5 4690k OC = 4.4Ghz | GPU: Gigabyte R9 285 OC = 1100/1575MHz | MB: MSI Z97M Gaming | RAM: Corsair 8GB 2133MHz CL9 | Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Silent 14 | CaseCooltek U3 | PSU: Corsair RM550 | MonitorDell UltraSharp 2414h | Keyboard: Steelseries 6gv2 | Mouse: Corsair M95

FireStrike score = 7803. Graphic score = 9363 (record single r9 285).

The GTX 960 edges out the R9 280 in most games, especially ones that don't make use of the extra 1GB of VRAM. It also doesn't produce a lot of heat, so the stock NVidia cooler is fine. That makes the GTX 960 cheaper and better performing if we stick to the exact choices you presented us with (it's rarely cheaper). I'd get the MSI GTX 960 2GD5 for 191€. I wouldn't pay extra for an aftermarket cooler considering the low TDP of the card.

Well if you overclock any thing within a inch of its life it will beat some other card at a stock clock speed that's a no brainer but have fun when it kills itself and you don't have a GPU anymore. Also the 280 is way cheaper than a 960 a 280X witch is proceed similarly is much better.

Except that I have not even overvolted it or increased its power limit, how does that even kill it off? And again I just told you I got higher fps than a 280x.

@ansauri Am I missing something or am I just too tired? 10500 vs 9700 points

@Lotus Excellent answer. I am not really looking for best performance of these cards, rather I am looking for best performance vs price ratio.