Need help confirming post code beeps.

DevilishBooster
Go to solution Solved by Smurfinater,

The code in the video is one short two long. the beep code is designed to take out all unnesecary speculation,  this beep code is a bad ram beep code, as confirmed here http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/compaqbeep.htm

I have this Compaq Evo D510 that I got for free. With the 512MB stick of DDR that cam with it install I can get it to boot to BIOS (no HDD installed). I have a DDR stick that doesn't have identifying stickers so I don't know it's capacity or speed. If I install it along side the original stick, or simply install it as the only RAM, I get this post code. I not experienced with post codes and I can't find a reference to this one. I'm guessing it means bad ram, but if the known good stick it still installed, shouldn't it still post to BIOS since it has 512MB of good RAM?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgVWnNwSMaA&feature=youtu.be

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

off the top of my head, i'm guessing thats a GPU issue.

off the top of my head, i'm guessing thats a GPU issue.

Well, it's integrate graphics and like I said when I leave in only the original 512MB stick it boots into BIOS just fine and there are no post codes. I can do a video of that as well if you need.

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Well, it's integrate graphics and like I said when I leave in only the original 512MB stick it boots into BIOS just fine and there are no post codes. I can do a video of that as well if you need.

i just recalled something: both dell and HP tend to do naughty things with their small systems, making you unable to use other brand's RAM. my school ran into that issue a few years back.

i just recalled something: both dell and HP tend to do naughty things with their small systems, making you unable to use other brand's RAM. my school ran into that issue a few years back.

Ah, that totally sounds like something they would do too..... Well, I guess this system will be sitting there with only 512MB of ram. Lol.

END OF LINE

Well, I found a random 512MB stick of unknown speed and tossed that in and it's working fine, so I'm guessing that this other unknown stick is just bad.

END OF LINE

Since you don't know capacity/speed/other specs about the RAM, the issue could be that it is unsupported by other parts in your system. Or it could be HP (Compaq = HP) is being a supreme jerk and not allowing other brands of RAM, like manikyath mentioned.

Since you don't know capacity/speed/other specs about the RAM, the issue could be that it is unsupported by other parts in your system. Or it could be HP (Compaq = HP) is being a supreme jerk and not allowing other brands of RAM, like manikyath mentioned.

I don't think it's HP blocking me because, like I said above, I tried a different, random stick and it working just fine. I'm guessing it's either a bad stick or the speed isn't supported.

END OF LINE

The code in the video is one short two long. the beep code is designed to take out all unnesecary speculation,  this beep code is a bad ram beep code, as confirmed here http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/compaqbeep.htm

Thanks for the site link. Like I said above, I was pretty sure that it's a bad ram module but I just wanted help confirming since I don't have a lot of experience with post codes.

END OF LINE

Thanks for the site link. Like I said above, I was pretty sure that it's a bad ram module but I just wanted help confirming since I don't have a lot of experience with post codes.

your welcome, mark as answered the :D