i5 4590 not at full power

Go to solution Solved by Admiral Noob,

I know its been a long time since i wrote this post and i should have said something earlier but better late than never right?

So I tried the various things every one here said and none of it worked. So i assumed that maybe i just got the short end of the stick and i would have to live like this forever. Turns out it wasn't like that. 2/3 weeks later i got my hand on a genuine win 8.1 (was a pirate before, now i'm with the empire) So I clean installed that. And guess what, its works just fine. Now it even turbos with the stock fan. I have no idea what happened there. Can a driver issue cause such a problem?

Anyway its resolved now. And THANK YOU everyone who helped me. I really do appreciate the help :)

Hello everyone. I'm new around here and this is my first post. So bear with me plz  :)

Yesterday i bought a i5 4590 and ASUS H97 pro gamer MOBO. My problem is simple. CPU-Z shows that CPU is running at 3093 MHz instead of 3.3 GHz. How do I fix it? Also when does it go into turbo mode? Can I force it to go turbo?

If you run it at prime95, does it ever change to 3.7? Also is it thermal throttling?

That's not supposed to do that....

Hello everyone. I'm new around here and this is my first post. So bear with me plz  :)

Yesterday i bought a i5 4590 and ASUS H97 pro gamer MOBO. My problem is simple. CPU-Z shows that CPU is running at 3093 MHz instead of 3.3 GHz. How do I fix it? Also when does it go into turbo mode? Can I force it to go turbo?

What cooler are you using?

PS welcome to the forums :D

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

I have never heard of prime95 @Umzipumzi

I'm using stock cooler. @ADZ

You will never get your cpu to turbo on a stock cooler, if you get the hyper 212 evo then it will be constantly at its boost clock and much much quieter.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

But its so quiet I can't tell if its turned on without the light blinks. Even if if i press my ears against the case I can't hear anything. Anyways, why is it at 3093 MHz tho? That's my real problem.

If you run it at prime95, does it ever change to 3.7? Also is it thermal throttling?

From what I understand he shouldn't use Prime95 because it's a Haswell chip and I heard it overvolts them a lot.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

But its so quiet I can't tell if its turned on without the light blinks. Even if if i press my ears against the case I can't hear anything. Anyways, why is it at 3093 MHz tho? That's my real problem.

The problem is (I think) that your cpu is getting to warm for it to turbo because the stock cooler is crap. you need to get anything else then it will turbo.

From what I understand he shouldn't use Prime95 because it's a Haswell chip and I heard it overvolts them a lot.

Really? 

Hmm. Learn something new everyday.

That's not supposed to do that....

So i get that i need an after market cooler for it to go turbo. But what do i do for it stay at 3.3 GHz?? 200 MHz is a lot to lose.

If you right click on desktop there should be n Intel type of catalyst then there look for an option that will be on full power. And turn power saving off there too.

only on certain versions. i don't remember which one is the safer one to go with but i could search and come back with results

@op make sure you're using High Performance under power options.

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

I changed the profile from NORMAL to HIGH PERFORMANCE in bios. But no change  :(

I changed the profile from NORMAL to HIGH PERFORMANCE in bios. But no change  :(

no, power options in windows.

1740f81b90.png

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

did some peeking around, @OP make sure you're using Prime95 version 27.9 and not any other version of prime for the time being

otherwise i'd suggest using aida64 / intel extreme tuning utility / intel burn test instead.

But the thing is OP not every CPU is made equal, and you can't force the CPU to run on turbo boost at all times.

Thanks everyone for helping me  :D  I'll do some experiments tomorrow and see how it goes  :)

• 3 months later...

I know its been a long time since i wrote this post and i should have said something earlier but better late than never right?

So I tried the various things every one here said and none of it worked. So i assumed that maybe i just got the short end of the stick and i would have to live like this forever. Turns out it wasn't like that. 2/3 weeks later i got my hand on a genuine win 8.1 (was a pirate before, now i'm with the empire) So I clean installed that. And guess what, its works just fine. Now it even turbos with the stock fan. I have no idea what happened there. Can a driver issue cause such a problem?

Anyway its resolved now. And THANK YOU everyone who helped me. I really do appreciate the help :)