SLI 780 Ti or SLI 970

RasAlGhul
Go to solution Solved by RasAlGhul,

I recently upgraded from one to two 780 ti's, I'm loving the performance upgrade. I switched from an RM 650 psu to RM 1000 for extra cushion, plus amazon had them for $130 at the moment.

Not sure what 780 ti you have, but newegg has refurbished evga 780 ti SC ACX for $350. EDIT: They're $399 now, but there's a few other versions at good prices too http://m.newegg.com/ProductList?Keyword=780+ti

I've benchmarked two R9 290s in CrossFire on a 760W PSU, and they draw slightly more power than 780 Ti's, so you'll be fine with a 750W.

Nice find, I was about to hit up ebay this week but I'll just do newegg.  I have this one...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487102&cm_re=780_ti-_-14-487-102-_-Product  And thanks to everyone on keeping my power supply. I'm going with another 780 ti for now.

Since both monitors cost the same I'll try the Acer and if I run crappy I can always exchange for the Asus as it's the same price and Micro Center is only 10 minutes away.

I'm thinking of kicking things up a notch on my system. I want to upgrade to either the Asus ROG Swift or the Acer 4k with gsync. I currently have one 780TI and a Corsair RM 750 power supply. I've been told that with two 780 ti's that won't cut it. So do I sell the 780ti and get two 970's and keep the power supply or get another 780ti and upgrade the power supply. I'm still torn between the monitors but as of now I don't play Battlefield or first person shooters but I might get into it. Thanks for any help as this choice is making my head explode.

PC Specs : Click here

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm not sure about the power supply dilemma but the 780 Ti almost performs the same as the 980, so as long as 3GB of VRAM won't be holding you back, you should try to stay with the 780 Tis.

Sig under construction.

the 780 ti is faster than the 970

Not really, they are almost even but 970 has more VRAM. 

I'm thinking of kicking things up a notch on my system. I want to upgrade to either the Asus ROG Swift or the Acer 4k with gsync. I currently have one 780TI and a Corsair RM 750 power supply. I've been told that with two 780 ti's that won't cut it. So do I sell the 780ti and get two 970's and keep the power supply or get another 780ti and upgrade the power supply. I'm still torn between the monitors but as of now I don't play Battlefield or first person shooters but I might get into it. Thanks for any help as this choice is making my head explode.

Two 780Ti will be better then two 970. RM750 will be enough power for either configuration. 

"Rawr XD"

the 750 should be fine... 2 780ti's will give better performance

Thanks, I've been told it wouldn't work but was that Micro Center just wanting me to buy a power supply, huh?

It's in pretty much every case better then the 970 as individuals.

"Rawr XD"

wow 500MB more, you can play any game on ultra 4k without having your 3GB holding you back anyways, just cuz games want to use more Vram doesnt mean you will drastically lose performance

Thanks, I've been told it wouldn't work but was that Micro Center just wanting me to buy a power supply, huh?

Of course, there's always those people who think you don't know better then try to market you a 1000W PSU for two-way SLI even though that's way overkill.

"Rawr XD"

I would say if you going 1440p then two 970 should be fine but if your going 4k then I would consider a faster card with more vram. For example 980 or titan x. Another option would be to wait and see what AMD and nividia do later this year.

Your in the same position I am atm. I wanting to upgrade my two 670 sli and get a new monitor. I just not sure if I want to go 1440p, 144hz or 4k 60hz. And im not sure which card to get atm so I am waiting to later this year.

why cant there be a 4k 144hz monitor. Life would be simple lol.

wow 500MB more, you can play any game on ultra 4k without having your 3GB holding you back anyways, just cuz games want to use more Vram doesnt mean you will drastically lose performance

When you run out of VRAM FPS stays pretty much the same you just get a lot of stuttering.

I would say if you going 1440p then two 970 should be fine but if your going 4k then I would consider a faster card with more vram. For example 980 or titan x. Another option would be to wait and see what AMD and nividia do later this year.

Your in the same position I am atm. I wanting to upgrade my two 670 sli and get a new monitor. I just not sure if I want to go 1440p, 144hz or 4k 60hz. And im not sure which card to get atm so I am waiting to later this year.

why cant there be a 4k 144hz monitor. Life would be simple lol.

That's the exact situation I'm in. I'm itching to upgrade as the nerd in me is screaming but do I get 1440 @ 144hz or 4k @ 60hz and there's still no release date on on the new Asus 4k with gsync. If I'm shelling out $800 for monitor I want to make a wise purchase.

Wow, you guys reply fast and furious here..lol

Your system is similar to my own system with the same situation. All I can do is wait. ATM I use 120hz 1080p monitor. I love the 120hz and will never go back to 60hz but then again 4k looks better than 2k which I also want so I am stuck. Considing 4k needs a lot of power to run games at 60 I am leaning towards 1440p 144hz but the other side of me and thinking 4k will looks better. TBH ive been trying to see 1440p and 4k in action before I take the plunge but its hard to find where I live anyone or any place which has these monitors on display so I can see for myself.

Places like PCWorld in UK here don't display 1440p or 4k monitors. Not where I live anyway which sucks.

Your system is similar to my own system with the same situation. All I can do is wait. ATM I use 120hz 1080p monitor. I love the 120hz and will never go back to 60hz but then again 4k looks better than 2k which I also want so I am stuck. Considing 4k needs a lot of power to run games at 60 I am leaning towards 1440p 144hz but the other side of me and thinking 4k will looks better. TBH ive been trying to see 1440p and 4k in action before I take the plunge but its hard to find where I live anyone or any place which has these monitors on display so I can see for myself.

Places like PCWorld in UK here don't display 1440p or 4k monitors. Not where I live anyway which sucks.

I might see if they're on display here somewhere. You probably can't go wrong with either monitor and it will be cheaper to just get another 780ti and go with 1440p and then wait for the next wave of gpu's maybe. It won't be as if two 780ti's are slouches.

No, you were probably told to get the 780ti when you first bought it and  and just sli it in the future well THIS is your chance to SLI it otherwise its a never ending cycle

PC gaming comes down to two words.

Money, Upgrading.

It sure does doesn't it...rofl

im in the same situation should i get 2 970 or 2 780 ti

I recently upgraded from one to two 780 ti's, I'm loving the performance upgrade. I switched from an RM 650 psu to RM 1000 for extra cushion, plus amazon had them for $130 at the moment.

Not sure what 780 ti you have, but newegg has refurbished evga 780 ti SC ACX for $350. EDIT: They're $399 now, but there's a few other versions at good prices too http://m.newegg.com/ProductList?Keyword=780+ti

EDIT 2: Mobile link doesn't work on the desktop. Here http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=780+ti&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Corsair C70 case - i7 4790k - Corsair H100i - Asus Maximus Hero VII - EVGA 780 Ti SC x2 SLI - Samsung 250GB SSD - 2TB Seagate HHD - Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM - Corsair RM1000 PSU - Asus VG248QE - Logitech G700s Mouse<p>MSI GT60 0NE-403US Laptop - i7 3630QM - GTX 680M 4GB - Toshiba 128GB SSD - 750GB HHD - Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM

I've benchmarked two R9 290s in CrossFire on a 760W PSU, and they draw slightly more power than 780 Ti's, so you'll be fine with a 750W.

Nice find, I was about to hit up ebay this week but I'll just do newegg.  I have this one...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487102&cm_re=780_ti-_-14-487-102-_-Product  And thanks to everyone on keeping my power supply. I'm going with another 780 ti for now.

Since both monitors cost the same I'll try the Acer and if I run crappy I can always exchange for the Asus as it's the same price and Micro Center is only 10 minutes away.