Should I buy a Chromebook?

Ryou-kun

Right now, I am using my iPad Air with Adonit Jot Script 2 stylus to take handwritten notes in class.

I am writing a lot of decent notes at the same time being able to practice using my left hand to take notes, and it also help me retain the information when I write it except I do tend to forget it whether by paper and pencil, tablet and stylus or laptop/ultrabook/chromebook, lol.

Sadly, there are times that I hesitated to write notes thus losing the thought process whereas typing notes. I can mindlessly type notes what the teacher says.

Why not buy a bluetooth keyboard or keyboard case for my iPad Air rather spend few hundred dollars on a Chromebook? 

Well, the problem is that keyboard for iPad is pretty small and compact, and it is uncomfortable for someone who is tall and has wide shoulder to force myself to sort of narrow my shoulder to type notes.

Then again, I do like that idea just the keyboard size and limited room for a table or desk won't work.

Reason why I was thinking about buying Chromebook is because it is cheap and all I need is to take notes. I am not going to spend $500-$1000 dollar to take notes. 

For me, I am a HUGE fan of PC Tablet and ideas such as Microsoft Surface but of course the main problem is budget.

Tasks: I won't be doing any gaming or anything just pretty much take notes with Microsoft Office Word, Power Points, Excel, OneDrive, OneNote, Google Doc, Sheet, Slides and maybe EverNotes.

If possibly use Steam on Browser, use Facebook/Twitter/YouTube/Twitch/emails/surfing and any casual non-program uses.

I don't know. Anyone can shine some lights on what I should do and whether it is worth buying a Chromebook for it?

Am I heavily invested in Google ecosystem? I would say 75% of the time. I am just kind of worry about performance and apps. Not sure if there will be Android apps in Google OS.

Thank you very much.

SNIP

the ipad keyboard is a similar size to ones on the small chromebooks, in fact you can actually buy the proper apple mac bluetooth keyboard which works with the iPad

there are hundreds of keyboard options for the iPad, you can even get the USB adapter and use USB keyboards!!!

IPad_Camera_Kit_Connected_Keyboard_1_0.j

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

the ipad keyboard is a similar size to ones on the small chromebooks, in fact you can actually buy the proper apple mac bluetooth keyboard which works with the iPad

there are hundreds of keyboard options for the iPad

True. There is one that I have which is from Sharkk. The reason why I prefer this one over other hundreds of keyboard for iPad is because it is rechargeable. The hundred keyboards for iPad that you speak of requires batteries, and I dislike batteries IMO.

Of course, the Sharkk keyboard is small and the angle is low so it is hard to type on. :(

there are hundreds of keyboard options for the iPad, you can even get the USB adapter and use USB keyboards!!!

IPad_Camera_Kit_Connected_Keyboard_1_0.j

Nice, can you link where you buy it?

Nice, can you link where you buy it?

You can use almost any usb keyboard, you just need the iPad camera adapter, which you can buy from apple/amazon or whatever :D

or go into the apple shop and grab the bluetooth wirelesss keyboard, its smaller and wireless :)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You can use almost any usb keyboard, you just need the iPad camera adapter, which you can buy from apple/amazon or whatever :D

or go into the apple shop and grab the bluetooth wirelesss keyboard, its smaller and wireless :)

Then it came down to one problem and that is room.

One of my class has a desk where it is locked onto the chair (not basket under the chair), and it has an arm rest on either right or left side and the desk surface is small.

I can't have my iPad and keyboard on at a sametime. :(

Then it came down to one problem and that is room.

One of my class has a desk where it is locked onto the chair (not basket under the chair), and it has an arm rest on either right or left side and the desk surface is small.

I can't have my iPad and keyboard on at a sametime. :(

what about something like this

http://www.amazon.com/FlyStone-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Stand-Adjustable/dp/B00KG0PB4O/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1429610062&sr=8-13&keywords=ipad+notebook

I have thought about this. Then again, nothing beat an actual bluetooth full size keyboard, lol.

Like I have said on my post, keyboard case are small and keys are close together which it is kind of difficult to type.

Hmm, what are your opinions/thoughts on Chromebook or any alternative?

I have thought about this. Then again, nothing beat an actual bluetooth full size keyboard, lol.

Like I have said on my post, keyboard case are small and keys are close together which it is kind of difficult to type.

Hmm, what are your opinions/thoughts on Chromebook or any alternative?

the chromebook keyboards are just as small no?

Meh chromebooks are ok but a bit poo, what about the HP stream 13?

the chromebook keyboards are just as small no?

Meh chromebooks are ok but a bit poo, what about the HP stream 13?

Hmm, not sure about HP Stream 13.

I usually get bother by low ram. I know I won't be doing any gaming or having shitload of programs running in background.

I don't know. Low rams tend to bother me if you know what I mean. 

Although I never use HP, people tend to tell me to avoid HP for computers except Printers because well, they suck I believe.

Unless anyone with HP Stream 13 in LTT's Forum experience can say it is good and the colors are so ugly. :P

Hmm, not sure about HP Stream 13.

I usually get bother by low ram. I know I won't be doing any gaming or having shitload of programs running in background.

I don't know. Low rams tend to bother me if you know what I mean. 

Although I never use HP, people tend to tell me to avoid HP for computers except Printers because well, they suck I believe.

Unless anyone with HP Stream 13 in LTT's Forum experience can say it is good and the colors are so ugly. :P

I think there was a review, I mean the chromebooks have low ram too.. and since they are running chrome its still an issue as you cant exactly switch to a less demanding browser!

Austin Evans gave the stream 13 a great review, and for light basic tasks its fast enough, I find windows much more usable than chrome OS which has very little functionality and a stream can do everything a chromebook can do AND more

For what you want and want to spend, there is not really any other option, you will only get low specced machines at that price

You guys are acting like RAM is sooooo impoorttaannntt on a Chromebook. Unless you have thousands of tabs open, it really won't be much of an issue if you go with 2GB ram. If you can afford it though, go with a 4GB Chromebook.

At the time of release, people were really skeptical about the idea of a Chromebook, but it really can be awesome if you're someone who'll only use it for notes, documents, YouTube etc. 

I think there was a review, I mean the chromebooks have low ram too.. and since they are running chrome its still an issue as you cant exactly switch to a less demanding browser!

Austin Evans gave the stream 13 a great review, and for light basic tasks its fast enough, I find windows much more usable than chrome OS which has very little functionality and a stream can do everything a chromebook can do AND more

For what you want and want to spend, there is not really any other option, you will only get low specced machines at that price

True. Man, it is sure difficult to figure out what is a good tech device for you.

You guys are acting like RAM is sooooo impoorttaannntt on a Chromebook. Unless you have thousands of tabs open, it really won't be much of an issue if you go with 2GB ram. If you can afford it though, go with a 4GB Chromebook.

At the time of release, people were really skeptical about the idea of a Chromebook, but it really can be awesome if you're someone who'll only use it for notes, documents, YouTube etc. 

I am talking about RAM on Windows.

For Chromebook, Android, iOS, Windows RT or any mobile OS, I don't really care about the RAM because I do know they use less CPU, RAM and Storage compare to Windows unless Microsoft has already fixed it and made it more "competitive toward mobile OS." After all, it is a full OS that can run anything.

I'm not :D I just told him ram wasnt an issue haha, chromebooks and the stream style devices are great for the price!! but he already has an ipad that does the job so could just get a keyboard and be done with

True. Man, it is sure difficult to figure out what is a good tech device for you.

It really depends what you are looking for and what suits your needs, I always like to make a list of pros and cons

I'm not :D I just told him ram wasnt an issue haha, chromebooks and the stream style devices are great for the price!! but he already has an ipad that does the job so could just get a keyboard and be done with

It really depends what you are looking for and what suits your needs, I always like to make a list of pros and cons

True that. 

I guess I might do that, lol. Making list of Pros and Cons. :S

I'm not  :D I just told him ram wasnt an issue haha, chromebooks and the stream style devices are great for the price!! but he already has an ipad that does the job so could just get a keyboard and be done with

Ahaha, as mush as I want to be done with just using my iPad and getting a keyboard. The small desk prevent me from using bluetooth standalone fullsize keyboard and bluetooth case is really small for me to type on. :S

I guess I might do that, lol. Making list of Pros and Cons. :S

Ahaha, as mush as I want to be done with just using my iPad and getting a keyboard. The small desk prevent me from using bluetooth standalone fullsize keyboard and bluetooth case is really small for me to type on. :S

but as I was saying, most Chromebooks are 11.6" meaning you still have a crappy small keyboard although I guess there are some 13/14" models around I mean the keyboard on an 11.6" macbook air is really nice, I frequently type on my gaming netbook too which is 11.6" :D its doable

but as I was saying, most Chromebooks are 11.6" meaning you still have a crappy small keyboard although I guess there are some 13/14" models around I mean the keyboard on an 11.6" macbook air is really nice, I frequently type on my gaming netbook too which is 11.6" :D its doable

Yep, I am aware about 13"/14" and possibly 15" and don't remember about 17" Chromebook, lol.

Welp, I guess thanks for the help. :P

Even though it isn't much and still can't decide, I will think about it later this day.

By the way, my last option which I want to avoid is use my laptop, Lenovo IdeaPad Y580.

It is a gaming laptop, well, the problem is that it is heavy to lug around my classes, and I have to sit near the outlet to use it. I mean, I get like what, less than hour of battery life, lol?

Sadly, I sit in the front and middle, so I don't have an outlet near me and people from the back can see on my screen. :S

Considering it have a chiclet keys I believe, it will be annoying to my classmates that I am typing loud and fast, lol.

By the way, my last option which I want to avoid is use my laptop, Lenovo IdeaPad Y580.

It is a gaming laptop, well, the problem is that it is heavy to lug around my classes, and I have to sit near the outlet to use it. I mean, I get like what, less than hour of battery life, lol?

Sadly, I sit in the front and middle, so I don't have an outlet near me and people from the back can see on my screen. :S

Considering it have a chiclet keys I believe, it will be annoying to my classmates that I am typing loud and fast, lol.

according to this http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y580-20994BU-Laptop-Review.78974.0.html

you should get about 4 and a half hours of battery life surfing the web / basic documents etc 

well any keyboard people will hear, thats just the nature of keyboards, none are silent! , surely even a 14" chromebook people can see the screen its not much differnet and a small 11.6" is not much larger than an ipad keyboard

I understand its heavy though, should could sell it and get a thinner lighter laptop - like an HP Omen/Acer Nitro/MSI Ghost/gigabyte p34x

lots of options ;D haha sorry im not really helping

according to this http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y580-20994BU-Laptop-Review.78974.0.html

you should get about 4 and a half hours of battery life surfing the web / basic documents etc 

well any keyboard people will hear, thats just the nature of keyboards, none are silent! , surely even a 14" chromebook people can see the screen its not much differnet and a small 11.6" is not much larger than an ipad keyboard

I understand its heavy though, should could sell it and get a thinner lighter laptop - like an HP Omen/Acer Nitro/MSI Ghost/gigabyte p34x

lots of options ;D haha sorry im not really helping

Haha, its alright. Yeah, I do want a thinner and lighter laptop. :P

Oh, I remember something.

There is one of Acer Chromebook that uses Tegra K1 I believe and claimed you get like 10 hours or so battery life. Sadly, white color isn't my type, lol. Maybe I can find a skin or something. :S