Bad HDD

Iver southill

PLZ HALP.

so, my brand new computer works flawlessly , except for one thing

The hardrive (st1000dm003-9yn162) is said to have the storage capacity of a thousand gigabytes. but apparently, it doesn't.

The drive is separated into two partitions, one at 126 Gb  and the other at the incredibly high number, 1.6 Gb

126 + 1.6 = 127.6                  127.6 < 1000

Is it any easy way to restore this drive to its days of glory, without loosing ALL of the files currently stored on it?

It doesn't matter what you do, you will screw it up anyways.

-snip-

Welcome to the forums don't forget to follow your own topics,

if this HDD is brand new then I would just RMA it right now.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

But it isn't new. i already have like a 100 GB used

If it's under warranty, RMA it. If not, bad hard drives make a great way to have a little fun. You can open the drive and power it on, and do what some people do, and smash the platters while they are spinning at 7,000RPM with a hammer. Or you can kick it and drop it and throw it and run over it, the possibilities are endless.

FairladyZ | If you want to reply to me, please quote my post! Idiocity, the best money wasting PC build ever!

If it's under warranty, RMA it. If not, bad hard drives make a great way to have a little fun. You can open the drive and power it on, and do what some people do, and smash the platters while they are spinning at 7,000RPM with a hammer. Or you can kick it and drop it and throw it and run over it, the possibilities are endless.

I would like to FIX it, so that i can use it with 1 terrabyte

I would like to FIX it, so that i can use it with 1 terrabyte

Fixing hard drives is very difficult, and often involves high risks. Getting dust on the platters and underneath the head actuator can render the drive useless. If you get a new copy or use an old copy of Windows, before installing, just delete all the partitions (recovery too) and see if the total drive capacity is close to 1TB. If the capacity is low, you may have bad sectors, and these can just be platters that don't write well, or the head actuator's electromagnet's timing not being right.

FairladyZ | If you want to reply to me, please quote my post! Idiocity, the best money wasting PC build ever!

what if i saved all the files in an ISO file on my external flash drive, turned of the computer, put the hard drive into another computer, formatted it, unpacked the ISO on it, then put it back int the original computer, and turn it on, would that work?