How do I cache a ssd

Starfox2819

Cache what ? A hdd with a small part of ssd ?

Try this 

Cache what ? A hdd with a small part of ssd ?

Try this 

That did not really help I wanted more of a guide on how to do it not an explanation. I do want to cache a small part of an ssd to the hard drive.

That did not really help I wanted more of a guide on how to do it not an explanation. I do want to cache a small part of an ssd to the hard drive.

Instead of caching, it might be worth re-installing Windows to this sdd as the boot drive so Windows will be snappier while you can store application/general data to any hdd's you already have.

This video might help you:

Also note, when you install Samsung Magician (necessary software imo,) be sure to set manually set over-provisioning to the recommended amount. Here's what it will look like when you finish:

MBSMfKW.png

Setting over-provisioning basically does nothing more than "extend the life of the ssd," so considering this drive already has a 10-year warranty, I wouldn't worry too much. You wouldn't believe the number of people on Tom's Hardware who claim that over-provisioning is already done by the factory. I can link you to a multi-page thread spanning 3 years, but I won't.  :)

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Btw, in order to setup ssd caching with a hdd, you need a motherboard with a specific Intel chipset (with Intel sata ports and not something like Marvell sata ports) and their SRT software that does clever things like put these drives in a bios raid so your OS will see 1 drive. I've had a bios raid before and I can tell you firsthand: there's going to be the occasional unforeseen problem that made you just wish that you simply bought a $500 raid card instead of dealing with "pseudo raid" bios configs. The only exception would be raid0 without parity checks, I wouldn't even run a mirror on a bios raid chip. Also, good luck with trim support on the ssd in that config -- it'll probably be a coin flip to see if it'll be enabled. And, when things go bad (as with all hdd's and ssd's eventually,) have fun trying to sort out where your data actually resides, assuming it's not in multiple chunks on both drives, oh myyyyyyy dat nightmare doe. Can you say "hourly backups?"

This would be something I'd be very, very uncomfortable setting up, and if you're just starting building pc's, don't even think about it -- seriously. Use the 2 drives separately. If you want the speed of the ssd, then backup your OS files and data and do a re-install of Windows to the ssd. If you keep storage data on storage hdd's and OS files on the ssd, you're going to have a much better experience than trying to jerry-rig a caching setup like you mentioned. Trust me. :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν