Asus VG248QE with gtx 970?

Hey guys,

So i recently just built a new 1,600 dollar gaming rig with a msi gtx 970.

I want to purchase a nice 24in monitor under $300 dollars

I've had my eye on the Asus VG248QE which is a 144hz 1ms response time monitor.

My question is, currently being a 1440p gamer with a solid 60 to 80 fps in demanding games, will i even be able to get the full glory of a 144hz and 1ms response time monitor?

what about a 120hz monitor?

My Build:

CPU: i5 4690k OC to 3.9ghz

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO

mobo: Asus Z97-A

GPU: MSI GTX 970 

SSD: Samsung 850 evo 250gb

HDD: Seagate 1TB

PSU: Corsair CX750M

Thanks Guys, jeremy3790

on some games, yes, but most probably not.

i would get a 60hz ips monitor, or maybe a 21:9 one for the same price.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Hey guys,

So i recently just built a new 1,600 dollar gaming rig with a msi gtx 970.

I want to purchase a nice 24in monitor under $300 dollars

I've had my eye on the Asus VG248QE which is a 144hz 1ms response time monitor.

My question is, currently being a 1440p gamer with a solid 60 to 80 fps in demanding games, will i even be able to get the full glory of a 144hz and 1ms response time monitor?

what about a 120hz monitor?

My Build:

CPU: i5 4690k OC to 3.9ghz

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO

mobo: Asus Z97-A

GPU: MSI GTX 970 

SSD: Samsung 850 evo 250gb

HDD: Seagate 1TB

PSU: Corsair CX750M

Thanks Guys, jeremy3790

Its already basically proven that most gamers (unless professionals ones) cant really tell the differece between 120HZ (or more) and a 60HZ one. You are better off running 2 cheaper screens to maximize productivity.

Its already basically proven that most gamers (unless professionals ones) cant really tell the differece between 120HZ (or more) and a 60HZ one. You are better off running 2 cheaper screens to maximize productivity.

no offense but thats because you have probably never used a 144hz monitor before. there really is a difference. my friend has a 144hz 2k monitor (from asus i think) and it is noticeably better than my brand new acer h236hl which is at 60hz. but i do strongly agree that 2 60hz monitors would be a much more productive setup. 

Go 1440 1080 sucks

Except then he will be spending at least twice as much money and probably have to add another video card in SLI within a year to be able to play at reasonable fps. Also, you must not realize there isn't much difference in pixel density between a 23 inch 1080p display and a 27 inch 1440p. The main advantage is having more space to run things side by side.

This is 110% wrong. How does being a professional gamer change your eyesight?

CPU:i7 4770k, Motherboard:ASUS Z79-AR, RAM:8GB HyperX Beast, GPU:EVGA GTX 970 4GB, Case:Corsair 600T, Storage:1TB Seagate Barracuda, 120GB Sandisk SSD, 256GB Sandisk SSD, PSU:Corsair TX650M, Display(s):Asus VE247H, Asus VE247N, Cooling:Corsair H60 with NF-F12, Keyboard:Razer BlackWidow, Mouse:Razer DeathAdder, Sound:Astro A40

no offense but thats because you have probably never used a 144hz monitor before. there really is a difference. my friend has a 144hz 2k monitor (from asus i think) and it is noticeably better than my brand new acer h236hl which is at 60hz. but i do strongly agree that 2 60hz monitors would be a much more productive setup. 

Well, there are many variables that change the quality of the panel. There has been blind tests by tech channels that prove that 144HZ and 60HZ has not too much difference.

This is 110% wrong. How does being a professional gamer change your eyesight?

What I meant was that professional gamers need every little advantage over their opponents, having a 144HZ panel is one. But I personally find paying extra for 144HZ panel is not a good idea.

Well, there are many variables that change the quality of the panel. There has been blind tests by tech channels that prove that 144HZ and 60HZ has not too much difference.

"There has been blind tests by tech channels "

Linus also did a blind test.

The fact is that it does not matter what "techies" say, it goes by a person to person basis on whether or not it is noticeable or how much of a difference it makes.

but i definitely would reccomend the Asus VG248QE accept it does not make a whole lot if sense to me. you could go with a decent ips 60hz 2k monitor for that price if its for casual use then the 4ms wont really matter.  If you tink you can tell 4ms from 1ms then here you go give it a shot   http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009728&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Okay so say I am going to get another gtx 970 in probably 6 months...

Will the Asus VG24QE have available settings between my gpu(gtx970) and the monitor to just use 60hz? or 120hz? or is that 144hz the monitors permanent refresh rate?

Thanks for the replies, jeremy3790

every professional gamer uses a 144hz monitor did you just make all that up lol. You probably haven't used one before theres a huge difference.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Okay so say I am going to get another gtx 970 in probably 6 months...

Will the Asus VG24QE have available settings between my gpu(gtx970) and the monitor to just use 60hz? or 120hz? or is that 144hz the monitors permanent refresh rate?

Thanks for the replies, jeremy3790

dual 970's in sli is a little overkill for 1080p don't ya think. to answer your question I do think you will get the full glory in most games at 144hz on that monitor without a doubt, however there are better solutions. you said you are a 1440p gamer? why go down to 1080? for 144hz? not the best compromise if you ask me. 

wait do you game competitively? 

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.

First of all, at this point, I would NOT recommend the Asus VG248QE unless this was the only monitor in your price range.

The Asus VG248QE is NOT flicker free and uses PWM, which some people notice and get sick/dizzy from while some others don't notice at all.

I would recommend the following monitors first.

1) Benq XL2430T (note: this is a DIFFERENT model than the older lightboost only T series from several years ago).  Use the "Vertical total 1500 tweak" as explained on blur busters' forums with this to improve image quality in MBR mode  (100 and 120hz only; 144 hz can not use VT tweaks).  PWM free! (blur reduction flickers because of a strobing backlight; 120hz shouldn't show flicker)

2) Benq XL2420Z flashed with version 4 firmware OR shipped with V4 firmware. .(do not get a V2 model unless you update FW with Ubuntu).  Use the AMA high toggle (after enabling motion blur reduction) to get the most benefit out of V4's overdrive changes, otherwise it will be the same as V2 unless you "toggle" AMA high after enabling blur reduction.  It has displayport which the XL2411Z does NOT have, so you will be future proofing yourself in case you ever get a videocard without a DVI port.  Again use VT 1500 tweak. PWM free! (blur reduction flickers because of a strobing backlight; 120hz shouldn't show flicker)

3) Benq XL2720Z ONLY with V4 firmware.  Yes it's a 27" 1080p panel.  Yes it costs more.  Yes it's worth it.

Why?

1: XL2720Z V4 has a recalibrated AMA overdrive setting which does not require an AMA high toggle to activate (like 2420z/2411z V4 does).  it's default AMA high (in blur reduction mode) is the same as XL2420Z's toggled AMA high. (note that V2 does not have this toggle. and V2's default AMA is VERY VERY bad and excessive!)

2: (what NO ONE on these forums will ever tell you):
The M240HW01 V8 panel used in the VG248QE (which you want) and the Benq 24" panels (even the older lightboost only T panels used this) all had a problem where the gamma point dropped and the colors degraded as the refresh rate increased.  Both the Asus and the Benq panels have this issue since its the exact same panel!

https://pcmonitors.i...s/benq-xl2420z/

https://pcmonitors.i...s/asus-vg248qe/

The reason why the charts differ on the review is because the Benq actually has gamma adjustments in the OSD and the Asus does NOT.

But both monitors need ICC profiles if you want decent gamma/colors as you increase refresh rate.

http://www.tftcentra...enq_xl2720z.htm

The benq's all have a built in motion blur reduction which can DRASTICALLY improve your gaming experience, while the Asus VG248QE has lightboost mode (which requires an INF workaround and custom resolutions to "Trick" the Nvidia drivers to unlock it.  And the gamma drops even MORE than at 144 hz (2.2 gamma at 60 hz becomes 1.8 gamma in Lightboost mode).

Here you can see that the XL2720Z does not suffer from ANY color degradation or gamma loss as you increase refresh rate.

This is a BIG, BIG selling point towards a 1080p 27" monitor. No one here ever tells you this.  There's a reason my XL2720Z that I own get 24/7 use while my two VG248QE's are powered off.

Thanks guys and thankyou for the recommendations Falkentyne...

Now can those monitors do 1440p resolution? And i guess my question is coming down to (not being a competitive gamer, but i do play BF4) should i just get a 60hz monitor since i am using only one gtx 970?

I mean soon ill get another and do sli, and then i can always just get a 144hz monitor then and do the whole 2 panel thing..

thanks, jeremy3790

i think im starting to realize that,

24inch = 1080p

and 

27inch = 1440p

am i right?

The Benq XL2720Z is 1080p, but 27".

I outlined in my post very clearly why I recommend it over the 24" 1080p.

But ONLY if it comes with version 4 firmware (you can flash it yourself safely but it is NOT easy to do, but only requires a USB boot drive, and a second video input source that you will be using.

The reason I do not recommend the 1440p XL2730Z is because of firmware bugs and single strobe option completely missing (OOPS).

• 4 months later...

wtf.. I can feel huge differnece between 60 and 75

Go for 144hz

Why are you bumping a 6 month old post to say "wtf I feel the difference between 60 and 75?"  did you look at the last date of the reply above you?  This is an OLD thread!