Can't restart my computer

MorbidAngel
Go to solution Solved by Thermite,

I plugged the USB in, booted BIOS and saved the old BIOS file to the USB just in case, and then I was about to update, and it couldn't find the other file on the USB..

So I can't update because it can't find the other file.

And I am starting to think I have the latest version because in "Live update 6" it clearly says I have the latest version, which it says is "A11" somthing, but in BIOS it says v10.1B1. And when I saved the old BIOS file as a backup the filename was "E7821IIT.A11" and the file I downloaded has the name "E7821IIMS.A70" so the question is, which one is the oldest?

I'm starting to get pissed of about this problem, I hate these kind of small ass problems because I can't let it go I NEED to fix it, I can't just not restart my computer -_-

Ok, so if it is still saying that you have the most updated bios then I guess it can't be lying. I'd honestly suggest contacting gigabyte now I'm pretty sure that I can't help you further. Sorry man. I hope you figure this out.

Hey guys I have a problem, I can't restart my computer, every time I try to restart it it restarts and then the screen is black, I can hear the computer rebooting but the screen is completely, black, if I hold the power button and turn it off and then on again it works, but can't restart it from windows or from the restart button, any suggestions?

I have changed the BIOS settings back to factory and I have no idea what to do, it worked fine yesterday!

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

So you're saying that you can get to the BIOS as of right now?

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

So you're saying that you can get to the BIOS as of right now?

Yes everything works fine except that I can't use any of the restart functions. I always have to hold the power button and then press the power button again to turn it on and then it works fine.

Example: I'm done in BIOS and press "Save and reboot" and it will turn off, and reboot, but now my screen is black and my keyboard is black (LED's always turns on when the computer is booting) but I can hear the computer running, so now I have to turn of the computer by holding the power button, wait 10 sec and then press the power button again and voila it boots like it should.

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

Hey guys I have a problem, I can't restart my computer, every time I try to restart it it restarts and then the screen is black, I can hear the computer rebooting but the screen is completely, black, if I hold the power button and turn it off and then on again it works, but can't restart it from windows or from the restart button, any suggestions?

I have changed the BIOS settings back to factory and I have no idea what to do, it worked fine yesterday!

Does your power supply have enough juice for your system?

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

Yes everything works fine except that I can't use any of the restart functions. I always have to hold the power button and then press the power button again to turn it on and then it works fine.

Example: I'm done in BIOS and press "Save and reboot" and it will turn off, and reboot, but now my screen is black and my keyboard is black (LED's always turns on when the computer is booting) but I can hear the computer running, so now I have to turn of the computer by holding the power button, wait 10 sec and then press the power button again and voila it boots like it should.

Okay, I understand your issue more now. That seems like an odd problem to me. I've not heard of that issue. If your BIOS up to date?

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

I had a similar issue once too. I'd suggest updating your bios like lambert said. Try that first before worrying about your power supply.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

Thanks for your answers!

But the thing is, it worked perfectly fine yesterday? Why would this suddenly just happen completely random?

Okay, I understand your issue more now. That seems like an odd problem to me. I've not heard of that issue. If your BIOS up to date?

Had it happen to me on my asus x99 mobo. It was just that the motherboard needed a bios update because there were some issues with it from the factory. Not exactly sure why but when I updated it fixed all my problems so i'm hopping it will fix his as well.

Thanks for your answers!

But the thing is, it worked perfectly fine yesterday? Why would this suddenly just happen completely random?

No idea but updating your bios can't hurt it can only help in the long run. Also I strongly believe that computers have feelings so if you kicked your computer recently you should apologize.  :D

No idea but updating your bios can't hurt it can only help in the long run. Also I strongly believe that computers have feelings so if you kicked your computer recently you should apologize.  :D

How do I do that? Don't I need a USB/External HDD/CD for that? I don't have any of those ...

Nah I'm always nice to it ^^

Normally I wouldn't care but atm I'm messing with my overclock (problems started BEFORE I started with the clocking) and I restart pretty often so it's annoying as hell lol

How do I do that? Don't I need a USB/External HDD/CD for that? I don't have any of those ...

Nah I'm always nice to it ^^

Normally I wouldn't care but atm I'm messing with my overclock (problems started BEFORE I started with the clocking) and I restart pretty often so it's annoying as hell lol

Just download the BIOS update exe from the manufacturer's website. Make sure it's the correct MoBo model btw. You'll run it just like any installer. Make sure that that installation is NOT interrupted--you can brick your MoBo. Godspeed ^^b.

Just download the BIOS update exe from the manufacturer's website. You'll run it just like any installer. Make sure that that installation is NOT interrupted--you can brick your MoBo. Godspeed.

Well, does it need to restart when installing? Because I can't restart lol, also can someone help me find the right one? last time I updated BIOS I fucked everything up, and I DO NOT wan't to fuck my motherboard up since I have to remove all the watercooling just to change the mobo, which sucks haha!

Motherboard:

MSI Z87-S02 INET EDITION ATX

EDIT: Current BIOS version: v10.1B1

Well, does it need to restart when installing? Because I can't restart lol, also can someone help me find the right one? last time I updated BIOS I fucked everything up, and I DO NOT wan't to fuck my motherboard up since I have to remove all the watercooling just to change the mobo, which sucks haha!

Motherboard:

MSI Z87-S02 INET EDITION ATX

EDIT: Current BIOS version: v10.1B1

You should be able to do it all within the bios if you want. Most of the motherboard manufactures (i know msi does) allow you to use a usb drive. But, you can do what Hypnophobic says and do it within your os if need be. I'd do it within the bios if it were me.

You should be able to do it all within the bios if you want. Most of the motherboard manufactures (i know msi does) allow you to use a usb drive. But, you can do what Hypnophobic says and do it within your os if need be. I'd do it within the bios if it were me.

Yes but I don't have a USB, also I donwloaded Live Update 6 from MSI and it says "Bios Version A.11" there lol, downloaded some other updates as well that I didn't have up to date.

here is the link to your motherboard bios download, make sure it is the right one though.

http://eu.msi.com/support/mb/Z87S02.html#down-bios

Yes but I don't have a USB, also I donwloaded Live Update 6 from MSI and it says "Bios Version A.11" there lol, downloaded some other updates as well that I didn't have up to date.

Awesome glad we could help. Sorry didn't know you didn't have a flash drive. Let us know if this fixes your issue. And don't forget to choose a correct answer too.

here is the link to your motherboard bios download, make sure it is the right one though.

http://eu.msi.com/support/mb/Z87S02.html#down-bios

How do I know which is the right one? Also, if there are (for example) 2 newer versions can I choose the latest one or I have to update one at a time until I reach the newest one?

Awesome glad we could help. Sorry didn't know you didn't have a flash drive. Let us know if this fixes your issue. And don't forget to choose a correct answer too.

Yeah I will!

EDIT: I'll just download the latest one, wish me luck, if I don't reply soon mobo is gone.

Didn't work, but I saw now that when I "restart" it doesn't turn off, it's just the screen that goes black, and when I hold the power button and the computer turns off, my keyboard and mouse is lit up, but with 50% less brightness, maybe something is connected wrong in the mobo..

I have plugged this mobo in 100 times and never connected anything wrong but I'll take a look.

No luck ..

No luck ..

I'm not sure buddy at this point I'm kinda stumped... I'd maybe look into contacting your motherboard manufacture for further assistance. This might be a problem that can't be solved without them. But before you go, you said that installing the bios failed, or did it just not fix the issue?

I'm not sure buddy at this point I'm kinda stumped... I'd maybe look into contacting your motherboard manufacture for further assistance. This might be a problem that can't be solved without them. But before you go, you said that installing the bios failed, or did it just not fix the issue?

I've been up all night trying to solve this in so many different ways you have no idea, nothing is solving it..

And I couldn't install the BIOS since it said "You can use Live Update to install your BIOS" but in Live Update it says I have the latest BIOS, which I don't, so I need to get a USB stick today to try, but if for some reason I am downloading the wrong BIOS today, bye bye motherboard...

I've got my hands on a USB stick now, I'll make sure it's a FAT or FAT32 and then move the BIOS update to the USB and hopefully I'll get lucky and everything will work fine, because EVERYTHING works fine except that I can't restart, well my CPU temp is pretty high even though it's a watercooled system but I can live with that, it's already overclocked anyways.

I've got my hands on a USB stick now, I'll make sure it's a FAT or FAT32 and then move the BIOS update to the USB and hopefully I'll get lucky and everything will work fine, because EVERYTHING works fine except that I can't restart, well my CPU temp is pretty high even though it's a watercooled system but I can live with that, it's already overclocked anyways.

Let me know if this works, sorry that I can't be of more help.  :D

Let me know if this works, sorry that I can't be of more help.  :D

I plugged the USB in, booted BIOS and saved the old BIOS file to the USB just in case, and then I was about to update, and it couldn't find the other file on the USB..

So I can't update because it can't find the other file.

And I am starting to think I have the latest version because in "Live update 6" it clearly says I have the latest version, which it says is "A11" somthing, but in BIOS it says v10.1B1. And when I saved the old BIOS file as a backup the filename was "E7821IIT.A11" and the file I downloaded has the name "E7821IIMS.A70" so the question is, which one is the oldest?

I'm starting to get pissed of about this problem, I hate these kind of small ass problems because I can't let it go I NEED to fix it, I can't just not restart my computer -_-