Between These Two Coolers Which Is Better?

Lazmarr
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

Think I'm going to get the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 looks really nice. Also can I also change the fans on it?

Yes.

I'm going to be ordering a new system;
CPU: FX 8350
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CAS9 LP 1600
HDD: 2TB Seagate Baracuda
CASE: NZXT Phantom 820 Matte Black

PSU: XFX 750w Pro Black Edition

I'm aiming to go for a black and blue theme but I'm not sure which cooler to get, my choice is between the Dark Rock Pro 2 and the Phanteks PH-TC14PE.

I'm leaning more towards the Phanteks but I am unsure of which colour heatsink to get (either the blue or black) but I don't like the fans it comes with, as they are white and doesn't fit well with my colour scheme.

Is it possible to change the fans and if it is can you suggest some that are quite quiet and perform well; and can you suggest some blue fans for the black Phanteks heatsink and some black ones for the blue Phanteks heatsink?

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

The fans are changeable on the Phantek cooler.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

if your going for black and blue the the Dark Rock 2 the other cooler has a white fan shroud.

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

The Dark Rock 2 cooler performs better than the Phantek cooler.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

The fans are changeable on the Phantek cooler.

Can you suggest some fans that are blue and or black that will perform quietly and extremely well and will fit the Phanteks cooler?

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Can you suggest some fans that are blue and or black that will perform quietly and extremely well and will fit the Phanteks cooler?

Does the actual fan be blue, or can it just have a ring?(referencing Corsair SP fans)

Does the actual fan be blue, or can it just have a ring?(referencing Corsair SP fans)

The fan doesn't have to be blue, infact the corsair SP fans are almost exactly what I was looking for. They'll fit my colours nicely, thanks for telling me about them :D

I'm still not sure about the phanteks or Dark rock pro 2 though, the phanteks I can get for £59.96 and the dark rock pro 2 I can get for £53.24.

Which would be the better option?

The Dark Rock Pro 2 is a pure beast, in both looks and performance. You cannot be disappointed.

The fan doesn't have to be blue, infact the corsair SP fans are almost exactly what I was looking for. They'll fit my colours nicely, thanks for telling me about them :D

I'm still not sure about the phanteks or Dark rock pro 2 though, the phanteks I can get for £59.96 and the dark rock pro 2 I can get for £53.24.

Which would be the better option?

Which cooler do you like the look of more? 

Which cooler do you like the look of more? 

Think I'm going to get the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 looks really nice. Also can I also change the fans on it?

Yes.

Yup Dark Rock is much better looking cooler, but if you are not on "tight" budget you could go with Corsair H100i (has blue light on pump) and pair of Corsair SP120 (they have 3 changable rings, one is blue) :) !!

If you're going for a blue / black theme have you considered the Gigabyte 990-FX boards? They will probably suit you scheme better.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Yup Dark Rock is much better looking cooler, but if you are not on "tight" budget you could go with Corsair H100i (has blue light on pump) and pair of Corsair SP120 (they have 3 changable rings, one is blue) :) !!

I am on a bit of a budget, having to pay monthly for my system and keeping my Sapphire HD 4870 1 GB QP until the HD 9000 Series AMD cards are released.

If you're going for a blue / black theme have you considered the Gigabyte 990-FX boards? They will probably suit you scheme better.

Sorry for the late reply, my PSU exploded so I've had to find a laptop and order my new system :D

I did have a look at them, although the colour scheme would match better I couldn't pass up on the warranty of the Sabertooth.

Sorry for the late reply, my PSU exploded so I've had to find a laptop and order my new system :D

I did have a look at them, although the colour scheme would match better I couldn't pass up on the warranty of the Sabertooth.

Not to worry, I didn't notice the two year difference in warranty, I'd probably do that route then.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6