Getting SSD - Do I need Anything Else?

BKL

I'm going to purchase the Samsung 850 Pro with 1TB.  This will be more than enough space for me.  Would I need another HD or SSD drive for any reason?  Or will one SSD drive be fine.  In other words, do I need a different drive for my operating system vs. programs vs. file storage, etc?  I don't think so, but just want to confirm.

Thanks.

I mean if you're not going to take up a lot of space then no.. If you're going to need more than a terabyte for anything then of course you'll need another drive.

tbh one of my next upgrades is gonna be a 1TB SSD, nothing more would be needed for the average gamer/user.

if youre storing large files like high res renders and projects, then get an extra HDD to put that all on.

when you think about it, high capacity SSD's are a really good buy rn, hope to get rid of my HDD buy late summer

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

tbh one of my next upgrades is gonna be a 1TB SSD, nothing more would be needed for the average gamer/user.

if youre storing large files like high res renders and projects, then get an extra HDD to put that all on.

when you think about it, high capacity SSD's are a really good buy rn, hope to get rid of my HDD buy late summer

Keep you HDD as long term storage. Or use it for backups of you SSD. 

Keep you HDD as long term storage. Or use it for backups of you SSD. 

probably will throw it in my moms work pc

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I'm going to purchase the Samsung 850 Pro with 1TB.  This will be more than enough space for me.  Would I need another HD or SSD drive for any reason?  Or will one SSD drive be fine.  In other words, do I need a different drive for my operating system vs. programs vs. file storage, etc?  I don't think so, but just want to confirm.

Thanks.

In order to answer your question, you will have to ask this question to yourselves and once you have the answer to it, you will be able to answer the 1st question which you posted without us answering to your question.

Do you need anymore space (as in more than 1TB). If no, then do you want backup? (Which I personally think, backup are kind of important). If yes, Get another HDD to backup important data, be it it's a external or internal HDD.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

I run all my common functions off my SSD. (OS, drivers, peripheral software, antivirus) Things that you're going to use everyday. I put all my games/ downloads on a HDD just because I'm not accessing them as often and that's how I like to organize my stuff. If you're a gamer and use Steam or Origin, I would keep your HDD for games. They take up a decent amount of space and are constantly updating and if you're not careful you can run out of SSD space quicker than you would expect. 

Thanks.

Hey BKL,

Having another drive is always a good idea. Many types of files do not require fast access times or fast speeds and can be stored on a regular HDD (media, office documents, backups, etc.). More drives also means a higher level of redundancy. If you have everything on one drive, you would lose everything in case something happens with the drive. Having more drives gives you better redundancy in case of failure. Also I would strongly recommend having a backup of you decide to keep everything on the 1TB SSD.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/