Semi Open/Open headphones with good bass?

MuffinsOfGump

Hey everyone, I was wondering if there are any good open headphones with good bass, since I mostly listen to dubstep, rap, and metal. Budget around $150-200 CAD. Thanks everyone!

Philips Fidelio X1 or X2 used. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, although there you're getting more upper bass and low mids.

Philips Fidelio X1 or X2 used. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, although there you're getting more upper bass and low mids.

What do you think of the AKG K612 Pro?

k612 isnt suitable for bass heavy music

As noted, probably not what you are looking for.

Stretching your budget probably but ebay for a pair of AKG K7XX or wait for Massdrop to get them again.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

Stretching your budget probably but ebay for a pair of AKG K7XX or wait for Massdrop to get them again.

Eh, I wouldn't say K7xx is a bassy headphone.

It definitely doesn't have that bass bump like the Fidelio.

If you can find a good price on them, the Sony MDR XB1000 have the most bass I've ever experienced in a headphone, and it's pretty good quality too. Only thing is finding a pair... (I have a pair, but they are currently having a couple mods done, and I love them to death, so...)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

If you can find a good price on them, the Sony MDR XB1000 have the most bass I've ever experienced in a headphone, and it's pretty good quality too. Only thing is finding a pair... (I have a pair, but they are currently having a couple mods done, and I love them to death, so...)

XB500 is the same thing for less.

XB500 is the same thing for less.

I'd like to disagree, as I've heard very differently. However, I can't speak from personal experience, as I've never heard the XB-500 personally. Other than that, the XB 1000 certainly looks much better, as least in my opinion... 

Specifically, I've heard that the 500 lets the bass bleed much more into the mids, which can really affect the way everything sounds. The 1000, to me, at least, keeps the bass all in the bass, while still keeping everything else quite clear. With mine, when the bass gets really low, the driver retains enough ability to flex that the bass never muddles or distorts the mids. The 500 may do the same thing, but as I said, I've never heard them personally. :)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

With mine, when the bass gets really low, the driver retains enough ability to flex that the bass never muddles or distorts the mids.

Huh, so that's how it works.

Huh, so that's how it works.

lol, I sense some sarcasm here :P

Hey! New SIgnature! 

The problem with the XB series is the good ones are discontinued, and the used pairs you can buy are pretty much all fakes by now.

From what I've seen, I can't find a pair of Philips Fidelios X1 or X2 for less than 200 CAD :(

From what I've seen, I can't find a pair of Philips Fidelios X1 or X2 for less than 200 CAD :(

Interesting... They were on Amazon for a while at less that $180 a couple months ago(I think...)

Here's a pair that you could try to negotiate down a bit: http://www.head-fi.org/t/761435/philips-fidelio-x1-28-new-in-box-free-shipping-to-conusI don't know if he will ship to Canada, but you could always inquire.

The problem with the XB series is the good ones are discontinued, and the used pairs you can buy are pretty much all fakes by now.

Ah, I was not aware of that... My particular pair was bought while I was in Japan (they are from Yodobashi camera, and I don't think they sell fake stuff, as they are one of the biggest tech stores in the world). 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

No, I don't think it is either.  But I DO think it has extremely good frequency response in the lower regions...  very tight and accurate sounding.  I prefer them to my M50s, even for bassy tracks.  Plus they are likely to be around US$100 cheaper than the X2.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

No, I don't think it is either.  But I DO think it has extremely good frequency response in the lower regions...  very tight and accurate sounding.  I prefer them to my M50s, even for bassy tracks.  Plus they are likely to be around US$100 cheaper than the X2.

Yeah, but you gotta consider possible amp price too. It's rather hard to drive, it requires more volume compared to HD600 as far as I can see

Yeah, but you gotta consider possible amp price too. It's rather hard to drive, it requires more volume compared to HD600 as far as I can see

Really all I've directly compared it to in those regards is my M50...  and the K712, which is identical for all intents and purposes.  Out of my Galaxy S5 or straight out of my sound card (or motherboard) all three would get loud enough to be uncomfortable.  Yes, the M50 got louder with just a little less twist on the volume knob, so to speak, but all three were capable of reaching usable volumes without an extra amp.