Witcher 3 & Gsync Flicker

Has anyone else noticed intense flickering with Gsycn with regards to the backgrounds/sky in Witcher 3?

Gsync has a problem with showing static images, it's mostly only seen on loading screens where an image is held without refreshing while the bar fills up but with the Witcher 3, the sky and some background images seem to have the same problem. I was wondering if it's a gsync issue or simply a problem with my hardware.

I'm running

2X 980's in SLI on a 5820k overclocked to 4.3ghz @ 4k on a Acer XB280HK, running everything on Ultra. I get fantastic FPS but the flicker forces me to turn off Gsycn off. With Gsync off it playes just fine but I get all the bullcrap one normally expects when running a non gsync monitor.

Has anyone else noticed intense flickering with Gsycn with regards to the backgrounds/sky in Witcher 3?

Gsync has a problem with showing static images, it's mostly only seen on loading screens where an image is held without refreshing while the bar fills up but with the Witcher 3, the sky and some background images seem to have the same problem. I was wondering if it's a gsync issue or simply a problem with my hardware.

I'm running

2X 980's in SLI on a 5820k overclocked to 4.3ghz @ 4k on a Acer XB280HK, running everything on Ultra. I get fantastic FPS but the flicker forces me to turn off Gsycn off. With Gsync off it playes just fine but I get all the bullcrap one normally expects when running a non gsync monitor.

Do you have MSI afterburner or the rivatuner OSD open?

It's been known to sometimes conflict with games and cause various issues.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

No the OSD from Afterburner & the EVGA tuner thing fuck with my FPS so I never use them unless I need to benchmark or finetune for better FPS.

I am running a very similar setup to you with 980 in sli and 2500k on a Acer XB280HK monitor and I get massive flickering when below 55 fps with Gsync on. When its off there is no flickering. This is the only game I have had this problem with and I hope they come out with some kind of patch to fix this problem.

I'm running

I'm just curious why do you need to Overclock your CPU , I heard its not a very CPU Intensive game . On the other hand , I've overclocked my GPU and had performance gains , running SLI 980s too. I could be wrong though.

I'm just curious why do you need to Overclock your CPU , I heard its not a very CPU Intensive game . On the other hand , I've overclocked my GPU and had performance gains , running SLI 980s too. I could be wrong though.

It's quite a demanding game CPU-wise as well actually.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

It's not really necessary to overclock your CPU,

You don't, it's not necessary.

I am using g-sync I do not getting any flickering of the sort.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

I am using g-sync I do not getting any flickering of the sort.

What resolution/settings if you don't mind me asking? I've so far got 2 others with Gsync on Reddit saying they are getting the flicker.

I wonder if it's possible that it's panel based, what make/model is your monitor?

What resolution/settings if you don't mind me asking? I've so far got 2 others with Gsync on Reddit saying they are getting the flicker.

I wonder if it's possible that it's panel based, what make/model is your monitor?

Not the same panel, I have a XB270HU. It is Acer though, it's 144Hz 1440p IPS. I played about 78 hours of The Witcher 3 so far and I did indeed look at backgrounds and the sky in all zones frequently and checked again when you posted this. No flicker so it could be a panel issue not g-sync. Maybe it's an SLI and g-sync issue? Or it could be the panel as I believe yours is TN and 60Hz?

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

It's not an SLI issue, I had noticed the flicker when I first started the game and nVidia had new drivers that day and updating drivers turns off SLI. I had forgotten to turn SLI back on after the update and the flicker was present.

EDIT: Okay, I can't say for certain it's not an SLI issue with my sample size of 1 but my evidence doesn't support it.

It's not an SLI issue, I had noticed the flicker when I first started the game and nVidia had new drivers that day and updating drivers turns off SLI. I had forgotten to turn SLI back on after the update and the flicker was present.

EDIT: Okay, I can't say for certain it's not an SLI issue with my sample size of 1 but my evidence doesn't support it.

Well, it's possible that it is a panel issue. But if it only happens in The Witcher 3 I don't see how it could be. I am not an expert on it though, I can just say that it doesn't happen on my end.

The "Gsync Flicker" is a known issue when an image is held and not refreshed. It's usually present on things like loading screens.

Sources

http://techreport.com/news/27449/g-sync-monitors-flicker-in-some-games-and-here-why

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Look-Reported-G-Sync-Display-Flickering

What I think is happening is areas where the Skybox are present are being treated like a compressed gif, it's ignoring the areas on screen where no new data is present and holding over whatever was on the frame before it. Not that I'm an expert or anything.

I'm running

Turn off motion blur , it seems to work for me.

I'm running

You are not alone. Myself and others have got the exact same issue. Have you resolved it? From what I gather online, the issue is specific to SLI, G-Synch, High refresh rate.

It's not a fix but, turning off G-sync and lowering my monitors refresh rate worked for me.

Everything on ultra 1440p

SLI 780s

Acer Xb270HU 144HZ Gsync

its probably micro stutter caused by sli. which maybe exaggerated by g sync.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb