Need MAJOR help on building a $1300 PC

Go to solution Solved by REX.exe,

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tZd2NG

Black and Red scheme.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($100.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.00 @ B&H) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($239.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($239.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($139.93 @ B&H) 
Total: $1399.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-23 13:54 EDT-0400

Over by 100 but when you want to get a 4k monitor it will be playable.

what happened with going with one 980? can i go with the build you mentioned but run one 900?

what do you think about this build, a guy in my area is selling for $1200, $900 for one Video Card. Do you think its to much of a risk buying used? (since it could have virus hardware malfunction etc.) its ok that it went over a bit since the monitor was added

Intel 4690K Unlocked Quad Core Processor 

ASUS Z87-WS Quad SLI Motherboard

TWO Radeon HD 6990 4GB DUAL GPU Video Cards (that is a total of FOUR video cards) 

Corsair 1000W PSU 

16GB Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 2133 DDR3 

256GB SSD (Primary)

4TB 3.5" WD Hard Drive (Secondary)

Corsair H110 280mm All-In-One Liquid Cooler

Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case

ASUS DVD Reader / Writer 

THREE 22" Samsung LCD Monitors

Windows 10 

All boxes / product warranties come with the computer. All parts are new besides monitor/video card

for 1200 its not bad

those gpus probably get pretty damn hot tho

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

for 1200 its not bad

those gpus probably get pretty damn hot tho

oh wow see i would have never thought bout that. any way of cooling them down? Is it a steal, or are the recommendations people are already giving me a better bang for my buck

oh wow see i would have never thought bout that. any way of cooling them down? Is it a steal, or are the recommendations people are already giving me a better bang for my buck

290 crossfire is fine for now. 

Lol, way too many abbreviations for a newbie. Basically this. 

SLI is when you have two or more graphics cards in your system. This increases performance in all cases. 

The GTX 980 (Nvidia) is one of their most popular cards. And putting two of them in SLI (two way configuration) can achieve 4k no problems.

BUT, they are expensive. about $550 USD I think (I'm Aussie) so getting two won't fit your budget.

SO, instead of getting two. You should get a motherboard that has 2 PCIe slots (Graohics card slots) so that when you have a bit more money you can get another one, enabling you the ability to run games at 4k.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tZd2NG

Black and Red scheme.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Lol, way too many abbreviations for a newbie. Basically this. 

SLI is when you have two or more graphics cards in your system. This increases performance in all cases. 

The GTX 980 (Nvidia) is one of their most popular cards. And putting two of them in SLI (two way configuration) can achieve 4k no problems.

BUT, they are expensive. about $550 USD I think (I'm Aussie) so getting two won't fit your budget.

SO, instead of getting two. You should get a motherboard that has 2 PCIe slots (Graohics card slots) so that when you have a bit more money you can get another one, enabling you the ability to run games at 4k.

Lol yes a lot of abbreviations for a newbie, but they eventually explained most of em. Thanks u did a great way in havin a little description when you abbreviated some stuff.

I definitely like the case choice, wish it had a clear side panel to see inside.

Whats the difference between the GTX 980 you choose and these 3? (is it just color scheme)

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GTX-GDDR5-Graphics-Card/dp/B00NT9UT3M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1429855029&sr=1-1&keywords=gtx+980

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5-ASUS-Graphics-Cards/dp/B00O4S9NY8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1429855029&sr=1-2&keywords=gtx+980

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GTX980-Superclocked-Graphics-04G-P4-2982-KR/dp/B00NI5DA2E/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1429855029&sr=1-5&keywords=gtx+980

SNIP SNIP

So, basically the GTX 980 is a CHIPSET. The chipset is the motherboard-type thing underneath the cooler on the top which has all the GPUs (Graphics Processing Unit) on it and other things that will probably confuse you if explained.

The difference between the one I chose and the other ones are:

• Cooler
  • Base Clock(Speed of the card without boost)
  • Boost Clock (Speed of the card when boost is applied)
  • Brand (Obviously)

Some brands also add their own signature "tweak" I guess that makes their's more appealing than other brands cards.

Also, some brands optimize their cards for overclocking by making their software easier to use.

If you don't know what overclocking is watch this.

I chose that card mainly to go with the colour scheme. (MSI is known for black and red) If I was to choose a card mainly for performance I would go with the third one.

For cooling it'd be the second one. I also love Asus's software, very easy to use for newbs like yourself.

The one I chose for you is also really good for cooling and has a nice speed.

Also, the H440 (case) does have a window. 

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Im a fresh meat, and absolutely have no clue on tech terms for pc. So if you could be as detailed as possible it'd be much appreciated. I only know BASIC standard words, like basic parts like RAM, SSD, Graphics Card etc. But when you start talking about Specs. Im as lost as a 5 year old trying to figure out a trigonometry question.

So im tired of my 2008 MacBook and im tired of spending $1000+ for terrible specs from pre made computers. I've heard custom building a PC is a great option but don't know where to begin.

1. Looking to build a PC around $1300ish before taxes.

2. 1440p display

3. Trying to get a beastly PC, so please try to push this budget to its best abilities.

Monitor NOT included in the $1300 build to squeeze out HP

$10 over budget :(

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($231.99 @ NCIX US)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($100.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($55.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.00 @ B&H)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.49 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($539.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($70.98 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($19.49 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($86.89 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1310.68

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-24 04:10 EDT-0400

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Dont buy a 980 inless your going to go sli and make sure you get an ssd AND a hdd becuase if your going to get a ssd you will proably run out of space sooner or later and will need to put somethings onto the hd and ssds are much faster than hdds becuase in the hd there disk you were talking about has to record data while in the ssd its basicaly automatic making things much faster.

Dont buy a 980 inless your going to go sli and make sure you get an ssd AND a hdd becuase if your going to get a ssd you will proably run out of space sooner or later and will need to put somethings onto the hd and ssds are much faster than hdds becuase in the hd there disk you were talking about has to record data while in the ssd its basicaly automatic making things much faster.

Holy moly, I'm quite experienced with tech and even that confused me. Please, please do not comment with that sort of grammar and punctuation. That will just confuse the newbie we have here. I understand that English might not be your first language, but you need to proofread before you comment. Thank you.

Anyway, If the two people before me read the whole thread they should know that he does plan on getting another one in the future, and yes you will need a 4K monitor.

SNIP SNOOP

Nice build, nice indeed. If you really didn't want it to be over budget by $10 you could have just taken out the optical drive. 

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Do not buy the 980 unless you plan on putting it in SLI later and buying a 4K monitor!!!

Thanks! I do plan on going 4k. But in about 1.5/2 yrs, so do you think i should hold out on it due to possible price drop in the Graphics Card/Monitor?

Thanks i appreciate the feedback. Im slowly catching onto the basic abbreviations. 

Holy moly, I'm quite experienced with tech and even that confused me. Please, please do not comment with that sort of grammar and punctuation. That will just confuse the newbie we have here. I understand that English might not be your first language, but you need to proofread before you comment. Thank you.

Anyway, If the two people before me read the whole thread they should know that he does plan on getting another one in the future, and yes you will need a 4K monitor.

Nice build, nice indeed. If you really didn't want it to be over budget by $10 you could have just taken out the optical drive. 

Hahaha yes im a newbie, but you guys been slowly teaching me the terms so i pretty much understood what he meant. But yea do you also think i should hold off on buying the 980/4k monitor if i plan on going 4k in about 1.5/2yrs? due to price possibly dropping or would i be spending more if im buying a diff graphics card/non 4k monitor and selling them for a cheaper price later along to road.

Thanks! I do plan on going 4k. But in about 1.5/2 yrs, so do you think i should hold out on it due to possible price drop in the Graphics Card/Monitor?

Thanks i appreciate the feedback. Im slowly catching onto the basic abbreviations. 

Hahaha yes im a newbie, but you guys been slowly teaching me the terms so i pretty much understood what he meant. But yea do you also think i should hold off on buying the 980/4k monitor if i plan on going 4k in about 1.5/2yrs? due to price possibly dropping or would i be spending more if im buying a diff graphics card/non 4k monitor and selling them for a cheaper price later along to road.

In 1.5/2 Years there will be PLENTY of new choices in terms or resolution and graphics cards. Heck, in 1.5/2 years there will be at least ONE new series of CPUs Mobo Chipsets, Graphics Cards and all other things.

I'll just give you my 2 centz on it. If you don't plan on going 4k this year, don't go 4k. In the near future 5k, and 6k will probably be a thing. New tech comes out very quickly. Like the new AMD cards will be released soon. So, here is a build that is really good, but easily up gradable when you upgrade to 4k (or 5/6k if it's a thing)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tZd2NG(It's the on I already made for you :P)

Do keep in mind that in 1.5/2yrs there will be so many more opportunities for resolution and other things as I said above. When do you plan on buying? The new Nvidia and AMD cards will be out soon.

Anyway. When you make the transition to 4k, just simply buy another 980 and put the two in SLI. Make sure you have a 4k monitor though.

Topics to research: 

• Motherboard chipsets
  • SLI and CrossfireX
  • Motherboard Socket Types
  • Overclocking (CPU and GPU)
  • Aftermarket Cooling
  • Why Luke is such a hunk (Important)

Also I would recommend you have a look at the TechQuicke channel and watch the "As Fast As Possible" videos that sound interesting.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

In 1.5/2 Years there will be PLENTY of new choices in terms or resolution and graphics cards. Heck, in 1.5/2 years there will be at least ONE new series of CPUs Mobo Chipsets, Graphics Cards and all other things.

I'll just give you my 2 centz on it. If you don't plan on going 4k this year, don't go 4k. In the near future 5k, and 6k will probably be a thing. New tech comes out very quickly. Like the new AMD cards will be released soon. So, here is a build that is really good, but easily up gradable when you upgrade to 4k (or 5/6k if it's a thing)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tZd2NG(It's the on I already made for you :P)

Do keep in mind that in 1.5/2yrs there will be so many more opportunities for resolution and other things as I said above. When do you plan on buying? The new Nvidia and AMD cards will be out soon.

Anyway. When you make the transition to 4k, just simply buy another 980 and put the two in SLI. Make sure you have a 4k monitor though.

Topics to research: 

• Motherboard chipsets
  • SLI and CrossfireX
  • Motherboard Socket Types
  • Overclocking (CPU and GPU)
  • Aftermarket Cooling
  • Why Luke is such a hunk (Important)

Also I would recommend you have a look at the TechQuicke channel and watch the "As Fast As Possible" videos that sound interesting.

Thanks i appreciate all your guys help. Yea i plan i buying sometime this week or next week at the latest. Just wanted to learn i little more and get the best bang for my buck.

How long from now will the new nvidia/amd be out? those are the graphics cards correct and do you know if they'll be a better choice? if its anytime soon i could wait. i was just willing to buy soon because my 2008 macbook is long overdue. i'll probably do a little research on them, but just want to make sure im not researching the wrong product haha.

And should i throw in a SSD in that build you just posted?

Thanks i appreciate all your guys help. Yea i plan i buying sometime this week or next week at the latest. Just wanted to learn i little more and get the best bang for my buck.

How long from now will the new nvidia/amd be out? those are the graphics cards correct and do you know if they'll be a better choice? if its anytime soon i could wait. i was just willing to buy soon because my 2008 macbook is long overdue. i'll probably do a little research on them, but just want to make sure im not researching the wrong product haha.

Not sure about release date, they will be a better choice, but will more than likely be too expensive to fit in your budget. Not sure yet.

Just buy now, the only cards available at first will be basic cooler ones. No point in waiting. That build is the best bang for the buck. 

Happy Building young grasshopper!!! If you have any further questions please PM me! If you could find your fav answer and mark this topic as SOLVED that would be appreciated.

<3

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build: